Searching for rules meta-rule

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Having a rough day JR

:mad:
Not really. I was thinking about a rules question I was asked and how it came to be asked. But since it is a universal meta-rule, everyone has experienced it at least once. Even people who don't play ASL.

JR

Last edited:

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Hi JR

Just keep being that good bloke you are by helping us that seem to forget rules (and yes Aaron I am highlighting!)
It great brains like yours are with us

Cheers

Rob:)

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd say that the first rule is, "Picture where it was in the v1 ASLRB, then imagine what page it got moved to in v2".

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
A.2

I don't know how it applies in this situation, but this seems to be the answer to just about anything.

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
In my limited experience, the rule you are looking for is always either a) about two lines down from where you stopped reading, or b) actually in the middle of the rules section that you just carefully read through.

The rules, I think, have a life of their own, and sometimes do not want to be read. I have heard that the original rules were actually copied from a tome written in Germany in the late middle ages- the ill-thought Cultum Serpentis Oculos, which was immediately banned by the Jesuits. But it is rumoured that this is but a reflection of a far darker work, Est Duodecies Duodecim, which according to some forms the basis for the code in the VASL random number generator. I know that there may be much darker reasons than we may ever want to know of behind the non-release of the eASLRB...

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
Whenever a rule you are looking for could be in one of several places, it's in the other.

JR
That's why ASL is a two player game. If you run into that situation, one player looks in one place, the other player looks in the other. There is a chance that the rule is in a third place, but it doesn't happen very often.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
That's why ASL is a two player game. If you run into that situation, one player looks in one place, the other player looks in the other. There is a chance that the rule is in a third place, but it doesn't happen very often.
The fourth thing is that the rule was in SL but greatly modified in ASL or not in ASL at all.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
1) That rule you are looking for belonged to the SL system
2) Common sense doesn't exist in the index and won't help you answer a rules question
3) If you don't agree with jrv and Klas, don't even post your answer: you are undoubtedly wrong.

Nineteen Kilo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The fourth thing is that the rule was in SL but greatly modified in ASL or not in ASL at all.
I can't tell you how many times someone in my gaming circle (including myself) has said, "Is that left over Squad Leader knowledge?"

In golf if you pick up a bad swing habit it becomes muscle memory and is damn near impossible to get rid of. Knowing the Squad Leader Rules has much the same affect on the ASL brain - impossible to exorcise.

Last edited:

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Another one is to remember: if it was on the right hand side of the 2 page layout in the RB it is on the left hand side in the pocket RB, drives me mad!

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Damn! That's why my SASL opponent is always kicking my butt!!1He knows the rules WAAYYY better than I do! :)

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can't tell you how many times someone in my gaming circle (including myself) has said, "Is that left over Squad Leader knowledge?"

In golf if you pick up a bad swing habit it becomes muscle memory and is damn near impossible to get rid of. Knowing the Squad Leader Rules has much the same affect on the ASL brain - impossible to exorcise.
Aha - I finally figured out why all my 8 irons keep getting lost in the water hazards... :eek::D

dur

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you can't find the rule you're looking for, it's probably in A2 (not A.2).