Sat Sri Akal! AP58

Paul S NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played this one with Gary Mei. Great scenario but we think the VC need work.

Being Sikh myself I was drawn in and Gary let me play the Sikhs (Brits). Cool ssr's with 18.5 jap se vs two groups of 5.5 brit se with 6 elite se (+ mr 10-2) reinforcing turn 3. Attacker needs all of one hilltop AND 11/21 hill hexes in the other. 7 turns and the geography force the jap to divide his troops into two separate attacks, with little hope of subsequent support. Only the jap oba can hit both hilltops. Some wire, mines, OBA and entrenchments give initial defenders some staying power and punch while the reinforcements can pick whichever hill is doing better.

Gary sent his two groups after their repsective objectives. By turn 3 one of the hilltops was down to 1.5 SE thanks to some nice jap manuever, bad brit shooting, and an active sniper. Therefore I sent the reinforcements to the other hill where the OBA hit the attackers hard. By the end of turn 5 we called the game.

We thought the VC are too tough on the attacker. the two required objectives force a divsion of resources while the reinforcements can support whichever hill is doing better. With an even split this put about 9 attackers vs about 11 defenders, no recipe for success. Roar stands at 4-0 brit.

We disucssed numerous fixes including altering troop levels, SW/OBA, forcing the division of reinforcements. However we liked the flow of the scenario and the challenges both sides face.

What we suggest is the following:
- give the japs an extra 8-0 to allow 2 leaders per attack
- make the VC jap control of at least four hexes of the two objectives. But the limited vc locations allow a slow coorindated assault, supported by fire and concelament. The advance still forces the split attack, while making the brits counterattack (which the SSR's and aftermath set up well).

Give it a try with the modified VC. It seems like a good scenario with lots of action and plenty of options for both sides.

- Paul S.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Pharmbouy Wilson and I played this a few weeks ago and came to the same conclusion. I suppose if the Japanese divided his forces EXACTLY right he has a shot at a win....not a good one, but a shot nonetheless. I think the abreviated VC requirements you propose very well might work. As they stand now, the Japanese has to take half of one big a$$ hill from what eventually will be surperior Indian/Ghurka numbers and the Ghurka reinforcements are near at hand.

Just out of curiosity, where did you put the 76mm Mortar? The scenario date puts the minimum range at 6, jungle is level 2 obstacle and heavy....I could only find one place from which it could actually hit with spotted fire a hex an attacked might actually consider being in.

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This one is the one that had me most worried about the balance. I think it is very hard on the Japanese and they maybe could use a little help. I'd give them the balance (add a japanese 9-1) without hesitation. The last change to the scenario before publication was to remove 1 IJA 4-4-8 squad and one Lt MTR from the starting OB...in retrospect it was probably a little too drastic. :p

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am about to play this with the Jap getting the 2nd level of balance.

I think that it is strongly pro-Brit based on the ability to either (a) set everyone up one or near the 2nd victory condition + add reinforcements, or (b) split forces and make the attacker be outnumbered where things are not going that well.

The big one that I see is the utter uselessness of the Jap OBA. It basically cannot see anything with a level 3 OB observer. It should be level 4 to at least see either board.

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The OBA can see quite a bit...not as much as they might wish, but plenty.
The Japanese OBA is very important in this one...try Harassing Fire to slow up the reinforcements...sometimes does wonders.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I won as the Japanese due to great artillery effects (2 KIA's including a HIP gun) and breaking another 8 of 10 units hit by the end of Turn 4.

Also the Briish MC's were hopeless. He failed close to 80% of MC's and could never recover.

Definitely pro-British as a slightly better setup/defence would stop the Japanese before they can really do that much barring such a run of extreme luck.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Playing this a few minutes from now as the Brits. I had a frustrating ha;lf hour last night trying to work out some decent LOS form my 76* Mtr and the others before realising I was truing to place the wrong group on board 50.

I have an idea what I'm doing now.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Playing this a few minutes from now as the Brits. I had a frustrating ha;lf hour last night trying to work out some decent LOS form my 76* Mtr and the others before realising I was truing to place the wrong group on board 50.

I have an idea what I'm doing now.
Finding a place for that mortar that can actually hit someplace where there might be a target during play outside it's minimum range of 6 is a bear when you consider that jungle is a lvl 2 LOS block.

The only place I could find involved using a spotter.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The OBA can see quite a bit...not as much as they might wish, but plenty.
The Japanese OBA is very important in this one...try Harassing Fire to slow up the reinforcements...sometimes does wonders.
Frankly, I find many players miss the opportunities to use many options allowed, such as Harrassing Fire, often and are quick to condemn a scenario without having tried different options (and this isn't a swipe at John, btw!).

Jazz's use of a Spotter for his 76*, of course, proves the EXC to every rule.

B@st@rd.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Me also, tucked behind the hill.

Brits win. Reinforcements too strong. Splitting them into two platoons and making the Brits enter them on different board edges may make the difference.

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looking forward to playing this one in a week or two against Dr.Haasl.
Sounds "veddy interestink".

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dr.Haasl and I just finished playing this one.
We both like the concept of the scenario!
The Japanese just need some help.
We gave Dr.Dave an extra 9-1 &4-4-8 and it
still ended as a drubbing for the Sons of Nippon.
A possibility for helping the attackers would be
adding 2 4-4-8 squads and a 9-1 leader to their
O.B. and an extra 1/2 turn.
Would certainly try it again!

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Dr.Haasl and I just finished playing this one.
We both like the concept of the scenario!
The Japanese just need some help.
We gave Dr.Dave an extra 9-1 &4-4-8 and it
still ended as a drubbing for the Sons of Nippon.
A possibility for helping the attackers would be
adding 2 4-4-8 squads and a 9-1 leader to their
O.B. and an extra 1/2 turn.
Would certainly try it again!
Where did you put the big mortar?

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Behind the hill...used the spotter.
Used it once.
My mines and wire were useful, Dave found
all of them.

Binko

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Frankly, I find many players miss the opportunities to use many options allowed, such as Harrassing Fire, often and are quick to condemn a scenario without having tried different options (and this isn't a swipe at John, btw!).
I agree with you completely. And I really wonder if a lot of scenarios are as unbalanced as the record shows. Or if players simply tend to do the obvious thing on a first play and the obvious thing is often not the best.

The trouble is, in our modern ASL world where everybody owns a mountain of scenarios and wants to try the new stuff they buy, few players are willing to give multiple playings to a scenario in order to try different strategies or work out the most efficient approach.

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Heck, I'd try it again as the Ghurkas.
Not sure I'd set up my defense the exact same
way again though.