The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Hi all,

I am posting this topic here, because I don't see where else it would really fit.

I just scanned my copy of "The Very Best of March Madness (Vol. 1).
Unfortunately, being in Europe, I have scanner which, even if its glass can adjust to the width of an Amercian Letter format, cannot scan larger than the A4 standard - the end letters of the sentences are not scanned (all is readable with some guesswork, thoug).

I plead here that scenario cards adapt to both formats.
That is using the smallest width and length between those two formats: 21 cm width and 27.9 cm long. (A4 is 21 x 29.7 and letter is 21.6 x 27.9)
And with enough margins to allow some adjustments.

It is not only a question of making oneself a backup copy, but also of adapting the format to transparent plastic sleeves (I am quite sure that I will have to trim my MM pack's pages to adapt them to my A4 binders - which always has the risk of cutting some of the text in the margins).

In short, try to design international formats for your scenarios.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Hi all,

I am posting this topic here, because I don't see where else it would really fit.

I just scanned my copy of "The Very Best of March Madness (Vol. 1).
Unfortunately, being in Europe, I have scanner which, even if its glass can adjust to the width of an Amercian Letter format, cannot scan larger than the A4 standard - the end letters of the sentences are not scanned (all is readable with some guesswork, thoug).

I plead here that scenario cards adapt to both formats.
That is using the smallest width and length between those two formats: 21 cm width and 27.9 cm long. (A4 is 21 x 29.7 and letter is 21.6 x 27.9)
And with enough margins to allow some adjustments.

It is not only a question of making oneself a backup copy, but also of adapting the format to transparent plastic sleeves (I am quite sure that I will have to trim my MM pack's pages to adapt them to my A4 binders - which always has the risk of cutting some of the text in the margins).

In short, try to design international formats for your scenarios.
My best guess is that there must be a way to make it scan letter format, too, somehow.

It would not make sense for huge hardware companies, one of which probably produced your printer, to produce different hardware for DIN-countries and Letter-countries. So if it fits the glass, there must be a way to have it scanned.

I would deem it a gross oversight, if the scanner driver for a printer bought in Europe would not support Letter format. Screw-ups may happen, but I think it highly unlikely. Given it would be the case, then maybe installing scanner driver intended for the US for the duration of your ASL-work might be a workaround.

I know that it took me a good while to make my printer/scanner (Epson ET-2500) scan DIN-A-4 format again after I had meddled with the settings for a particular purpose before.

von Marwitz

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I will look at it.
It is a HP model - a cheap all-in-one printer, scanner, copier.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Well - ugh ! - I found that in the general preferences, you could define the paper format.
So, for scanning, the problem is solved.
As to putting US letter format cards in and A4 transparent sleeve, it isn't.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
You can't print with the "scale to fit paper" option? I can't think of a technical reason prevent you from printing a small page on big paper or a big page on small paper since the scaling factor should automatically make it fit whatever you are printing on.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Seriously, that's a European marketing issue, that no game company in the US (or anywhere else) is going to be able to solve for you. (Where would they get supplies of what would be for them very oddly-sized paper?)

Sheet protectors that fit both A4- and US Letter-sized paper are a thing. Here in Australia, they're pretty much the only size of sheet protector that you can buy -- that is, nobody markets A4-size only, or US Letter-size only (the latter would be particularly pointless since you can't buy US Letter paper here). I imagine that it's much the same across most Asia-Pacific countries.

If you can't buy an equivalent product in Europe (or anywhere else), start hassling your local stationery suppliers and demand to know why not.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Thanks for the suggestions.
Double format sleeves (and binders) are nearly impossible to find in Switzerland, but I will try to see if I find a place where they sell them.
I can of course print my scanned files to adapt A4. And I will possibility do things that way. But I prefer put the originals in my binders, keeping the scans as a back up in case the physical cards are destroyed or in bad shape.

Sorry for the useless suggestions.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
You might find the reverse usage is actually a bigger win (depending on your goal): Keep your originals in a box (or a binder if you must) and just use your scans.
You can print them out if you like to thumb through and you can save all the space/weight of the sheet protectors since your scenario cards are now essentially disposable. Spill something on em, tear em, lose em at the airport, no problem. Just print another batch.

Warbear

Reaction score
First name
Ernst
Country
llGermany
Since several years I don't print out the scans of my scenario cards anymore.
I just upload them on my iPad.

prekarius

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
FWIW At least here in Finland it is nigh impossible to find letter sized protectors. And the sellers in Amazon who have those won't ship here.

Luckily there was at least one brand of protectors which although marketed as A4 sized actually fit both. Sadly hole alignment is off when using with official binder.

So the struggle is real!

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
FWIW At least here in Finland it is nigh impossible to find letter sized protectors. And the sellers in Amazon who have those won't ship here.

Luckily there was at least one brand of protectors which although marketed as A4 sized actually fit both. Sadly hole alignment is off when using with official binder.

So the struggle is real!
You should be able to find a kind soul who will buy and ship you some from the US. It might prove a little pricey depending on shipping. -- jim