Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Believe it or not, I just recently read my copy of Schwerpunkt #23.

I can't believe that I missed anyone noticing that this issue of Schwerpunkt returned to using graphics in the counters on their scenario cards in the place of text in the counters. It has been ages since they did that. Did anyone comment on this? Am I the first?

Also noteworthy is the photo for SP271. A group of Dutch soldiers pose for the camera and one of them is in almost perfect ASL leader pose.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

I can't believe that I missed anyone noticing that this issue of Schwerpunkt returned to using graphics in the counters on their scenario cards in the place of text in the counters. It has been ages since they did that. Did anyone comment on this? Am I the first?

Also noteworthy is the photo for SP271. A group of Dutch soldiers pose for the camera and one of them is in almost perfect ASL leader pose.
You might well be the first!

Nineteen Kilo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I can't believe that I missed anyone noticing that this issue of Schwerpunkt returned to using graphics in the counters on their scenario cards in the place of text in the counters. It has been ages since they did that. Did anyone comment on this? Am I the first?...
Michael this is great to know! I stopped purchasing SP when they stopped using graphics and went to text counters. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'm off to Gamer's Armory!

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SP 23 used graphics, The Korean RPT issue went back to text descriptions. I really wish these ASL publishers that use text only, would use graphics, the VASL graphics can be used but why these text only publishers do not use that resource is mind boggling. It is free after all and is so much better then looking at a wall of text.

Futbol

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Whew! I thought I was the only one turned off by text graphics... its so much better when actual graphics are used, I would have bought many of their issues and some from other TPPs as well maybe its pettiness....

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Text only makes reading the scenario card very difficult, especially when the set ups are very complicated. SP is not too bad about intense wall to wall text on their scenario cards but frf, dtf and dftb have been many many times in the past. Plus the text only scenarios do look like shit.

Whew! I thought I was the only one turned off by text graphics... its so much better when actual graphics are used, I would have bought many of their issues and some from other TPPs as well maybe its pettiness....

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Definitely that was the original motivation (IMO) for Evan Sherry to remove graphics from his magazine. In more recent years, however, we have seen other TPP using graphics (their own, most often) in their counters. The above mentioned SP and RP products, however, seem to me to be using the same graphics as appear on the ASL counters that we use.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Does MMP have a different stance on this than AH used to? It is my understanding that, under US law, you must somehow "protect" your copyright or you risk losing it, but I think most of us would agree that the current state of the hobby, with many different TPPs issuing quality products that are meant to be used with ASL rules and counters, is good for the hobby in general, and probably boosts sales of official MMP products more than it could hurt them.

I too like to have some form of graphics in the counter depictions on scenario cards.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Does MMP have a different stance on this than AH used to?
I think that the warnings sent to some TPP who used official graphics were issued after AH crashed down, when Hasbro retrieved the trademark - and MMP purchased the license.
TPP (CH, Tactiques, ASL News, Schwerpunkt, Kinetic Energy, ...) under AH freely used official graphics.
IIRC, KE stopped producing after that warning was sent or know of.