secret die roll ext not saving

perelandra67

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I recently started using the "secret die roll" extension. Works fine, except it is not saving the results upon reboot of VASSAL. Anyone have a solution?

Merry Christmas to everyone.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
The "hidden notes" and "secret DR" extensions only work for a given session. Which makes them pretty useless.
The issue is known for years and remains unfixed.

From time to time players that have not used those extensions before re-discover the problem.

The current "solution" simply is not use those extensions if you plan on multiple sessions.
Some people use HIP blank counters that they label.
Others use a number of textfiles that they protect with passwords. These files are sent to the opponent and the password for the appropirate file is revealed to the opponent when need arises.

My personal approach:
Forget all that and assume that your opponent does not cheat you.

von Marwitz

perelandra67

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
gotcha. fortunately I game with a good friend, so no worries about cheating. I just assumed the extension was was more useful than that. Sorry to bring up an old issue.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
gotcha. fortunately I game with a good friend, so no worries about cheating. I just assumed the extension was was more useful than that. Sorry to bring up an old issue.
No problem, mate. This forum is here to help.

von Marwitz

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I recently started using the "secret die roll" extension. Works fine, except it is not saving the results upon reboot of VASSAL. Anyone have a solution?

Merry Christmas to everyone.
Merry Christmas. If you are playing live, it's not much of a problem, since the secret die roller thing is designed for mud and deep snow mainly. Or at least that was the original intent. The guy will know by the end of that vehicle's movement, if it went well or poorly. If you were using it to track CG refit phase rolls, or something of that nature, then yeah, not really what it is made for.

BTW, where about in Boston? 55 miles SE in New Bedford, and there are many players in the greater Boston area.

perelandra67

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
we are playing Ozerekya Breakout. I was trying to record my secret refit rolls. No worries though.

I'm on the Northshore. There's a great group of veteran ASL'ers here too.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
we are playing Ozerekya Breakout. I was trying to record my secret refit rolls. No worries though.

I'm on the Northshore. There's a great group of veteran ASL'ers here too.
Mike P, Brian Sullivan, Jim Povey, those boys?

perelandra67

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
yep, those boys. They taught me everything I know, the hard way :angry:
Mike P and I got about a year into RB then my schedule changed so we had to stop.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
yep, those boys. They taught me everything I know, the hard way :angry:
Mike P and I got about a year into RB then my schedule changed so we had to stop.
Good bunch of guys. I hope you can make it to the Nor'easter this year. Twentieth Anniversary and all.