Schwerpunkt update

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi ASLers,

Schwerpunkt Volume #10 is nearing completion. We expect to release it early this summer (no date has been set). This is an unusual year in that we are planning to release Schwerpunkt #11 also before the end of 2004, hopefully at ASLOK 2004 or perhaps at Intensive Fire in England.

If you are interested in playtesting Volume #11 or would like to write a scenario analysis/article, please let me know.

Also, we have not heard a great deal of feedback on Schwerpunkt Volume #9. We operate on the assumption that no news is good news. If you have played a Schwerpunkt Volume #9 scenario recently, please post your results to ROAR. An AAR to this list would also be nice.

If you have any suggestions or comments about upcoming issues of Schwerpunkt please send them to me now. I love to hear your suggestions before we go to press. Hearing them at ASLOK is nice but they are most useful at this stage of production.

I hope you get a chance to play ASL this weekend. The Tampa ASL Group will be hard at work playtesting Schwerpunkt Volume #11 this Saturday (4/10/04) at Hobbytown USA in Brandon, FL.

Evan Sherry
Editor, Schwerpunkt

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello Evan. FWIW, I am most interested in tourney-sized scenarios that can be completed in an evening. Combined arms with a *manageable* number of vehicles is another plus that will get me to actually play it. I just don't have time for 8-10 turn armor slugfests.

Another suggestion -- while I haven't played it YET (it's on the play list) -- I am intrigued by The Swamill's variable VCs. Perhaps more of these or the inclusion of fog-of-war elements such as variable OB, VCs. This also helps replay value.

Thanks for asking.

Houlie

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
<< I am most interested in tourney-sized scenarios that can be completed in an evening. Combined arms with a *manageable* number of vehicles is another plus that will get me to actually play it. I just don't have time for 8-10 turn armor slugfests. >>

We plan to stay with the basic Schwerpunkt concept that has work for us since 1996. We prefer small to medium sized scenarios for a couple of reasons. First, we can playtest them more quickly and more frequently that larger scenarios. Second, we like to play a lot of ASL scenarios. Small scenarios permit our group to play a more varied selection of theaters, time periods, and nationalities. Finally, smaller scenarios permit players to play more opponents, which is always a fun.

<<Another suggestion -- while I haven't played it YET (it's on the play list) -- I am intrigued by The Swamill's variable VCs. Perhaps more of these or the inclusion of fog-of-war elements such as variable OB, VCs. This also helps replay value.>>

I liked the Sawmill also. The varible VC (Mission) is a cool feature that we will incorporate from time to time as scenario designs permit.

Thanks your your comment,

Evan Sherry
Editor, Schwerpunkt

Evan Sherry@aol.com

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello Evan. FWIW, I am most interested in tourney-sized scenarios that can be completed in an evening. Combined arms with a *manageable* number of vehicles is another plus that will get me to actually play it. I just don't have time for 8-10 turn armor slugfests.
Worth mentioning the name of the game is Advanced Squad Leader. Not Advanced Tank Commander :wink:

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually, there are a number of recent Schwerpunkt scenarios I haven't played because I didn't think they were manageable--especially in the large # of vehicles. I have not particularly cared for this apparent trend.

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
<<Actually, there are a number of recent Schwerpunkt scenarios I haven't played because I didn't think they were manageable--especially in the large # of vehicles. I have not particularly cared for this apparent trend.>>

Schwerpunkt #9 scenarios were a little larger that some of our previous work. This came about as a result of earlier criticism that some Schwerpunkt scenarios in the past were too small and too dicey. I do not necessarily agree with that criticism but we did listen. It is also a product of research and scenario topic selections. SP#97 Twilight of the Reich has a good mix of infantry/AFVs and is suitable for tournament play.

The larger scenarios, SP98 Pesky Pachyderms, SP99 The Feineisen Factor, SP101 Jura Juggernaut, and SP102 Le Diable Noir, and SP106 After the Tea Bereak are definitely larger actions. The remaining scenarios have fewer vehicles but the scenarios are a little longer than some of our earlier work. Again, this is a result of research and player requests.

As the editor of Schwerpunkt, I have a standing policy of printing no scenario with a scenario length greater than 9.5 turns. In general, when players are looking for scenarios, they regularly reject scenarios of 10 turns or more without even reading them. We want to avoid this.

Schwerpunkt Volume #9 scenarios have an average game length of 6.5 turns with an average playing time of 4 hours, 10 minutes per scenario. The longest scenario is SP107 at 9 turns with an average playing time of 4:30. The longest duration scenarios are SP101 Jura Juggernaut (6:00) and SP105 Black Monday and SP106 After the Tea Break, both at 5:00.

An medium sized scenario between two experienced players should rarely take more than 45 minutes to complete. Anything longer than that means that someone is dithering around too much and need to get on with the game. My point is that up to 6 vehicles per side should be no problem. After that I will agree that the game could reach that magic 1 hour turn that I really try to avoid.

Evan Sherry
Editor, Schwerpunkt

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually, I love the larger (mostly infantry) games no matter what the length. 10 turn scenarios or high do not put me off at all.You just have to committ an entire Saturday to play (rahter than playing 2 shorter ones)

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Large actions

Hi Evan-

I enjoy the larger actions, so please keep the amount of different size scenarios the same as was in your excellent last issue.

Scott

Loquitor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I see Evan S. got his account booted from the ASLForums also...I got to make it over to Brandon sometime and play

George Lytle

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Loquitor said:
I see Evan S. got his account booted from the ASLForums also...I got to make it over to Brandon sometime and play
Playing tomorrow. . .

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree with Fred--I like,and prefer,larger scenarios.Ten turns or more are the ones I tend towards playing and usually come back to over time.

Any late-war Eastern Front larger scenarios in upcoming #10 pack???

MD

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Evan writes:
"A medium sized scenario between two experienced players should rarely take more than 45 minutes to complete. Anything longer than that means that someone is dithering around too much and need to get on with the game."

What??????

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
time

Yup;
only took my opponent and I around 2 to 3 hours to play a scenario like Assualting Tes or black monday.

And those are not all that large either.

Scott

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Evan writes:
"A medium sized scenario between two experienced players should rarely take more than 45 minutes to complete. Anything longer than that means that someone is dithering around too much and need to get on with the game."

<<What??????>>

Sorry, I had to sign off in the middle of the post. I meant that players should be able to complete a game turn in 45 minutes.

Evan Sherry

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SP scenarios

I like the current mix of scenarios, some large, some small. My preference is for short (5 to 7 turns) that are medium to large in size. I actually prefer those with more vehicles, 4 to 8 seems about right. When more vehicles are involved, the game has so many more possibilites and variations. As for the current issue, I have only played two. Twilight of the Reich is great for its size. I also played and liked For Whom the Bell Tolls, great fun, but I thought perhaps a bit pro American, although ROAR doesn't bear this out, so what do I know. I am looking forward to several more, The Feinseisen Factor, Easy's Bridge and Searing Soltau are on the radar screen. Too much new stuff to play this year!

Doug Kirk

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
I like the current mix, as seen in the last two issues. Good, tight, tourney-sized scenarios are always welcome, but it's nice to see some bigger combined-arms outings. The balance between the two seems to be pretty good at the moment.

In response to your request for AARs, Evan, I've only got one game in from Schwerpunkt 10, in which I'm currently facing Tom Repetti in The Feinesen Factor, in the second round of CyberOpen V. First time in a while that I've played a late-war US v German scenario of this size, and my setup (as the German) was not great. Tom's been able to hit my perimeter early and hard, and my right flank is collapsing rapidly. I underestimated the mobility and striking power of all those Shermans with GIs mounted up, and I'm going to have to do some juggling work to shore up my defense...