Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
View attachment 15385

With a 40 metre grid applied. I can see the value in exaggerating the size of the island for playability purposes - though to a point. Looks like the actual battle was decided in large part by the naval forces, which could be a unique twist for an ASL match.
Either exaggerate the size of the island or do the map as DASL. Just a thought.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
That's damn brilliant, though you'd lose the naval portion that way
Hm, how far would naval units close in for firing? Probably, they'd stay further out than what is depicted by the map with smaller hexes I suppose. It might be an issue, though, if they would close in to land reinforcements.

von Marwitz

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
Hm, how far would naval units close in for firing? Probably, they'd stay further out than what is depicted by the map with smaller hexes I suppose. It might be an issue, though, if they would close in to land reinforcements.

von Marwitz
That is exactly what they did, reinforcements could only arrive by boats during the non-frozen periods of the year.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

von Marwitz
As much as I love the nautical stuff it is Advanced Squad Leader, not Advanced Sailor Leader. Let the Marines and NOBA handle the naval aspects of the system.

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
As much as I love the nautical stuff it is Advanced Squad Leader, not Advanced Sailor Leader. Let the Marines and NOBA handle the naval aspects of the system.
I see your point, but let me ask you this...
Using the same principle, should we now reject Chap E Air Support, after all ASL is NOT Advanced FLIGHT Leader.
Maybe we should insist on abstracted Air Support rules instead of having aircraft counters with the possibilities of aerial dog fights.

The point of Combined warfare is the you would and will use ALL resources available to you.
Boats of all kinds were used in the small seas and larger rivers in Europe in the 1940s by all major combatants.

Even in the 1960s, the river north of my base in Viet Nam was patrolled by a gunboat.
We did not complain just because they could not come on land.
I took many trips on a LCM along the coast on patrols.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I see your point, but let me ask you this...
Using the same principle, should we now reject Chap E Air Support, after all ASL is NOT Advanced FLIGHT Leader.
Maybe we should insist on abstracted Air Support rules instead of having aircraft counters with the possibilities of aerial dog fights.

The point of Combined warfare is the you would and will use ALL resources available to you.
Boats of all kinds were used in the small seas and larger rivers in Europe in the 1940s by all major combatants.

Even in the 1960s, the river north of my base in Viet Nam was patrolled by a gunboat.
We did not complain just because they could not come on land.
I took many trips on a LCM along the coast on patrols.
You are quite correct about the combined arms. Just don't want a bunch of squids stealing all your glory!!??

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
I will add some to Tom's original scenario request.
Maybe we also need some scenarios where BOTH sides have air support along with both sides having Infantry, Armor and artillery.
Quad support instead of triple support?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I will add some to Tom's original scenario request.
Maybe we also need some scenarios where BOTH sides have air support along with both sides having Infantry, Armor and artillery.
While this may not even been rare especially at the end of the war for the allies, the question is how many people will embrace playing such scenarios. While OBA is not exactly 'rocket science' any more with the advent of the OBA Flowchart and FB with Bombs might not be 'rocket science' either, I believe that a significant number of players will shy away from Air Support scenarios with OBA.

This is actually a pity and the same is true for Night, Desert, and Beach Landings, but there we are.

Maybe the best place for such things would be a 'chome scenario pack' dedicated to the rules sections rarely cared for or a single scenario in a regular scenario pack.

von Marwitz

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
While this may not even been rare especially at the end of the war for the allies, the question is how many people will embrace playing such scenarios. While OBA is not exactly 'rocket science' any more with the advent of the OBA Flowchart and FB with Bombs might not be 'rocket science' either, I believe that a significant number of players will shy away from Air Support scenarios with OBA.
Not if the scenarios get bigger.

tommyl

Reaction score
First name
Tommy
Country
llUnited States
With rules for the OBA knocking out aircraft in the same airspace?

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
With rules for the OBA knocking out aircraft in the same airspace?
Or at least with rules for mistaken AA attack. Or do we already have rules for that buried somewhere in Chapter E?