Searching a Location that is out of LOS!

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
This is for you PTO and Night fans out there...

A unit is in an illuminated Kunai location, he searches (A12.152) a light jungle hex containing an Concealed Enemy Unit.

G2.3 states that the Conealed Enemy Units's Jungle hex is out of LOS due to night blindness (E1.9, E1.101).

Is a successful search roll still able to reveal the out of LOS unit? :confused:

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I would say, "Yes, you can reveal the out of LOS unit".

A12.152 gives no requirements for having to have LOS to any of the hexes searched. Intead, the key criterion is "Accessible hexes". Therefore, even though you do not have LOS to the units in the example you gave, the hexes are accessible to you and therefore can be succesfully searched.

Dave Johnson

No one of consequence
Reaction score
Legion said:
This is for you PTO and Night fans out there...

A unit is in an illuminated Kunai location, he searches (A12.152) a light jungle hex containing an Concealed Enemy Unit.

G2.3 states that the Conealed Enemy Units's Jungle hex is out of LOS due to night blindness (E1.9, E1.101).

Is a successful search roll still able to reveal the out of LOS unit? :confused:
I say yes. The searching rule focuses on accessibility of hexes to be searched. If it's an accessible hex, it's fair game.

Bubba

Treadhead

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm currently NRBH (not that it matters, I've been mucking things up lately anyway), but...

Isn't part of the Index definition for "Accessible" that it is in LOS?

Regards,
Bruce Bakken

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
bebakken said:
I'm currently NRBH (not that it matters, I've been mucking things up lately anyway), but...

Isn't part of the Index definition for "Accessible" that it is in LOS?

Regards,
Bruce Bakken

Accessible
(an adjacent Location which a hypothetical Infantry unit could - ignoring any enemy presence - advance into under normal APh conditions): [Caves G11.6]

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Gentleman thatnk you for your replies... After i had posted and prior to getting Reepicheep's answer i had come to the same conclusion, but Reep provided the second opinion.

bebakken: I think this is the way that i was approaching it... i was doing a 'reality based' approach not a game-based approach, though to be honest the ruling is i think quite fair and 'real enough'

klasmalmstrom: Aint no doubt about it... that was the final nail in the coffin... I must admit that i have not quite come to terms with the brand-spanking-new Index thatv includes so much valuable information.

As a back-ground to this question it is the initial scenario of the ER CG. JP's US have formed a hedgehog around Hill 125. My IJA have claimed all of Hill 100.
I have snuck around to claim an objective hex that will allow me to basically set up adjacent to Hill 125 next game so JP has been forced to leave his 'Green Zone' to try to do something about it. I was just going to skulk away with my ?-ed unit in the jungle line, but he pulled a brilliant move that placed a massive and concealed stack adjacent to me, then followed it up with a sacrifical HS to Search my location... i was going to lose that ?-ment no matter what, and with it the likely-hood of a CC Ambush!

The AAR's will be up when we are done, it is currently US Turn 7