Saving Private Ryan pack from Wild Bill

ASL Maineiac

Reaction score

regularjoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So I was playing my Wild Bill Wilder pack using black SS and the IIFT & an eRulebook that I found on bittorrent...and...oh...bugger I forgot my question

ASL Maineiac

Reaction score
So I was playing my Wild Bill Wilder pack using black SS and the IIFT & an eRulebook that I found on bittorrent...and...oh...bugger I forgot my question
I think that's regularjoe calling me out as a troll....
ok, i admit, it was a bit of a trollish post...my apologies...
though, I am interested in saving private ryan scenarios...

bpickering

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Read the comments at the following link before you buy. :)

Even-handed review? I dunno, since I haven't purchased the "module" in question. Even for someone like me who tends to slavishly buy just about anything that's even close to ASL-compatible, this looks like a pass.

YMMV.

ASL Maineiac

Reaction score
Read the comments at the following link before you buy. :)

Even-handed review? I dunno, since I haven't purchased the "module" in question. Even for someone like me who tends to slavishly buy just about anything that's even close to ASL-compatible, this looks like a pass.
Wow, Pitman has all the new Wild Bill packs up on his website already. I thought they were new.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Gee, I wish Pitman would stop sitting on the fence and tell us what he really thinks of WBW's stuff.
I hope he's not having to spend his own money to acquire these products he's got pics of. Mind you i can't see himgetting review copies.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Saw this scenario pack from Wild Bill and First to Fight on eBay. It's based on Saving Private Ryan and includes 5 scenarios based on actions depicted in the movie. Is this new new, or has anyone tried these? The pack also includes three new maps, though not great looking ones, and new counters, including 24 new black SS counters...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ONE-OUT-OF-FOUR-Saving-Private-Ryan-for-ASL-UNPUNCHED_W0QQitemZ190371562493QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2c530783fd
They're not new; he's offered the Saving Private Ryan pack before, several weeks if not months ago. I haven't seen anyone comment specifically on them. I did comment in another thread that Wild Bill and I both published SPR scenarios for Combat Mission, specifically re: Ramelle, and our interpretations varied wildly. Actually, you can see two Ramelle interpretations for ASL in my Scenario Designer's Handbook, I use it as an example of just how diverse interpretations can really be of the same source material.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
P.S. - use the "tag" feature at the bottom of the thread to access other discussions since the forum SEARCH feature no longer works on older discussions for the time being. I've tagged all the WBW stuff with the "firsttofight" tag for easy retrieval.

Nineteen Kilo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Saw this scenario pack from Wild Bill and First to Fight on eBay. It's based on Saving Private Ryan and includes 5 scenarios based on actions depicted in the movie. Is this new new, or has anyone tried these? The pack also includes three new maps, though not great looking ones, and new counters, including 24 new black SS counters...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ONE-OUT-OF-FOUR-Saving-Private-Ryan-for-ASL-UNPUNCHED_W0QQitemZ190371562493QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2c530783fd
Of course I think most people would tell you to skip this Wild Bill thing.

Now for something more positive. I think the Critical Hit game All American: Kellam's Bridge (whether intentionally or not) can give you a good feel for a Saving Private Ryan type of scenario - a well made product.
Kev

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
DSPURLOCK,

Thanks for plugging my scenario! Saved me the trouble of posting the link myself.

Mark

micky

That costs HOW much now??
Reaction score
yowsers... those were some scathing remarks. Normally I like to stay positive.. and believe if you don't have anything good to say then don't say it. However those products don't exactly look like the highest of quality.. but wouldn't slam anyone for making the buck if people want to throw their money away overpaying just to be completionists. It is like the remarks said.. the buyers that create a market for those products are as much to blame.. and I'd say ARE the blame not the provider of the product. If people didn't buy it... then perhaps there might be a bit incentive to provide more quality, rather than quantity. Those SPR maps look some of the CH maps look golden in comparison. Surprised the trademark police haven't come down on that product...it even used images from the movie.

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tell me more.

I did not know this was possible (or are you pulling my chain?)

Gavin
Arguably, any cell/smart phone capable of running Java could run VASL. Screen size is an issue on a PC, so on a phone it's going to be even worse. Hence the callback to the other thread where VASL on phones was the topic, pointing out that the "Saving Ryan's Privates" scenario spoof would fit. It's all of 4 hexes in play, with 4 units total and a MMG? If that doesn't fit on the screen, there's something wrong.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Gee, I wish Pitman would stop sitting on the fence and tell us what he really thinks of WBW's stuff.
I hope he's not having to spend his own money to acquire these products he's got pics of. Mind you i can't see himgetting review copies.
I asked him once and I *think* he said that he had bought one and only one so he could do a "real" review of it.

Peace

Roger