Scenario title puns or Examining the The Tigers Wrecked' em

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I could not resist this one. We discussed this at ASLOK and it was agreed that The Tigers Wrecked'em ranked among the worst of puns. What are ASL's notable scenario title puns?

Evan Sherry

Commissar Piotr

War Pig
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hello Gents

What is a pun ? I think it is a try at a joke.
If I am right above, I still do not see what is fun with the scenario names stated in this thread, you mind explain it for us not as well versed in the english language.

(Not intended for anything but for the purpose to make me understand as I think it can be both educating for me and quite fun.)

DLYoung70

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Piotr,

"Tigers Wrecked 'em" equates to "Tiger's Rectum", with rectum being a medical term for a persons anal cavity and Tiger's (possibly) a rip at famous pro golfer Tiger Woods.

"The Attempt to Releive Peiper's Bulge" plays on the idea that a male experiences a "bulge" in his trousers when sporting an erection, and relieving this would be, well, a rather x-rated experience.

"Children of the Kunai" I'm not so certain about, because I don't know what Kunai is. Maybe it's corn, in which case the title would be a spinoff on "Children of the Corn", a popular but very cheesy U.S. horror film back in the 80's.

Hope that helps!

Darrell

Commissar Piotr

War Pig
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hello Gents

It helped, and was in fact not really what I had imagined so it really educated me as well.
Thanks.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A "pun" is an attempt at humor that depends on different words sounding identical or similar, or the same word used in two different contexts.

So, for example, if you said, "My cow is great," and someone replied, "that's udderly ridiculous," that would be a pun. It is a pun because "utterly ridiculouis" is a common phrase ("utterly" meaning essentially "very"), while an udder is a cow's teat.

"Nocturnal Attrition" is a pun because it references a "nocturnal emission," which is an ejaculation by someone while they are having an erotic dream.

Jay White

my sh*t is so tight
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Some might say puns are the lowest form of humour, and raise the hair on the backs of their necks.

*shudder*

:)

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So, Commisar Piotr, now you understand the "The Tiger's Wreck'em" pun; do you further see the "examining the tiger's wreck'em" pun. (and how dangerous/disgusting THAT would be?) and we don't need to bring Tiger Wood into the discussion since Tigers are also AFVs.

Yeah, kunai is a type of terrain, a kind of S.E. Asian grass, so the scenario is a take-off on the horrible movie.

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Could be :D

I'd call scenario titles like "Climax at Nijmegan Bridge" a 'double-entendre' not a 'pun'--you can take it two different ways. So, too, with "Relieving Pieper's" whatever. . .

More puns - suitable for the whole family - "Zon with the wind" and "Driel Team" (for "Gone with the wind" and "Drill Team")

paulkenny

Reaction score
DLYoung70 said:
Aww, c'mon... you don't think "Tigers Wrecked 'em" is ASL-speak for "Tiger Woods is an *sshole"?

:D

Darrell
I believe he ws refering to my scenario entitled Tiger Woods.

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
DLYoung70 said:
Aww, c'mon... you don't think "Tigers Wrecked 'em" is ASL-speak for "Tiger Woods is an *sshole"?

:D

Darrell
The title has absolutely nothing to do with any professional golfer. In fact, it's hard for me to make a connection to that with this particular pun.

Evan Sherry

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
I don't feel "The Tiger's Wrecked'em" has anything to do with Tiger Woods. Most likely it is because one of the easiest ways to kill a Tiger was a rear shot or "Up the A**".

Other Pun's "Lovat First Sight" "Smith & Weston" "Smoke the Kents!"

Also I found that the title of Gen T11 is "The Attempt to Relieve Peiper" no mention of Bulge. However VFTT and ROF did a CG V for KGP entitled "Squeezing the Peiper's Bulge."

'nuff said.

R.S. Barker

0-52 baby!
Reaction score
You know, I can almost see a spin-off where pundit names that SHOULD be scenarios are listed. One such example:

"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band of Brothers"

comes to mind. 8)

Cheers

DLYoung70

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nope, sorry Barker.

Barry Pepper was in "Saving Private Ryan", not "Band Of Brothers". And I believe he was only a pfc or maybe a corporal. So "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band of Brothers" wouldn't not be cinematically correct :D

Darrell

Harold

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
?

When this thread first took off I could not for the life of me "get" the title. I got Schwerpunkt #10 today and while looking through it the lightbulb finally went off. Ba da bum ! Still, the best titles are the Russ Meyer titles. You know which ones those are ;-)