Scenario setup files?

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Binko, appreciate the info.I have looked on the server listings that TS have, no ASL of Vassal listed. Not sure how ,or even if, you could use TS without first signing in to a server. But I'm no computer genius either.

Binko

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Binko, appreciate the info.I have looked on the server listings that TS have, no ASL of Vassal listed. Not sure how ,or even if, you could use TS without first signing in to a server. But I'm no computer genius either.
Yes, somebody has to have a Teamspeak account. Typically the guildmaster of an MMO guild will pay for Teamspeak and then the whole guild will use it. But it allows multiple channels to be set up. So commonly people will use it for other purposes also once they have access. What makes Teamspeak worth the cost is that it will allow dozens of people to be connected simultaneously.

Like I said above, Teamspeak would work, IF you already have access to an account. But if you have to buy a Teamspeak account just for ASL it would be better to just use Skype or something similar.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One of the guys had a teamspeak account years ago. When skype burst onto the scene, TS went by the wayside.

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks all. What you all describe is kind of what I figured. I'll stick with the Skype. I've d/l'd it and got everything set up. Not going to do a game yet though. I would like to first make myself familiar with everything in VASL. I don't want some dude having to wait on me fumbling around trying to find where stuff is in the counter mix or charts. I don't play very quickly as it is. Thanks again everyone.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Learn VASL the same way you learn ASL, infantry only, some guns, then vehicles, and then the chapter E and G weirdness. It will come naturally after that.

p3love

ASL Acolyte
Reaction score
Country
ll
Thanks very much Jazz and SA. Appreciate the input. I was not even really sure what the files were.If I may impose on you again, do most players use Skype? If you don't use skype how do you let your opponent know who you want to fire on? I really think these may be dumb questions, but I am not yet familiar with VASL, and am eager to know/learn.Thanks again guys.
I know, you just want a simple answer, right? Not an answer that actually creates more questions. Ok, here is the simple answer. Go to youtube and look for idjester Vasl tutorial. It explains everything. If you have any dramas after that get in touch with him. He's a good bloke and done a heck of a lot of fantastic videos for youtube regarding ASL. He will help you.

p3love

ASL Acolyte
Reaction score
Country
ll
Thanks all. What you all describe is kind of what I figured. I'll stick with the Skype. I've d/l'd it and got everything set up. Not going to do a game yet though. I would like to first make myself familiar with everything in VASL. I don't want some dude having to wait on me fumbling around trying to find where stuff is in the counter mix or charts. I don't play very quickly as it is. Thanks again everyone.

if you play on Vasl you wont have to look for counters (even if you dont actually own them) Used in conjunction with Skype its the best substitute for face to face and you can play anyone. Your opponent can talk you through any tricky stuff.

dgour

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
It's been such a long time but still Skype is best and current market leader as well!
Discord and Zoom work fine too - and Zoom takes seemingly less resources.
One could also add Google Meet.
Skype works well, but its interface is dated.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks very much Jazz and SA. Appreciate the input. I was not even really sure what the files were.If I may impose on you again, do most players use Skype? If you don't use skype how do you let your opponent know who you want to fire on? I really think these may be dumb questions, but I am not yet familiar with VASL, and am eager to know/learn.Thanks again guys.
Mate there are about 860 of us on the Discord server using it (audio) to play VASL and to chat (text) when not playing. Discord is more communal (and the software less "stone age") since it allows folks to freely join audio rooms etc. https://discord.gg/g2mHncC

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The Covid crisis has led many to try new internet communication systems.
And it helps to have more than one at hand.

crocoyes2

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
I know that, for the full ASL setup files, that they are obsolete, as they were made with older versions of VASL.
I am not sure about the SK ones.
As Corey said, setting up a scenario oneself is part of the pleasure of the game - I personally like to give a personal touch to my setups (I have my codes for labeling units and placing them, etc.)

I am also slightly paranoid, as I don't trust a setup file as being fully accurate when done by someone else - well, even if a known friend makes one, I do check the OB and other settings.
I believe that my own capacity of doing things wrong leads me not to be too confident in other peoples' infaillibility.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I am also slightly paranoid, as I don't trust a setup file as being fully accurate when done by someone else - well, even if a known friend makes one, I do check the OB and other settings.
I believe that my own capacity of doing things wrong leads me not to be too confident in other peoples' infaillibility.
Nothing wrong with always checking the OB and settings. After all, you also double-check the counters you have pulled out when playing face to face. However, an existing setup will still save you a lot of time than doing it from scrap provided it is not completely out of date. Some setup files specify the date and VASL version with which they were created which might give you a clue about their being up to date or not and which things might need modification.

von Marwitz