Searching - tougher on a board edge?

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So the first move of today's game resulted in a question.

A12.152 talks about the Search dr telling you how many Accessible hexes the unit may not search. What if you're on a board edge, like hex 45A7? Suddenly you've got two fewer Accessible hexes, since there's nothing offboard to your left. So if you rolled a 3 on the Search dr, you'd only be able to Search either B6 or B7 (in addition to your own A7)?

Seems harsh.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I would believe that this situation you describe was not thought of when the rule was formulated.
That said, I would play it that hypothetical offboard-hexes would be in the equasion, i.e. that the searching unit is always considered to have six hexes around itself for the purposes of Searching.

von Marwitz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I would believe that this situation you describe was not thought of when the rule was formulated.
That said, I would play it that hypothetical offboard-hexes would be in the equasion, i.e. that the searching unit is always considered to have six hexes around itself for the purposes of Searching.

von Marwitz
Seems like the best solution.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Off board "hexes" aren't accessible once the unit has entered the board, just like any other inaccessible hexes once on-board which would also preclude searching them. I don't see why you would be given any special dispensation just because your on-board unit has only 4 accessible hexes (in your example) in addition to his own to search (BTW with a dr of 3 the squad could search BOTH B6 & B7 as well as his own hex, a HS not so much). One reason not to allow off-boad hexes to be included, beyond the rules disallowing it, is that the unit has just crossed the LD/RP (Line-of-Departure/Release-point) and entered the battle space, its attention would not be focused on searching a secure area to its rear (hey that's just one of many possible "reality" arguments on which the game is supposed to be based).

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Off board "hexes" aren't accessible once the unit has entered the board, just like any other inaccessible hexes once on-board which would also preclude searching them. I don't see why you would be given any special dispensation just because your on-board unit has only 4 accessible hexes (in your example) in addition to his own to search (BTW with a dr of 3 the squad could search BOTH B6 & B7 as well as his own hex, a HS not so much). One reason not to allow off-boad hexes to be included, beyond the rules disallowing it, is that the unit has just crossed the LD/RP (Line-of-Departure/Release-point) and entered the battle space, its attention would not be focused on searching a secure area to its rear (hey that's just one of many possible "reality" arguments on which the game is supposed to be based).
The unit could very well be moving up the side of the board, in which case, he is severely penalized, just because the edge of the world he knows is beside his boots.

Russ Isaia

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'll take up the challenge of discomforting this self-congratulatory gaggle of gurus. [Meant most respectfully of course].

An Accessible hex is one that "a hypothetical Infantry unit" could advance into under normal APh conditions. Not the searching unit necessarily but a "hypothetical Infantry unit." An offboard hex ("butt any board against the board of entry," remember that?) qualifies as such for another offboard unit. I argue, of course.

And as to the reality argument (boo, hiss! Get thee behind me, Satan!). It applies equally to a "just-traversed" hex, which we know can be one of the ignored hexes. "Sarge, we just sauntered through that hex without anything going so much as "pop'"!

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I guess Perry has weighed in on this so the point is moot as far as I'm concerned and as for the "reality argument". HEY I just HAD to sneak an example in there somehow! ;)

Last edited:

Russ Isaia

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I guess Perry has weighed in on this so the point is moot as far as I'm concerned and as for the "reality argument". HEY I just HAD to sneak an example in there somehow! ;)
Is there a relevant Q&A? I didn't see one mentioned.

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is there a relevant Q&A? I didn't see one mentioned.