Scenarios that need Board 77?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Slopes were not incorporated into any MMP geo-boards that I'm aware of. However, BFP did configure some of their geo-boards with a modicum of Slopes for "BEYOND THE BEACHEAD" and "OPERATION COBRA". They're not overpowering in their use as in KGP and thus not as confusing and initially difficult to comprehend as in that offering. As a matter of fact, I have found the limited use of Slopes usually enhances the game/scenarios as presented by them.
Slopes were the Caves of KGP for me. I was never really comfortable with them.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Slopes were the Caves of KGP for me. I was never really comfortable with them.
A lot of verbiage in those rules but the concept was quite simple. The problem was their overuse on the map (IMHO). BFP uses them to denote slight rises in the terrain occasionally but doesn't seem to overo it. The same could be said for Barbed-Wire Fences in KGP. During the day they should have no impact on "Infantry" movement (easily discernable and overcome rapidly) and for Vehicular movement (even non-tracked) only penalize them for a Bog on a DR=12 with no Mods. Seldom does a simple row of wire offer much of hindrance to movement once one knows it's there. However, at night is when it becomes a PITA. Perhaps then add the .5 MF addition to cross and a Bog penalty. Of course, these are just my thoughts based upon observations of over 30 years in the military. Ah well, it is what it is.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
A lot of verbiage in those rules but the concept was quite simple. The problem was their overuse on the map (IMHO). BFP uses them to denote slight rises in the terrain occasionally but doesn't seem to overo it. The same could be said for Barbed-Wire Fences in KGP. During the day they should have no impact on "Infantry" movement (easily discernable and overcome rapidly) and for Vehicular movement (even non-tracked) only penalize them for a Bog on a DR=12 with no Mods. Seldom does a simple row of wire offer much of hindrance to movement once one knows it's there. However, at night is when it becomes a PITA. Perhaps then add the .5 MF addition to cross and a Bog penalty. Of course, these are just my thoughts based upon observations of over 30 years in the military. Ah well, it is what it is.
Very nice! Well thought out.

DonWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don, a Normandy hill like you are talking about sounds like it might be a good candidate for Slopes. Weren't they designed to simulate gradually-sloping hills?

I don't recall if Slopes are part of the Chapter B terrain now or not, if they are still just a KGP terrain type. Also, I don't think Slopes have been used on any geo-boards to this point.
Mark,
Thanks, and theoretically, yes, I think Slopes sound right for this sort of hill (as for many hills).
Unfortunately, for 2 reasons they don't work. One, the Slope rules aren't in the Rulebook - and two, more to a point I would make is that Slopes are too difficult to incorporate into play. I never use them in my designs for that reason - they're simply not 'friendly', and I wish they were. The same applies to Hillocks, etc..... I don't like spending more time trying to decipher rules than playing and I think most guys think that way too.

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Agreed for the most part, although I think Slopes are quite a bit easier to process than Hillocks.