SCENARIO 2000 (ASL) Operation Hubertus

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all-

Bob and I decided to convert Scenario 2000 to Red Barricades. Why? Because the RB campaign is woefully pro German and the scenario Last Bid is woefully pro german. So I converted the SL OB to ASL and then re imagined the two OB's thus giving the Russians a little bit of extra staying power plus giving them an incentive to not only defend, but also perhaps counter attack. By counter attack I mean in the VC's the Germans are under an 80CVP infantry cap IE thier losses are only infantry, not guns and armor. The Russians also can try to take back three factory's in the German set up area out of 9 designated factory's noted in the VC. The Russians secretly pick their 3 factory's after all set up but prior to play and reveal the factory's they pick at game end. A little fog of war can make for an interesting game. The Germans on the otherhand must control so many stone/rubble hexes at game end. So The Germans will need to not only guard against a possible russian counter attack/ infiltration but also be wary of unnecessary loses.

Probably in my next go around of playtesting I might give the Russians 11 or 12 squads to HIP instead of 6, this is after all Stalingrad. As for the wire in the factory's I allowed that by SSR, saw pics of wire in factory areas so decided to allow such placement. Plus in chapter be, it says nowhere in the factory rules that a factory is a building. But just incase I missed a Q&A or misinterpreted the actual rules in the ASLRB, I decided by SSR to allow such placement of wire in factory hexes. It does make a difference.

So bob did set up the Russians with a screening force in the middle, a fairly strong force in the bread factory area and smaller defensive force to the north. I also had set strongly in the middle with my main attack to secure the immediate factory's in front of me, then bust out and take the big factory to the south near the bread factory and the push east to secure the oil tanks and commissars house.

So far it has been a bitter battle battle, I lost two guns to snake eye CH, but I am pushing the Russians back in the middle, on the other hand to the North, the Russians are attacking so I am rushing reserves over to shore up those lines. So far we are having a blast playing this version of the big one indeed. Below are pics of my set up and Bobs set up.

Attachments

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Factory is B23.74. Have a look at B23.7. It’s a strong indication that a factory is a building. As you said, an SSR can always be used.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Factory is B23.74. Have a look at B23.7. It’s a strong indication that a factory is a building. As you said, an SSR can always be used.
ya I saw that rule section but it really did not say it was treated as a normal building. No matter, I SSR'ed wire placement is allowed in such locations.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
howdy-

here is the pics for the beginning of German turn 4. As can be seen, the Russians are pushing me back to the north, but in the middle I am slowly grinding forward. I do have a stack of berzerk guys but once I place Arty smoke, they will see nothing and revert back to normal.

Attachments

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually I was alluding to CG II Operation Hubertus from RF and the scenario RB5 The Last Bid from RF. Both being very very pro german in their latest incarnations.

RB CG is woefully pro-German? I’d characterize this as a Hot Take.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all-

Bob and I stopped our last playing of this scenario due to a few issues. Thats what playtesting is all about, Personally I am always shocked when other publishers, not just CH, can produce scenario pack after scenario pack within such a short span of time. Anyway, we decided the "Every factory is fortified" SSR was just way to over the top and decided to just give the Russians around 25 fortified locations with a maximum of three tunnels at most when exchanging fortified locations for tunnel capability. We also decided to make all locations of the commissars house fortified and a battalion strong point. Lastly to give the russians a little incentive to counter attack, they can win at the end of any game turn if they control 3 out of 9 buildings/ factory's as stated in the VC thus forcing the Germans to keep security forces in the back field (thats why they have 9 447 squads).

So with that said, we turned it around and now I am the Russians defending whats left of Stalingrad from the natzi scum. The only drawback I feel that this scenario might have is the amount of HIP stuff, 8 squads, 60 mines, fortifications and so on. Still we did get together last night and played the German turn, looks like Bob is attacking in the middle and towards the chemists house while defending in the south around the Bread Factory area. So far it has started off with a bang and a whimper, the whimper being we both drew red cards on requesting Arty support. here are some pics of my set up and will post pics of the German turn 1 later.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Howdy there internet people;

Bob came by yesterday and we got a turn in of our massive Stalingrad scenario. Bob managed to smoke in my mortars and guns in the upper levels, then found a seam to get some of his units through and even managed to get 1 squad into the Commissars house, but I have a bunch of squads nearby to hopefully throw back this incursion. So far the Chemists house is now under full German attack. The middle area I managed to throw back the Germans from turning my flank in the Factorys. To the south, I have brought down my 120's OBA but alas Bob's sniper has been very active in the south and has been spoiling my plans for a small counter attack, it has killed a leader and broken two squads.

Lots fun here indeed. here are pics at the end of German turn 2.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Howdy there Internet people-

Well Bob rolled by last night and we burned a turn of this massive undertaking for about two hours. Both of us are having a blast playing this new version of Last Bid. It feels so much more balanced and the Germans can pick a spot and try to crack it, but the russians do have the ability now to try and stem the blue wave where as in the Last Bid, the russians just got crushed by turn 5. With the addition of a CVP cap (though it is high and is just infantry and guns) is does give the Germans some pause in throwmass amounts of troops out the window. The extra layer where the russian can win at the end of any game turn by controlling a certain amount of buildings/ factories also forces the Germans to leave a small rear guard behind to stay vigilant for any russian shannigans.

So far, Bob Sniper continues to cause me some grief while my Sniper has remained silent. The Attempt to grab the Commissars house is still an issue, but I have reinforced it with more bodies. The Chemists house is looking grim for the Russians, so now I have to decide do I continue to try and hold it or withdraw IF I can get smoke layed in on some covering hexes. If no smoke comes through from my Mortar, then they are doomed in the chemists house. In the south, things are looking static as we both try to prob each others defenses, put in a smoke FFE, but that aint really doing much other then keeping the Stugs from gaining a meaningful target.

So far the German losses are around 20 cvp's, so hopefully on my turn three I can cause more damage, hopefully. Below are some pics of the latest situation:

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
what a epic battle. Why the letters in the acq counters are written with a pen?