Scenario authors, what are you working on?

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Does anyone have any new scenarios in development at the moment?

Mini-Me

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just finished up an expanded Germany CG for NGP.

It uses the map with the Denmark/Jutland border area. It lasts 360 turns rather than the 161 of the standard CG. This was done so that I could expand the OOB to include more reinforcements.

NATO gets more Americans, Heimatschutzen, Danish troops, some French etc.

The reds get a few more category A units, and a LOT of category B units that start arriving a week or so after hostilities commence.

Also, it takes place in 1988. By doing this, I was able to introduce the M1A1, Bradley mounted infantry, and for air support I added a squadron of F-117s. (Think Red Storm Rising! :) )

I've only programmed the AI for the Warsaw Pact, so it would be Human NATO vs. WP AI. (or mano y mano)

I'm not going to claim absolute authenticity on OOBs, but they seem OK. I used the stock OOB from Germany '85 and added to it using Orbat.com as a reference. I've been wanting to playtest it, but with all my PBEM matches going I don't have time.

It may be balanced, it may not. My recipe for balancing it would be to adjust victory point levels in the appropriate direction. If anybody has an interest, drop me a PM.

Mini-Me

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If somebody could tell me how to do it, I can make it available. The map and parameter files are from Germany '85, so if you have that expansion pack you have those two things. If I'm right, all you'd need to get from me is the .scn and the .oob files.
Am I on the right track?

Mini-Me

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some other info:

It is similar to Germany '85 in that the WP is attacking from their barracks. The premise is that tensions have been mounting, both sides have reinforced their European contingents, but neither has forward deployed. NATO because they don't want to provoke the Soviets and the Warsaw Pact because they're looking to catch NATO napping. The starting positions for most of the initial units are roughly the same as Germany, though I've lightened up on NATO as far as fixed units are concerned. IE less of them, and those that are fixed are released earlier.

Almost forgot: Some of the Soviet category B divisions receive BMP-1s. It didn't seem likely that they completely retired a piece of equipment that was so prevalent in their TO&E for many years.

Sgt_Rock

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When I get time I work on a scenario that uses the large NGP-FG map for a WW2 Battle for Germany game.

Uses the N44 OB for the Western Allies and the K43 OB for the Soviets. Germans are a mix.

One side will play the Soviets/Western German force while the other will play the Western Allies and Eastern German forces.

Its not set up yet and progress is slow at best.

canuck64

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Redo of Stalingrad

Hey lads...

I'm currently trying a redo of Uranus (oooh MY that sounds awful), in that rather than FIX all units on the board (as is the case currently) I was going to do the following:

REMOVE ALL UNIT FIXES. (I may reimplement some thereafter...but not on the scale presently used)
Downgrade most german mobile units to a combination of LOWFUEL and On FOOT.
Most german front line units should also be LOW AMMO (for the start at least).

Lastly, I'm trying ....I had a NAFZIGER OOB somewhere with relative strengths at certain times during the Stalingrad campaign, but I'm trying to amend the German 51st Corps -the one in the brunt of the city fighting at least-
I'm trying to amend starting unit strengths to reflect reality at that point. Currently that scenario (no I'm not repeating that name) has all German front-line divisions IN Stalingrad at 100% strength. Meanwhile the Russians have partial units at best. I can't quibble with starting locations, but truly by November 19, both sides IN the city were whittled to bits and exhausted.

POINT OF THIS MOD: This requires of the German player a bit more micromanagement but will hopefully reflect options that were available to Paulus (forget the Hitler orders, which are utter ridiculousness) on the ground on Nov. 19. Almost all transport and horses had been Army/Corps-requisitioned from the units. Ammo was low across the board. If work work (as in bread and butter for me) concerns don't interfere, I may implement explicit supply into the scenario...but that might prove tougher and possibly of not much benefit to the game....

That said, the German player can now react somewhat to the trap closing-albeit with a LOT of work....I think this is how it should be.
Thoughts if you have them to follow.

Last edited:

jaw

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
canuck64,

Have you considered removing the German reinforcement (relief) units from the map and having them enter the game on the appropriate turn? I questioned why they ever started on the map in the first place and Glenn said it was to make it easier on the Axis computer player. I can understand where Glenn's coming from but I still find it weird to see them on the map at the beginning of the game.

Jim Wirth

jaw

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ps I don't understand why it put Lurker and the American flag up there. Can anybody explain this to me? I'm new to this forum.

Mike Cox

Reaction score
Lurker, Trooper, etc are related to the number of posts. The flag is related to where you said you were form when registering.

rahamy

HPS Games Forum Moderator
Reaction score
jaw said:
ps I don't understand why it put Lurker and the American flag up there. Can anybody explain this to me? I'm new to this forum.
I think it changes after a dozen or so posts, your status that is. So come back often and participate, and loose that Lurker status! :smoke:

canuck64

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
jaw said:
canuck64,

Have you considered removing the German reinforcement (relief) units from the map and having them enter the game on the appropriate turn? I questioned why they ever started on the map in the first place and Glenn said it was to make it easier on the Axis computer player. I can understand where Glenn's coming from but I still find it weird to see them on the map at the beginning of the game.

Jim Wirth

Absolutely, I was stunned initially to see all those units in the german backfield, sitting pretty.

Good point, I think I forgot to mention it in addition to the other things I was and am tinkering with.

As I said, I had a Nafziger printout of 6 army status and approx unit strengths somewhere and am still looking. If I can find it, this will mean more work but should make for a more realistic situation.

If I'm really motivated I might break down the Soviet Tank bn's even further. I'd like (for once) to give Soviets a bit more tactical flexibility. I know common knowledge says they put them out en masse, but the inability to let them hunt a bit seems strange to me. I doubt the Soviets were THAT inflexible with their tanks.