Searching casualties & AT Mines

milhaud

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Should a searching unit dr for casualties if a AT Minefield is searched?
Thanks in advance for any reply.
Best wishes
Ramón

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Yes. AT Mines (in any quantity) are still considered a "minefield":

12.154 SEARCH CASUALTIES: If a Location that is Searched/Mopped-Up contains an armed Good Order unit/minefield/Residual FP/HE FFE Blast Area, or if the DEFENDER has any Booby Trap capability (B28.9), the DEFENDER may make one Casualty dr per Search dr in an effort to cause casualties to the searching/Mopping-Up unit(s).​
B28.5 ...A-T Mines may compose a minefield hex of their own of from one to five factors, or be included in any strength from one to five factors in a normal A-P minefield.​

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for this question, I’d forgotten minefields and resid cause search casualties.

buser333

Reaction score
I don't know that I agree. The rule says "the Defender may make one...dr"
Sounds to me like it's at the discretion of the Defender.

buser333

Reaction score
(I agree with Binchois)
Buser333. Why would you not roll?
I actually had a situation come up where I had both AP and AT mines. My opponent did a lot of searching and discovered my minefields. Had I been astute at the time I would not have made search casualty rolls for any of these searches to keep him in the dark as to which type they were. As it was I rolled for the AP mines but not for the AT mines. It thus became obvious to him which were which and I think I would've been better served allowing him to guess.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Searching will cause search casualties regardless of the type of minefield (A12.154 [note there it says minefield, not AP minefield])...a plain AT midfield can cause casualties (the mines have anti-handling devices abstractly built into them), and you do not have to tell your opponent the type or strength as a result of his successful search of that hex, just that "there are mines there". And then you get to say "let see if you set off the anti-handling device." And you make the dr.

There is no reason to not roll. You are not giving away anything about your defense other than what you were required to do by rule A12.152.

Last edited:

buser333

Reaction score
Searching will cause search casualties regardless of the type of minefield (A12.154 [note there it says minefield, not AP minefield])...a plain AT midfield can cause casualties (the mines have anti-handling devices abstractly built into them), and you do not have to tell your opponent the type or strength as a result of his successful teach of that hex, just that "there are mines there". And then you get to say "let see if you set off the anti-handling device." And you make the dr.

There is no reason to not roll. You are not giving away anything about your defense other than what you were required to do by rule A12.152.
OK good to know. Then I completely agree there is no reason not to roll.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
It seems that searching is about the only way infantry can be harmed by AT mines... even cleanring them is not dangerous.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
B24.74 "any Original Minefield Clearance DR of 12 (11 or 12 if Inexperienced) results in Casualty Reduction vs the clearing unit(s)."

JR
More evidence of [abstract] anti-handling / searching against devices...

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Now that I think about it, it's probably a reportable safety issue. You have to fill out the proper reports, plus, on a DR of 12, there should be a side safety stand-down, will all units becoming TI. Ask your friend @JR Brackin about the right procedure.

JR

Last edited:

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Someone could have cut himself on a sharp rock or rusty plate while digging out the mines and have to go back for a tetanus shot.

JR
Or just a wire from the AT mine to a hand granade.... If I was at war, probably I would do things like that

Just if a boxcars...

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Someone (spanish special ops) told me about two identical mines made in two different countrys. In one the fuse was set clockwise, and in the other counterclockwise. They had access to both of them.

I gave credit to that anecdote
(France and Belgium? I cant remember, but I will ask him next time I see him...)