SCEN - Momote Airfield - 1944 (Pacific)

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have posted a new SPWAWH2Hfr scenario to the SP Scenario Archives. It is my first attempt in several years to do a scenario from scratch. I encourage everyone to try it out and let me know what you think. It is still in testing. I may expand on this theme if there is enough interest.

Major D

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just the right size for a quick battle. It took me about 40 minutes to play. I played with Command control ON and had to set objectives for each of my platoons before I started. IMHO, scenario designers should set the original objectives. It only takes a few minutes to do it in the design phase and can help to give the player a better idea of the job ahead. Also the scenario number coincides with one of the stock scenarios. I preferred to not overwrite one of those and therefore renamed the scenario to scen200.

My advance was careful and used my light mortars to suppress enemy strongpoints as they came into view. Jap scouts fired at fairly long range. Their range should be shortened to avoid their early detection. My MG's were left behind to guard the captured airfield.

I failed to capture the two final objective hexes on the road to Poriaka but managed to score a DV, having lost only 23 men. It seemed to me that the main fight was just beginning at about turn 10, at about the same time the Jap morale was broken.

Historically, did the US Army in the Pacific have Garands this early in the war? And were bazookas that plentiful?

Jap units should be armed entirely with either the 6.5mm weapons or the 7.7mm weapons.

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks major D. I will go in and revise some things. My main concern was the map and whether the AI forces would hold their positions and defend where I wanted them too. I am rather rusty on the design end!

I am planning to do a campaign on this operation and this was the "just set the tone and get the story started" scenario. In the real operations there was almost no resistance to the intial landing the 1st day. At the end of the day the US forces were spread out really thin. Feeling things were too easy, they fell back and set up positions East of the airfield for the night where they could defend better. After dark is when things got interesting ;)