Scenarios with Japanese troops but not PTO rules

Reaction score
First name
Ricardo
Country
llSpain
Hi,
I'm planning to start on PTO, and I thought it would be an easier approach if I started with scenarios where the Japanese are present but there are no PTO rules apart from the presence of the Japanese, so that I can learn the particularities of these troops first. Could you help me find them? Do you recommend any in particular?
Thank you all!

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Look for Japanese vs Russian scenarios .. or Japanese vs Chinese scenarios that are NOT in Burma and (a lot fewer) Japanese vs British (Canadian) scenarios that are in Hong Kong.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi,
I'm planning to start on PTO, and I thought it would be an easier approach if I started with scenarios where the Japanese are present but there are no PTO rules apart from the presence of the Japanese, so that I can learn the particularities of these troops first. Could you help me find them? Do you recommend any in particular?
CH14 Ninety Minute War is short and sweet, with infantry only and the Japanese attacking, which is as basic as it will get with the Japanese.

However, learning the following PTO terrain rules will open up a lot more scenarios and are not very difficult, IMO. Most PTO scenarios never use G8 - G18, and, of course, skip the Night rule sections until needed.

G.1 to G.6 (All these have to do with PTO)
G2 Jungle (most scenarios are Light Jungle only BUT the Bamboo rules refer to Dense Jungle, so you have to read that too)
G3 Bamboo
G4 Palm Trees (the rule is one paragraph long)
G5 Huts (the most complicated of all the PTO "easy" PTO terrain, may not be needed for some scenarios)
G6 Kunai
G7 Swamp

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Despite some of the suggestions above, I'd advise a scenario where the Japanese player is attacking without any armor. The Japanese are more difficult to use defensively than offensively IMO. Also, again IMO, scenarios where the Japanese are attacking are often more fun than when they are defending. And I mean that for both sides--trying to defend against a Japanese attack is more fun than attacking a Japanese defense. It's reminds me of Quint's "remembrance" of surviving the torpedoing of the USS Indianapolis--link arms and start kicking and hope.

Reaction score
First name
Ricardo
Country
llSpain
Thanks guys for your help. My friend and I now have a list of scenarios to start thanks to you all.
See you in the battlefield!

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Despite some of the suggestions above, I'd advise a scenario where the Japanese player is attacking without any armor. The Japanese are more difficult to use defensively than offensively IMO. Also, again IMO, scenarios where the Japanese are attacking are often more fun than when they are defending. And I mean that for both sides--trying to defend against a Japanese attack is more fun than attacking a Japanese defense. It's reminds me of Quint's "remembrance" of surviving the torpedoing of the USS Indianapolis--link arms and start kicking and hope.
Sometimes they go away, sometimes they don't

benj

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Mayhem in Manila (A103), fairly balanced, lot of toys but not too much. The Japanese are on the defensive with the Americans having a lot of support. So the Japanese have to use as much as possible of they assets to win.

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The first few scenarios of BFP Blood and Jungle are Jap-Chi, urban, non PTO, early war with NA for Banzai, Dare Death, No Quarter, etc. Ie, no fun. JK. But simple.

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Ricardo,
I'll be posting a couple of PTO After Action reports soon. Keep a look out in the AAR section; usually there's good feed back from the forumites when you play a rule incorrectly.

ozradio

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The first few scenarios of BFP Blood and Jungle are Jap-Chi, urban, non PTO, early war with NA for Banzai, Dare Death, No Quarter, etc. Ie, no fun. JK. But simple.
I'm in the middle of playing these with someone and was thinking of the same scenarios.

Reaction score
First name
Ricardo
Country
llSpain
Ricardo,
I'll be posting a couple of PTO After Action reports soon. Keep a look out in the AAR section; usually there's good feed back from the forumites when you play a rule incorrectly.
Thanks for the information. I am looking forward to reading them.

Reaction score
First name
Ricardo
Country
llSpain
I'm in the middle of playing these with someone and was thinking of the same scenarios.
I have finally started with Smertniki, which we finished rather quickly (my Russian units were massacred!) and next is BFP 26 Armored Samurai, I am playing with the Chinese army. Thank you