Searching in VotG and casualties due to Booby Traps

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The wording of this SSR is strange to me and makes me think booby traps do not cause casualty rolls in VotG. Am I reading that correctly?

VotG15 BOOBY TRAPS: Russians always have a Level C Booby Trap capability (B28.9) [EXC: in. the CG they may increase it to Level A or B by CPP expenditure]. Booby Traps are active over the entire VotG map, but are activated only by appropriate German TC. Minefield factors may not be exchanged for Booby Traps. Germans have no Booby Trap capability.

A12.154 SEARCH CASUALTIES: If a Location that is Searched/Mopped-Up contains an armed Good Order unit/minefield/Residual FP/HE FFE Blast Area, or if the DEFENDER has any Booby Trap capability (B28.9), the DEFENDER may make one Casualty dr per Search dr in an effort to cause casualties to the searching/Mopping-Up unit(s). This Casualty dr (which does not involve a "?" loss action) is in addition to, not in lieu of, any attack made by the DEFENDING unit(s). A Final dr ≤ 1 causes Casualty Reduction to the Searching/Mopping-Up unit (or units if Random Selection results in a tie). This Casualty dr is modified as follows (based on the concealed status at the time of the Search dr):

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The wording of this SSR is strange to me and makes me think booby traps do not cause casualty rolls in VotG. Am I reading that correctly?

VotG15 BOOBY TRAPS: Russians always have a Level C Booby Trap capability (B28.9) [EXC: in. the CG they may increase it to Level A or B by CPP expenditure]. Booby Traps are active over the entire VotG map, but are activated only by appropriate German TC. Minefield factors may not be exchanged for Booby Traps. Germans have no Booby Trap capability.

A12.154 SEARCH CASUALTIES: If a Location that is Searched/Mopped-Up contains an armed Good Order unit/minefield/Residual FP/HE FFE Blast Area, or if the DEFENDER has any Booby Trap capability (B28.9), the DEFENDER may make one Casualty dr per Search dr in an effort to cause casualties to the searching/Mopping-Up unit(s). This Casualty dr (which does not involve a "?" loss action) is in addition to, not in lieu of, any attack made by the DEFENDING unit(s). A Final dr ≤ 1 causes Casualty Reduction to the Searching/Mopping-Up unit (or units if Random Selection results in a tie). This Casualty dr is modified as follows (based on the concealed status at the time of the Search dr):
I feel you are mixing up terminology here. A TC may still cause Booby Trap casualties as per the rules you cited but searching is not a TC activity and thus cannot activate Booby Traps but may still cause Search Casualties in the normal manner. "
  • 10.1 MORALE CHECK (MC)/TASK CHECK (TC): ... If a unit checks morale in order to be allowed to perform some action it is termed a Task Check (TC).
  • 12.152 SEARCHING: ...expending one additional MF in its present hex and making a Search dr...