SCANDINAVIAN OPEN 2018 (February 28th - March 4th)

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
My post was not meant to challenge the result of the adjudication and people can judge by themselves whether my initial post was critical or not to the tournament. I drafted it as favorable to it.

The fact you now wish to disclose and change the result of the collegial adjudication while the players are away is poor communication. While my opinion may be different, i respect the decision and am not going to challenge it.

And i apologise for having forgotten Canada in the list of player nationality :)

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
We talked on the the train ride back home to Sweden, about suggestion for improvements.

Use the same Tournament rule that are used in the two tournaments, Stockholm and New York State, it reads:

We would like all players to use precision dice (with dots), if possible. Semi-Precision dice are not allowed unless your opponent lets you use them.

Use the same tournament rule as in Stockholm, (created due to slow non-Scandinavian player).

Draws are not possible.

When judgement of a game is needed, use the following as guidlines (FRU/FRD).

50%-50% Each player make a DR the player that roll lowest wins.

60%-40% TD roll a DR if the DR is 7 or less the player with the edge wins otherwise he lose.

70%-30% TD roll a DR if the DR is 8 or less the player with the edge wins otherwise he lose.

71+% or better, no DR is made, the player with the edge is considered the winner.

Reasons behind the system is that slow players should never be sure to win simple by having an edge over his opponent because that can led a player to stall the game in an effort to have it judged in his favour and win... Why a judged game rated more than 70% is not decided by a DR is because a player that think the game is too hard to win can stall the game just in attempt to try to win by a judgement DR.

The rule above have almost never been used at SAT, since the few times it has occured, I have mostly tried to convince the involved players to decide the matter themselves with Precison DRs.

Anyway, thanks for your effort and work, much appreciated by us all, best regards.

Last edited:

Olsson

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Thanks for a great tournament. Great to see so many ASL:ers in one place at the same time. You didn't mention your second generous gift for the participants, the very nice book a about the Danish 9th of April. See you again.
/Lars Olsson
(first time contender)

bo_siemsen

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Rank - Results - Player
1 - 4 wins - Kenneth Knudsen
2 - 4 wins, 1 draw - G. Tournemire
3 - 4 wins - Paul Chamberland
4 - 4 wins - Arnaud Sanchis
5 - 4 wins - Melvin Falk
6 - 4 wins - Enrico Catanzaro
7 - 4 wins - Eero Vihersari
8 - 3 wins, 1 draw - Ketil Høgenhaug
9 - 3 wins - Ran Shiloah
10 - 3 wins - Svante Sandblom
11 - 3 wins - Andreas Carlsson
12 - 3 wins - Martin Yngerskog
13 - 3 wins - Olivier Dietsch
14 - 3 wins - Kåre Jacobsen
15 - 3 wins - Tomas Davidsson
16 - 3 wins - Michael Hemmingsen
17 - 3 wins - Carl-Alex Friis Nielsen
18 - 2 wins, 1 draw - Martin Kristensen
19 - 2 wins, 1 draw - Lars Olsson
20 - 2 wins - Hans Bugge (2 games)
21 - 2 wins - Matts Dagerhäll
22 - 2 wins - Stefan Fiedler
23 - 2 wins - Joshua Kalman
24 - 2 wins - Magnus Rimwall
25 - 2 wins - Timo Kärna
26 - 2 wins - Derek Ward
27 - 2 wins - Anders Olsson
28 - 1 win - Mikko Lukkari (2 games)
29 - 1 win - Sami Pelkonen (4 games)
30 - 1 win - Anders Wigertz
31 - 1 win - Jesper Led
32 - 1 win - Kirby Vincent
33 - 1 win - Mathhias Rönnblom (4 games)
34 - 1 win - John Tait
35 - 1 win - Jonathan Kay (2 games)
36 - No Wins - Tim Hunsdorfer (2 games)
37 - No Wins - Uffe Møller (2 games)
38 - No Wins - Pär Worbis (2 games)
39 - No Wins - Björn Lorenzen (2 games)
40 - No Wins - Lars-Robert Gregorsson (2 games)

Minitournament winners
Mini 1 (Friendly Action Pacl Mini) - Niels Larsen. Runner up Lars-Robert Gregorsson
Mini 2 (Schwerpunkt Mini) - Hans Bugge. Runner up Jonathan Kay

Results of the scenarios will be submitted to the Area ratings, added to Roar (if possible) and the final standings will be added to our website tomorrow as well.

SPONSORS
ASL Scandinavian Open would like to acknowledge our sponsors for 2018:

- Keys Games And Hobbies (Email only - hobbies747@gmail.com)
- Multimanpublishing (www.multimanpublishing.com)
- Trojan Games (www.trojangames.se)
- Bounding Fire Productions (www.boundingfire.com)
- Lone Canuck Publishing (www.lonecanuckpublishing.ca)

(EDIT, March 21st 2018. Clerical error fixed in the standings)

Last edited:

Toby Pilling

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I had a great time in Copenhagen, though for the first time I decided not to enter the tournament and to instead just play friendly games. In truth, I'd done the same the last couple of times I'd attended Heroes in Blackpool. I increasingly find that, as I have little to prove as a player, I prefer to forego the pressure of time limits and the restrictions of scenarios and opponents - I can play people I choose, at scenarios I want to play, without looking at the clock. I was also hoping to play quite a bit against the tournament organisers - Michael Hastrup-Leth and Bo Siemsen, both great players.

Anyway, it all worked out very well. I began with SP269 'Retaking Kharkov', against Michael, with my attacking Germans eventually getting the win. The scenario was memorable for a howling error on my part going unpunished - I'd cleverly predicted where the Russian HIP gun was on turn one, and forced it on board, whereupon I subsequently gifted it a series of shots against the flank of a Tiger that had stopped in it's LOS, without the ability to change TCA until the following turn! Only the wall I was HD against protected it, and Michael obligingly blasted a series of shots straight into it. My stupidity thus protected by Fortuna, I turned up the heat and began grinding down the defenders - Michael conceded when some of his key defenders in the big factory decided to go beserk.

Michael, Bo and I then began searching for a shortish three-player scenario that might entertain us for an evening, and settled on SP234 'Teltow Two-Step' (though I wish we'd thought to consider RP110 'Theirs not to Reason Why'). Anyway, my Russians had some luck and blasted Bo and Michael's German attempts to get across the bridge. There were plenty of laughs along the way.

On Friday I began by playing AP131 'Crickets in Spring' against Bo. My German attackers led quite a cautious assault and the scenario was exciting and quite cat & mouse until we tallied up the VP half way through and discovered that I was ahead. This would have meant a wild counterattack by the Russians, which seemed not to fit the description of the scenario. We had fun, but decided to abandon our playing - I'm not sure what I think of this scenario, as I deem the victory conditions can encourage some strange, counterintuitive play by both sides.

I then managed to play a scenario from the new Winter Offensive pack with the Deluxe boards, and my opponent was Christoff Peyre in WO25 'The Replacements'. I was attacking with the Italians and it was the tankettes that won it for me, as most of them managed to survive various Molotov attempts by the Russkie infantry, thereby pinning them for the supporting infantry to run forward. Chris felt that the scenario was very pro-Italian, due to the many AFVs - I'm not so sure.

I saved the best till last, as my final game, spanning Saturday evening and Sunday morning, was a classic struggle and one that will go down in history as one of my most memorable games ever: Bo and I played J168 'Katyusha's Embrace', with me as the Axis defenders and Bo leading the Russian attackers. This is another of the ASL masterpieces that the Lennon and McCartney type duo of Struijf and Mazzei have composed for our delectation, and it did not disappoint. Bo and I both complemented the designers afterwards in emails - I'm sure Bo won't mind if I include his summary here:

Hi Peter and Chris,

I just wanted to drop you a quick note to say that Toby Pilling and I played the Katushyas embrace over the weekend at ASO 2018 and we had an absolutely smashing game with me as the russians and Toby defending as the Germans/Romanians.

Toby, of course, put up a sturdy defense giving away nothing and making me earn every inch of ground I got. I pushed the majority of my forces through the middle with a right flank force of 2 447's and the turn 2 reinforcements pushing in on the church through the orchards and woods. The game had several upturns and downturns for the both of us which forced both of us to improvise and adapt. I picked up the 6 "easy" points as Toby stubbornly kept control of the farmhouse on my left flank. Towards the end game there was an opening for my remaining AFV's to drive through ... one of them was stopped by a romanian CC reaction fire in a crowded street, but still 2 managed to drive to the end of the board far and away from all germans (apart from a Marder with no MA). The game was decided when a wayward german sniper Stun-Recalled the SU-76.

Overall we had a great time with this scenario. The scenario map layout is terrific and the forces and, VC's and SR's posed challenges for the both of us.

Keep up the good work

My own message was:

Let me add my voice to Bo's - what a superb scenario! It was an epic game, one of my most memorable of all time. We started off supping whiskey with each turn but as the pressure mounted and every move and shot began to count, our brows furrowed and we had to remind each other with a smile that it was 'only a friendly!'

We both made a few mistakes (though my misreading the victory conditions was perhaps the worst - buildings instead of building hexes!) - but it felt like it would be decided by extreme luck, one way or another - as indeed it was.

Cracking design. More stuff with Romanians, please!

I for one can't wait for the publication of their 'Death to Facism' pack (which I am privately assured does feature more Romanians!)

Anyway, there ends my summary. The Scandinavian Open remains the best ASL tournament in Europe and I commend it to anyone who wishes to experience ASL excellence. I'm not sure when I'll be back - I hope it's soon.

Until then!

Toby