Scenario Pack(s) Idea

Luke Sineath

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think this is a great idea. Not only would it alleviate problems with not having a full kit, but if done well, could help ease players into the full rules by presenting scenarios which aren't too heavy. Most of the ones in BV are massive and intimidating.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

Do a Jap scenario pack using the core geo boards and call it: "Send more Japs" that would sell well and the PC's types like lemmings will have heart attacks over such incorrect PC thinking lol.

Scott

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Sorry but I think the answer to your question Snudl is really obvious.

You asked:

I'm not completely sure why designers need to confine themselves to geomorphic maps anymore.
If I am designing any scenario, and I got the research pieces I need, then all I have to do is comb through and assemble what I need out of the geo-boards and the available counter mix to create that scenario, with Hexdraw I have to create the map (which may take months) with geo boards I can create the scenario now and have it ready for play testing now.

And the next obvious answer is that by using the existing boards 50-75% (if not more) players will have that map.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Snudl wrote:
If this system were simplified, it would be possible to go back and retrofit old scenarios simply by finding a map or photo on-line and updating the map. It will, of course, screw with balance, but that is a problem that could be fixed.
Now you lost me, "this system"

A) This System (ASL) does not need to be simplified
B) This System (ASL) if you want a simplified system go see/play ASL SK
C) If you don't like/understand "This System" then perhaps "This System" is not for you and maybe you need to try something simpler.

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm not completely sure why designers need to confine themselves to geomorphic maps anymore. Using Google Earth and a drawing system like Jo Bader developed, you could easily make HASL maps and have them available to print out or use on VASL. There are also archives of aerial photography available on the web.
http://www.wwii-photos-maps.com/
This, potentially, eliminates the problem of open source issues and the need to purchase a large number of sometimes difficult to find mapboards.
If this system were simplified, it would be possible to go back and retrofit old scenarios simply by finding a map or photo on-line and updating the map. It will, of course, screw with balance, but that is a problem that could be fixed.

To me, one of the beauties of ASL, are the geo-boards.
I don't feel the need to draw up a board for a scenario(although I have done a couple for ASLSK).
Part of the fun of designing a scenario is going through the geo-boards and looking for
that combination that "works" for the action I'm trying to represent.
Sometimes, it takes a while to find the right board(s). But it's rewarding when it happens.
Unless I was going to be designing a HASL(which ain't gonna happen), I don't want to add
designing a board to the scenario design process.
Most of us who have been playing for a good while, are a little burned out on some
of the older boards, so having the newer ones to play on/design with is refreshing
and challenging since all the LOS aren't memorized.
*just my de-valued $.02 worth*

Srynerson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm wondering if there might be a niche for scenario packs that are conservative in their use of boards and overlays which would be aimed at new players coming into the hobby and graduating from the Starter Kits. One frustrating experience I've had is you buy a module, say FK&C, so now you have the British OB but, nevertheless, you still can't play many scenarios that feature the British because you don't have the boards and overlays (particularly true, of course, for newer scenarios).

So I'm thinkig of something like a set of British scenarios that use only boards (and components) from BV, FK&C and maybe SK#3. You could do similar treatment for BV and DB. Maybe one or two scenarios could stray from the rule but still only use stuff that's in print and readily available.

I certainly would have gobbled up packs like that if they were available after purchasing the various in-print modules. I've been lucky in that I've been able to afford the board bundle and a couple of out-of-print modules but a lot of players don't have that luxury. It seems like it would be nice, after having puchased something like FK&C, to be able to get some scenarios you know you can play and would tide you over until you can afford to expand your kit further.
I think this is a decent idea, but it might make more sense for companies with a long list of previously published scenarios (e.g. MMP, CH, etc.) simply to cull through their library of OOP scenarios and release them as such a pack rather than designing a bunch of new scenarios from scratch to meet the compatibility requirements.

Last edited:

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
(snip) ...
Most of us who have been playing for a good while, are a little burned out on some
of the older boards, so having the newer ones to play on/design with is refreshing
and challenging since all the LOS aren't memorized.
*just my de-valued $.02 worth*
Worth more than two cents I suspect. As a relative newcomer, most all of the boards seem pretty fresh to me so having to stick with a limited number of boards wouldn't dampen my enthusiasm.

I think this is a decent idea, but it might make more sense for companies with long list of previously published scenarios (e.g. MMP, CH, etc.) simply to cull through their library of OOP scenarios and release them as such a pack rather than designing a bunch of new scenarios from scratch to meet the compatibility requirements.
That thought occurred to me. Perhaps a mixture of new and previously published scenarios.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To the original poster. In a very real sense, there are already a couple of scenario packs that have done what you suggest. While it is true that this was not their intent, the scenario packs that provided the old SL/COI/COD and GI scenarios, along with the other old system scenarios, do just this. They feature limited map options and require quite limited kit. Such a scenario pack would be aimed at newer players transitioning from starter kit. Nothing wrong with that, and who is to say that a golden nugget or two could not fall from that tree. I think the appeal would be to a smaller audience, at least initially. If the packs gained a solid reputation as good ASL scenarios in their own right, you could develop a secondary market after original sales and playings, which could stem from the initial success of the pack with it's target market . After all, in addition to the just came from SK, and starting fresh market, there is an ever growing market for, "I left the hobby until the kids were in college, but now I am back" market. It could be done. Would it have the sales of a cool shiney new HASL with all the frills? I wouldn't think so, but it's not to say it wouldn't find it's own niche. It wouldn't hurt to give it a try. If you have no takers for the project as a whole, you could still find takers for the better individual designs. Besides, it is obviously something you want to do. Life is short, go ahead and do it. Who knows?

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
So I'm thinkig of something like a set of British scenarios that use only boards (and components) from BV, FK&C and maybe SK#3
Monkeys with typewriters 3 is a bunch of scenarios designed around the contents of BV (3rd Ed.) and you can download it for free in the download area.