daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hey guys..

I'm in the middle of the upgrade now for the archive. Please don't update any scenarios, purchase any downloadable packs, register, change password, log games, etc. until the new site is up.

You'll see it when the usual link takes you to the new site but I have a few hours of data transfer etc ahead yet, and that's before the DNS propagates around so safest thing is to hold off on anything until then.

Once it's up, thank the Patrons for allowing me to upgrade the server spec, and to re-enable the email and for the google geo-lookup/map-api features, all of which would be more difficult, financially, without them!

See you on the other side!

Dave

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ok - it's propagating through. If you see the new look archive you're good to go!

Mark's suggestion was to show other scenarios occurring on the same day via the scenario page to assist finding similar (previously published) scenarios. This feature is enabled next to the scenario date.

There's a bunch of other changes, and some more things to fix, but it's nearly 4am and I'm playing a 10-turner tomorrow, so I need some sleep!

Enjoy!

Dave

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks great so far!

Suggestion...the highest rated scenarios "All time" should have a minimum number of plays like 10, 20, or...(?). Kelly's Heroes has 2 plays and is currently the all time top rated scenario.

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Something's really screwy with the DB now. My rating is 1081! How dare it say I'm competent!

(In some seriousness, it was sub-1000 last I looked, which, with my record, is justified.)

hoxson1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mark's suggestion was to show other scenarios occurring on the same day via the scenario page to assist finding similar (previously published) scenarios. This feature is enabled next to the scenario date.
That is a great feature. Will be much easier to identify the many lives of CH scenarios. "Decapitation" from Rout Pak III = "Fallen Leader" from ASL News #32. Found that on my first try. Verry Intrresting. ?

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Yeah - I know the ratings aren’t quite right. I had to rewrite that query using nicer sql (the old way wasn’t adhering to the higher standards of the newer version of the db and it’s not working properly.

Don’t panic.. it’s on the list!

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Dave,
Is the user viewUser.php working properly? When I select my profile it just flutters. Perhaps all the data hasn't move yet? -- jim (id=87)

hoxson1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is the user viewUser.php working properly? When I select my profile it just flutters.
I had the same problem when clicking on My Page in upper right corner. But when I clicked on my name link down below in the Monthly Contributors area or on the left side area, those went to My Page immediately with no problem. If that helps, Dave

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
On my first logon attempt it said user not found and then I hit it again and it appeared that I was logged in but the photo looked like it was a photo of Dave. But when I click on "My Page" I see my status and everything seems fine.

The update is absolutely fantastic! Totally rocks and in my opinion makes "ROAR" obsolete. The ROAR data should be imported in to the Scenario Archive Site.

Any plans of adding more purchasable digital download scenario content?

Be cool if all the Eastside Gamers and any TPP had purchasable downloadable scenario content (in the process of reducing space clutter and going 100% digital).

Seriously just looking at My Page and viewing some of the scenario data is making consider getting back into some PBEM with VASL again!

Fine work!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Something's really screwy with the DB now. My rating is 1081! How dare it say I'm competent!

(In some seriousness, it was sub-1000 last I looked, which, with my record, is justified.)
Actually, the ratings on the "ASL Scenario Archive" - as well as the number of playings accorded to oneself - have always varied wildly:

Currently, I have roughly 350 playings entered there. The number of playings reported - not on the personal page, but in the overall list - has varied from something like 30 to almost 800. The overall list showing the correct number of entered playings happens more rarely than the incorrect number.

As for the ratings, they wildly go up and down as well. One reason might be the skewed number of playings, of course. Then, sometimes I have the feeling that a single playing can change one's rating up or down an inordinate amount. Mine swings in the range of roughly 200 points after less than a handful of games - and I ain't neither playing Pleva nor Colonel Klutz...

Because of those 'instable' conditions, the number of playings and the ratings of other players probably need to be questioned at any given time as well. There's no way to tell, whether the number of playings displayed for another player and its corresponding rating happens to be correct at the given point of time.

von Marwitz

Thus, as far as I can see, the ratings on the site can only be taken as a veeery general guideline.

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks - I've fixed that upper-right login and added the spaces. I'll crack on with the ratings things, when it's finished I'll explain what's going on there.

Happy for more feedback/improvements. I go a bit feature-blind after a while so feel free to throw over some suggestions!

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ok - caught the issue with the file uploads and the scenario ratings (I remember that the issue was trying to find a reasonable balance between the most recently rated scenarios needing only more than 2 ratings - so now I've changed that to a minimum of 4 for the last 60 days, and 10 for the last years and all time scenarios.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Seems that the Advance Search is not working when your not logged in (I did not know I was logged out and kept hitting advance search and it would just spin when I realized that and then back arrow'ed and logged in and poof it worked).

Perhaps a pop up should present itself if the user tries to do a search to tell them to log in first?