Sealion / Battle of Britain

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
If i understand the briefing right, an invasion of Britain is only allowed if the Battle of Britain TO is chosen and passes the success chance (50%). Is that right?

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No. The two aren't related except in that winning the B of Britain gives the Axis increased sea movement which comes in handy when invading the UK.

Raver

TOAW Ironman
Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
That's right, but good luck attacking britain without the sealift bonus. An old trick used to be to take Gibralta through Spain to boost the sealift enough to make sealion viable. Not sure if that still works though.

sapper32

Reaction score
Country
ll
No. The two aren't related except in that winning the B of Britain gives the Axis increased sea movement which comes in handy when invading the UK.
You also get additional units for Sealion, i think i got a Marine division and a LW support weapons unit

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Now, the Gibraltar trick is a bit gamey, isn't it? For mediterranean sea-transport it's okay, but not in the channel imho. And invading without additional seatransport will be very hard if not impossible. Current sea-transport can carry one infantry corps per turn across the channel. PzCorps would have be to be divided - with a loss of proficiency.
But the situation is too tempting with a part of the english army having been destroyed in Norway (1 Territorial Corps, 1st Armor Div and 1st Polish Division). But then the question is how fast do these units reconstitute? For comparison, i lost a Mountain Corps in the Invasion of Norway and got it back just a few turns later..
And what about the US entry - will it hit hard and fast or will it be a slow buildup? What's with the Soviets during an invasion of Britain? They could attack if things get bad for the Tommys which would remove my Barbarossa option if i'm not totally wrong?? A lot of questions...bear with me, i'm an EA noob.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Now, the Gibraltar trick is a bit gamey, isn't it? For mediterranean sea-transport it's okay, but not in the channel imho. And invading without additional seatransport will be very hard if not impossible. Current sea-transport can carry one infantry corps per turn across the channel. PzCorps would have be to be divided - with a loss of proficiency.
But the situation is too tempting with a part of the english army having been destroyed in Norway (1 Territorial Corps, 1st Armor Div and 1st Polish Division). But then the question is how fast do these units reconstitute? For comparison, i lost a Mountain Corps in the Invasion of Norway and got it back just a few turns later..
And what about the US entry - will it hit hard and fast or will it be a slow buildup? What's with the Soviets during an invasion of Britain? They could attack if things get bad for the Tommys which would remove my Barbarossa option if i'm not totally wrong?? A lot of questions...bear with me, i'm an EA noob.
Taking Gibraltar would allow use of Italian shipping to aid a cross-channel invasion. (Justification for perceived 'gameyness')
Allied player will not get Terr Corps back, does not reconstitute. 1st Armoured will reconstitute if the Allies have enough Mark VI tanks left, which depends on how bad a beating the division got before it evapped. 1st Polish will be back right away (2-6 turns).

US 'entry' will only happen if you take London (50% chance, if memory servers), and it will constitute 2 Inf Corps and an armoured Div, if memory servers. Just as important would be the extra two armoured divisions the UK gets with lend lease, which will happen sooner than US entry, provided one of the 'direct triggers' for US entry is not tripped (such as cap of London).

The biggest deterrent to an Axis invasion of the UK is the bad things that happen on the Eastern Front (more to come, dinner time).

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
On the Eastern Front a) Upon invasion of the UK, the Germans may not attack the USSR for two months, and b) The Soviets may initiate a Soviet-German war a month after the Germans invade the UK, sot he Russians can start the war, kill the Barb bonus and be better off for it.

Raver

TOAW Ironman
Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Agree with Veers - it probably is a bit gamey, but not too bad in the scheme of gamey things in this game. Not nearly so bad as the old "use the barbarossa bonus to take Malta" trick. In my experience sealion is suicidal because you lose any real chance of beating russia, which of course means you'll eventually lose.

Raver

TOAW Ironman
Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
On a related note - Veers are you still working on upgrades to EA? I know you had a huge setback a while ago but EA is still one of my all time favourite games for TOAW.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
On a related note - Veers are you still working on upgrades to EA? I know you had a huge setback a while ago but EA is still one of my all time favourite games for TOAW.
Yes. I look forward to the release of the 3.4 patch,which solves a few specific annoyances, then shortly afterwards we will have EA 4.0.

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
On the Eastern Front a) Upon invasion of the UK, the Germans may not attack the USSR for two months, and b) The Soviets may initiate a Soviet-German war a month after the Germans invade the UK, sot he Russians can start the war, kill the Barb bonus and be better off for it.
Looks like there are too many downsides to Sealion. I think Dierk definitely would invade with the Soviets, who not? Bummer - the defence of Britain is significantly weakened after the recent events in Norway. :(

What would happen with the CW troops (ANZAC, Malta, Gibraltar etc) in the case GB surrenders?

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Allied player will not get Terr Corps back, does not reconstitute.
More's the pity. I sent them guys because I considered them expandable (and because they're light weight). I didn't think "expendable" would become true so literally.

1st Armoured will reconstitute if the Allies have enough Mark VI tanks left, which depends on how bad a beating the division got before it evapped. 1st Polish will be back right away (2-6 turns).
So were the RM btw--already back in London.

Truth is, I had no idea deploying troops to Norway was such a bad idea. Neither did I think they'd take such a beating so quickly, nor did I believe I wouldn't have time to extract them again before a threat in the West developed. And I thought the French would hold out better. And finally I never thought Britain's position would be so precarious that the equivalent of four divisions would make a difference. :OHNO:

As I said, it's my first EA game too. I am playing this rather blindfolded. Can be a good experience (our historical counterparts didn't know the scenario either), but also rather devastating at times. :rolleyes:

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Truth is, I had no idea deploying troops to Norway was such a bad idea. Neither did I think they'd take such a beating so quickly, nor did I believe I wouldn't have time to extract them again before a threat in the West developed. And I thought the French would hold out better. And finally I never thought Britain's position would be so precarious that the equivalent of four divisions would make a difference. :OHNO:

As I said, it's my first EA game too. I am playing this rather blindfolded. Can be a good experience (our historical counterparts didn't know the scenario either), but also rather devastating at times. :rolleyes:
Learn in the west and then apply that knowledge where it counts, in the east.

sapper32

Reaction score
Country
ll
Yes, only the red army is total cr**. Remember how they couldn't even whip those Lithuanians. :angry:
The Reds are much better on the defense and put up a good show after the shock bounus runs out well they did in my last game anyway,in my current game they havent attacked uet only turn 57.

Mark Stevens

Europe Aflame Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
ll
The customary ten pound note is in the post again Jason, but don't push it.

Raver

TOAW Ironman
Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Excellent Mark. I should be able to buy a new grass skirt and move the family into a bigger mud hut.