Sasl

karl

Lost in my own mind.
Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Hi

I am currently in my first SASL game in Somewhereville Southern Russia, 1941. Playing Cautious Advance on board 6 with one of the VPOs being the large stone church like building, already crawling with Russian troops, lucky for me they are mostly conscripts.

During the enemy second turn a stack of Russians on the first floor has been given a move command. This command (Roll 7) was to use all MP RAS etc with a random direction of 3.

My questions are since this stack is on the first level and not on a stairwell it cannot move direction 3 as it would fall to the ground. Does this mean this stack cannot perform its given move command and thus marked with OPP fire? Or does it make another RAS roll as this direction is no go as in S9.23 and moves that direction then stops as it meets the rest of the (roll 7) move requirements?

I can't seem to find a reference to the AFPh stating what the enemy would do. I am assuming if the enemy moved into the LOS of known friendly unit they would fire at in the AFPh if they survived all fire?

Cheers

Karl

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
karl said:
My questions are since this stack is on the first level and not on a stairwell it cannot move direction 3 as it would fall to the ground. Does this mean this stack cannot perform its given move command and thus marked with OPP fire? Or does it make another RAS roll as this direction is no go as in S9.23 and moves that direction then stops as it meets the rest of the (roll 7) move requirements?
Use common sense - one sometimes has to, when the orders meet an atypical situation.
I'd get the Russians down to ground level and move direction 3 (they have recieved a Move command, don't they?).
Now, note that if they are in possession of a HW, they recieve an automatic Fire command (always check these automatic orders S 6.---).

karl said:
I can't seem to find a reference to the AFPh stating what the enemy would do. I am assuming if the enemy moved into the LOS of known friendly unit they would fire at in the AFPh if they survived all fire?
There is a referecence (NRBH) that even says you must form the largest multi-hex FG possible during AFPh (IIRW it must be in the Attacks chapter)...

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Robin said:
There is a referecence (NRBH) that even says you must form the largest multi-hex FG possible during AFPh (IIRW it must be in the Attacks chapter)...
Yes, that's right. Especially noting the bit I quote in italics below:

S8.52 AFPh: A Multi-Location FG should be formed in the ENEMY AFPh so to maximise FP. Make a DR {A3} for each such FG to determine the Target (no Action DR is necessary as such was made for the unit during the PFPh). If necessary, use your discretion to limit the size of the FG or to determine its Target.