scenario 89 Rescue Attempt VCs

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
gentlemen, I'm considering to play the above scenario, but not sure to fully understand its VCs. It seems Belgians only gain VCs in two ways: staying on board alive with AFVs, possibly within five hexes of 43 O10, and exiting off the west edge on/between 33GG5/GG1 in turns 7-8 with Squads/Half Squads.
is this correct?

vc 89.PNG

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
thank's Michael, I agree.

They are written in arcaic ASL since most important info should not be in the last sentence because line one and two have no sense if taken alone.

This is how the VCs could be re-written in modern ASL language.
The Belgian wins at Game End by ammassing >13 VPs as follows:
1) AFVs with any functioning MA/MG count 2 VPs if within 5 hexes from 43O10, count 1VP otherwise;
2) beginning on Turn 7 the Belgian earns EVPs exiting Squads/HS (only) off the west edge on/between 33GG5/GG1

note: 37 words vs 50!

Also the fact the original VCs specifies " Good Order" squads is deceptive if not wrong. How a non-Good Order squad could eventually exit the board?
Thus I asked if I miss something.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
A broken squad can exit the board as a passenger. I don't know if the scenario has any transport. I think they can also (be forced to) rout off board.

JR

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also the fact the original VCs specifies " Good Order" squads is deceptive if not wrong. How a non-Good Order squad could eventually exit the board?
Thus I asked if I miss something.
The Squads/HS count by being GO on board at game end. That would explain the "GO". Also, why would the AFV count on board but the squads/HS not?

So, I think the VP are awarded for squads/HS being GO at game end. Exiting means they can protect the VP MMC. AFV are as you say.

So, how's this:

VC: The Belgium wins by amassing > 13 VP. VP are awarded at game end for any squad/HS in Good Order on board, or exited as infantry (on Turn 7 or later) off the west edge on/between 33GG5/GG1. AFVs on board at game end with any functioning MA/MG count 2 VPs if within 5 hexes of 43O10, or count 1VP if not within 5 hexes of 43O10.

Last edited:

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also, the word "thus" has been declared archaic by the Oxford English Dictionary a decade or more ago. :)

Reactions: ecz

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
A broken squad can exit the board as a passenger. I don't know if the scenario has any transport. I think they can also (be forced to) rout off board.

JR
no transport in the OB. Thus my question. I did'nt consider the offboard rout, but I bet that that was not considered neither by the scenario designer.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
The Squads/HS count by being GO on board at game end. That would explain the "GO". Also, why would the AFV count on board but the squads/HS not?

So, I think the VP are awarded for squads/HS being GO at game end. Exiting means they can protect the VP MMC. AFV are as you say.

So, how's this:

VC: The Belgium wins by amassing > 13 VP. VP are awarded at game end for any squad/HS in Good Order on board, or exited as infantry (on Turn 7 or later) off the west edge on/between 33GG5/GG1. AFVs on board at game end with any functioning MA/MG count 2 VPs if within 5 hexes of 43O10, or count 1VP if not within 5 hexes of 43O10.
this could explain better the sense of the VCs, but possibly makes the quality of the text even worse since it is really poorly written. No official clarification or Q&A available in 25 years?

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
from an old Q&A
Scenario 89 ("Rescue Attempt") The VP are awarded to the Belgians at game end: 2VP for a squad and 1VP for a HS regardless of location; plus VP for AFV around 43O10; plus VP for exiting squads/HS. In other words, the Belgians object is simply to survive with 13 VP at game end. [Letter15]

the quality of the scenarios is really improved over the decades

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Emoticons are used in lieu of facial expressions on the internets.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What's even goofier about this VC is that the three at-start 228s (or any vehicle crews exited an AFV during play) would not count for any VP since they are not half squads. Not sure if that was the designers intention -- if yes, why? It doesn't make any sense from a battle narrative perspective.

Too, the Belgian has six AFV. Tthe Belgian AFV can simply skeedaddle to the opposite side of the boards and gain 1 VP each at game end or attempt to zip into the VC areas on the last Belgian player turn surviving D-fire in an attempt to gain 2 VP.

Makes me wonder how many times this scenario was misplayed or VP miscounted based on these VCs.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Emoticons are used in lieu of facial expressions on the internets.
Ah! So in that Internetz of yours, the Americans have forgotten script and reverted to stone-age pictograms like in the Lascaux Cave which we have recently liberated. Very well.

Alas, the expression of the pictogramm you have used - :) - is unbeknown to me.
My expressions can be charaterized as follows:

monocle.jpg
happy

monocle.jpg
depressed

monocle.jpg
angry

monocle.jpg
pensive

monocle.jpg
excited

monocle.jpg