Sbct

John Osborne

Reaction score
Well after farther review. I stink when it comes to making a new vehicle. I just can't get the knack if using the Paint program to make new tanks :nuts:

So instead I'm going to put my effort into making a Stryker Brigade Combat Team, (SBCT) OOB. Is there a need to make one for ATF?

Pat Proctor

President, ProSim Company
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would love to see one. You could run some pretty cool scenarios fairly easily by simply copying ATF scenarios and replacing their force structures with SBCT battalions. It would make for an interesting play.

Of note when going through the OOB's...

While all of the OOB's SAY that the SBCT has 6 lightweight 155m howitzer X 3 batteries (total of 18), they in fact have 4 M198 howitzers X 3 batteries (total of 12).

It makes a big difference vs. armor and in emplacement/displacement times.

John Osborne

Reaction score
Pat Proctor said:
I would love to see one. You could run some pretty cool scenarios fairly easily by simply copying ATF scenarios and replacing their force structures with SBCT battalions. It would make for an interesting play.
Thanks, I was going to spend time doing that for TacOps but now I'm going to spend my time with ATF :D

Pat Proctor said:
Of note when going through the OOB's...

While all of the OOB's SAY that the SBCT has 6 lightweight 155m howitzer X 3 batteries (total of 18), they in fact have 4 M198 howitzers X 3 batteries (total of 12).

It makes a big difference vs. armor and in emplacement/displacement times.
Yes that is correct if it is a Initial BCT. But my assumption was that with the MAV in the Interim BCT then it will be 6 lightweight 155m howitzer X 3 batteries with a total of 18. So until the MAV gets onboard I will changed the Stryker OOB to reflect the 4xM198.

By the way, I notice that the OOB that I posted at TacOps is outdated. I forget to add some improtant units to it. So I'm redoing the OOB to reflect from the new FMs.

---John

Deltapooh

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CPangras did design NATO vehicle icons for Stryker. Unfortunately alot of people understand the symbols. I've been looking for a top-down view of the Stryker family. Haven't found any.

If you want you could use the LAV chasis as a base vehicle. I'll likely be designing the Stryker vehicles in the not too distant future. ;)

Pat Proctor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have a sinking suspicion that the M198 will end up being the final artillery piece for the SBCT. The Lightweight 155 is having a ton of problems getting ready for fielding. Meanwhile, the HIMARS is ready for primetime. I strongly suspect that the SBCT will get a HIMARS platoon and that will be the end of it.

John Osborne

Reaction score
Deltapooh said:
CPangras did design NATO vehicle icons for Stryker. Unfortunately alot of people understand the symbols. I've been looking for a top-down view of the Stryker family. Haven't found any.

If you want you could use the LAV chasis as a base vehicle. I'll likely be designing the Stryker vehicles in the not too distant future. ;)
I'll tell you what I will do, Deltapooh :D I will do the Stryker vehicles, being that the Stryker vehicles are pretty much the same as the LAVs are. I have the OOB for the BCT. Probably going to need help on find tuning the vehicles.

So many questions and not enough time to do it all :nuts:

---John

John Osborne

Reaction score
Pat Proctor said:
I have a sinking suspicion that the M198 will end up being the final artillery piece for the SBCT. The Lightweight 155 is having a ton of problems getting ready for fielding. Meanwhile, the HIMARS is ready for primetime. I strongly suspect that the SBCT will get a HIMARS platoon and that will be the end of it.
Now just to find out how many HIMARS there will be for a platoon :D

---John

Deltapooh

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
John Osborne said:
Now just to find out how many HIMARS there will be for a platoon :D

---John
I'm certain it will be 3x HIMARS plus support per platoon. HIMARS is similar to the MLRS.

John Osborne said:
I'll tell you what I will do, Deltapooh I will do the Stryker vehicles, being that the Stryker vehicles are pretty much the same as the LAVs are. I have the OOB for the BCT. Probably going to need help on find tuning the vehicles.
I can handle editing to build the Strkyer base. I can then make turrets to suit the various roles.

Problem is, I'll probably end up building them from the ground up. As I learn about editing, the more particular I get to detail. It's so bad now I actually sit with a calculator to generate sizes for vehicles. :nuts:

Last edited:

John Osborne

Reaction score
Deltapooh said:
I can handle editing to build the Strkyer base. I can then make turrets to suit the various roles.

Problem is, I'll probably end up building them from the ground up. As I learn about editing, the more particular I get to detail. It's so bad now I actually sit with a calculator to generate sizes for vehicles. :nuts:
Ok, So what do you want me to do :cheeky: I don't want you to do everything. We can work together on this.

---John

Deltapooh

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually, painting the vehicles is not as important as adding them into the game, giving correct pK stats etc. This is where I slow up at. If it weren't for Kbluck's Database, I'd be in a real mess. So you've actually got the hard part.

I'll start work on the vehicles quickly. I also have a new scenario I am working on as well as going back to fix an old one. (If I didn't enjoy all this, it would be work. ;) )

Deltapooh

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, thanks to the US Army it won't be so difficult after all. They have a nice top down drawing of Stryker in their FMs that can be used as a base chasis.

Which vehicles do you want to add? There is a whole sortment of them. Making turrets and other alterations won't be so difficult now for sure.

John Osborne

Reaction score
Deltapooh said:
Actually, painting the vehicles is not as important as adding them into the game, giving correct pK stats etc. This is where I slow up at. If it weren't for Kbluck's Database, I'd be in a real mess. So you've actually got the hard part.

I'll start work on the vehicles quickly. I also have a new scenario I am working on as well as going back to fix an old one. (If I didn't enjoy all this, it would be work. ;) )
Ok, So let me get this straight ;) You will make the vehicles and then you will send them to me. I can handle up to 10MB of data by email, ok.

And then I will use Kbluck's Database . Is that correct?

Also you stated that "You can not add the pieces in the Power Tools kit as described in the Online Help Files. You'll need to create a new vehicle, save the database, create a new scenario in the builder, and import your database. Then you can select add your vehicle to make sure everything is lined up properly".

Can you elaborate some more on this. I can change and update the copy that I made before I convert it into a pdf file.

I take it that is how I will have to do it to add the new vehicles along with the data to ATF.

---John

John Osborne

Reaction score
Deltapooh said:
Well, thanks to the US Army it won't be so difficult after all. They have a nice top down drawing of Stryker in their FMs that can be used as a base chasis.

Which vehicles do you want to add? There is a whole sortment of them. Making turrets and other alterations won't be so difficult now for sure.
Which FM are you using? I have about three of them from Platoon on up to Brigade.

I have a list on what vehicles to add. Let me wake up and have some coffee first. Its 0725 in the morning here :p

I will post the list in about an hour, ok. :cheeky:

John Osborne

Reaction score
Here is a list of the main IAV vehicles along with a attachment of a picture that I got off of the internet of the main vehicles.

Infantry Carrier Vehicle,
Command Vehicle,
Mobile Gun System,
Fire Support Vehicle,
Medical Evacuation,
Mortar Carrier,
Engineer Squad Vehicle,
AntiTank Guided Missile Vehicle,
NBC Reconnaissance Vehicle,
Reconnaissance Vehicle,

This is also what I like to add:
UAV,
Truck, Cargo 2.5t,
HIMARS,
M-198 155mm,Towed Howitzer,

This is a start :nuts:

---John

Pat Proctor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The engineer vehicle has a cute little gizmo on the front that the O/C's here have dubbed the "baby plow". Don't forget that. It's cute as a button ;)

Of course hitting a rock with it will break it, but that is beside the point.

John Osborne

Reaction score
Not sure if I'm asking this right :nuts:

Without me having to open each HTML document to see what information that I need when making a new vehicle or equipment ie vehicle, turret, personnel carrier.

Has anyone made a doucment that can be print out to fill in with a pencil the info need? If not I can put something together. I just don't want to reinvent the wheel again :nuts:

---John

Deltapooh

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
John Osborne said:
Ok, So let me get this straight You will make the vehicles and then you will send them to me. I can handle up to 10MB of data by email, ok.
Yeah, I'll make the vehicles and send them. They will be far less than 10mb.

John Osborne said:
And then I will use Kbluck's Database . Is that correct?
You can use whatever Database you prefer. I use Kbluck's because it has most of the vehicles I would use in a scenario as well as a number of weapon tweaks. He didn't add the LAVs or Stykers though.

Okay on adding vehicles, I made a typo error. It should read:

You can add the pieces in the Power Tools kit as described in the Online Help Files. You'll need to create a new vehicle, save the database, create a new scenario in the builder, and import your database. Then you can select add your vehicle to make sure everything is lined up properly".

Sorry about that.

John Osborne said:
Which FM are you using?
I obtained the image from FM 3-21.9. I have all three as well in .pdf format.

John Osborne said:
Infantry Carrier Vehicle,
Command Vehicle,
Mobile Gun System,
Fire Support Vehicle,
Medical Evacuation,
Mortar Carrier,
Engineer Squad Vehicle,
AntiTank Guided Missile Vehicle,
NBC Reconnaissance Vehicle,
Reconnaissance Vehicle,

UAV,
Truck, Cargo 2.5t,
HIMARS,
M-198 155mm,Towed Howitzer,
Kbluck already made pieces for the M1084 (same the older version) and the M198. If you though, I could add the M939A2 (I believe it is) and see about redoing the M198.

The HIMARS and other vehicles won't be a problem. The Stryker family pretty much look the same. I can go about making small alterations.

The UAV is not a problem either. However, I might have to increase its size to show up in the game though.

I've already completed the Stryker ICV. It has a turret (gun mount) as well, though not really visible in the game. I'll send you the pack just as soon as they are complete. All will be tiled and aligned correctly. All you'll have to do is add the pieces and enter vehicle data into your database. If you want me to change something let me know. :D

John Osborne

Reaction score
Deltapooh said:
I obtained the image from FM 3-21.9. I have all three as well in .pdf format.
Yes I saw it after I looked at the FMs.

Deltapooh said:
Kbluck already made pieces for the M1084 (same the older version) and the M198. If you though, I could add the M939A2 (I believe it is) and see about redoing the M198.

The HIMARS and other vehicles won't be a problem. The Stryker family pretty much look the same. I can go about making small alterations.

The UAV is not a problem either. However, I might have to increase its size to show up in the game though.

I've already completed the Stryker ICV. It has a turret (gun mount) as well, though not really visible in the game. I'll send you the pack just as soon as they are complete. All will be tiled and aligned correctly. All you'll have to do is add the pieces and enter vehicle data into your database. If you want me to change something let me know. :D
Yes , please add the M939A2. I like what you have done already with the stryker vehicles.jpg

I see what you mean, making the vehicles is easy. Now I have the headache on looking up the data for the vehicles :p But hey, Thats why we have Kbluck, Capt Proctor, and the rest of the gang to answer my questions when it will come to the data for the weapons.

---John

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
John Osborne said:
Here is a list of the main IAV vehicles along with a attachment of a picture that I got off of the internet of the main vehicles.

UAV,
---John
John (aka Red6 on the tacops list?) I made UAVs fore the manuveur/firepower tests based on the Firescout - rotary winged, fast, small hard to hit (because I wanted complete coverage without UAVs dropping easily.)

that would be the easiest way to add a UAV that can be moved realistically. Just use the image of a OH-6 and shrink it :D

John Osborne

Reaction score
Ivan Rapkinov said:
John (aka Red6 on the tacops list?)
yes, but I don't go by Red6 anymore. I just use my name now.

Ivan Rapkinov said:
I made UAVs fore the manuveur/firepower tests based on the Firescout - rotary winged, fast, small hard to hit (because I wanted complete coverage without UAVs dropping easily.)

that would be the easiest way to add a UAV that can be moved realistically. Just use the image of a OH-6 and shrink it :D
I'm not famillar with "Firescout"?

As for the image of the OH-6, I didn't find the bmp file of it in the ATF Data folder.

---John