Sasl

Priest

Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting into SASL, I was just wondering how many people play SASL and what they think about it.

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have been playing for about six months. I enjoy it very much, especially the Pegasus Bridge and RB missions. It took me awhile to get the system down but well worth it. SALSA also makes it easier to play if you have computer near by.

Also I with VASL I can play anywhere I am at with my laptop.

Keith

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I play SASL and think it's great. It's certainly slightly different from ASL, and there are some tactics that work in ASL that don't in SASL and vice versa, but it has its own unique feel. The campaign length games are especially fun.

What's even more enjoyable I've found, is playing within a larger SASL group. I play a Coy Commander in the 1st Group SASL Ranger Brigade and it's the best! Take a look at http://1grb.sasl.info/ if you'd like to find out some more.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
I'm running a US company in Africa and a Brit company in Norway. I find it spices thing up if you tuck your company into a real campaign basing missions on actual events such as when to attack, probe, be attacked and so on.

Tactics change from ASL and I especially like the Command Control rules. It removes the "all powerful player" aspect from the game.

Last edited:

Lee

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Keith - where are the Pegasus Bridge SASL Missions? The RB ones are in one of the Journals correct?

Lee

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The Pegasus Bridge SASL Mission is in a backissue of "The Boardgamer".
It's January 2003 (Volume 8, Issue 1)

The Red Barricades SASL Missions are in Journal 1.

byouse

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We're going to be reprinting that SASL mission in a future magazine, not quite sure which yet. Probably a Journal.

Brian

pryoung

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Highly recommend SASL. Ditto to all above. Especially the part about using VASL on a laptop. You do get some funny looks from the guy in the seat next to you on the plane, however.

Pete

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As a reborn newbie to ASL, I've been digesting all this info as quickly as I can get it - and SASL was one area that I've wanted to explore. I'm contemplating if coding some kind of interface or play aid would help if it hasn't been done already. Something that I like to do. Anyways, I stumbled upon this page from one of the links above: SASL, when a familiar name jumped out - Charlie Kibler.

I'm currently playing Charlie in a pbem Combat Mission game, so I'll have to bug him about this. I've been well aware of his association with the game. I invited him to load up vasl and have a look. He said that he had some time ago, when it was in it's early stages of development. I sent him a screenshot and he said that it looked quite impressive. I (bravely) asked him if he'd like to play a little scenario and remarked that I probably know the rules better than he does now - that it had been such a long time for him. Better for me, he's brutal in Combat Mission, so I can only imagine him in his ASL days!

Priest

Reaction score
Thanks for the link Andrew, I'll give a more serious look once I've mastered SASL. I do plan to play SASL with my VASL mod, although I'm still unsure what role "Peasent Girl" will play in all this. Good ideas Purist I think that I'll add those in. It's also good to know that MMP is not going to abandon this mod.

tommyl

Reaction score
First name
Tommy
Country
llUnited States
I also like the "follow a unit through the war" aspect. Han's Meilant has some great SASL campaigns on his web site http://www.mielants.com/ASL

I'm currently playing a company of the Royal Ulster Rifles through WWII based on a history of the unit I found on the web. Using the charts in SASL II it is pretty easy to develop reasonable scenarios to match the historical situations the unit faced.

pryoung

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
GJK said:
I'm currently playing Charlie in a pbem Combat Mission game, so I'll have to bug him about this
By all means, give him our regards. I think SASL is one of the most underrated products in the entire system, mainly because a number of players shy away from it because it's not "real" ASL. Frankly, it's a tremendous accomplishment to have made a solitaire system for a game as complex as ASL that is not only workable, but a unique experience in its own right.

Pete

paulkenny

Reaction score
I find it fun to play regular ASL solo as oppossed to SASL, playing both sides as it were. That way I am guaranteed to win!

D-ploy

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
The most interesting thing for me is, I played some scenarios of the ASLSK against myself, and did not really know until the last turn, which side would actually win.

Oliver

R.S. Barker

0-52 baby!
Reaction score
Liberal use of the recent Visa commercial ensues:

Play TAHGC's Advanced Squad Leader on VASL, have SALSA and SASL running, and still get your butt kicked everytime ..... PRICELESS

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The SASL system will surprise you at least as much as a human opponent. I don't like playing a regular scenario 'solo' as doubling the '?' in the OB doesn't take away enough of my knowledge to satisfy my need to 'not know' everthing.

The C&C and random event rules are cool in SASL. The campaign games are fun, too.

The one drawback is that the enemy units are a bit too 'stupid' in their moves - even when you're given the opportunity to choose the better of two options. My company once eliminated 99 squads in a 'Human Wave' scenario; I really don't think a human would lose with 99 squads in their OB.

On the other hand, I once rolled up the 'you've been ordered to immediately pull back' random event and had one heck of a time trying to get my best leader and two squads back over the one bridge on the board! I believe the leader ended up 'escaping' after the scenario was done.

It can be an exciting experience.

Alan

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree on Hans Mielants SASL Campaigns--those got me back into SASL,and they are truly outstanding to play.

Also agree on how some of the actions dictated by the charts can be bizarre,to say the least.One way to do that is to have both sides use the C&C rules,with only those units in Control allowed Actions;then either use the Action charts for Control units,or play them as you would your own troops (but that is same as playing solo,but just use SASL charts to generate setup and forces.) But this is where some common sense comes in as to how you think the ENEMY would behave......

MD

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
"The one drawback is that the enemy units are a bit too 'stupid' in their moves - even when you're given the opportunity to choose the better of two options."

Usually what I do when asked to do something ludicrous is ignore the action and execute something less detrimental to the opposition (but still on the tables). I try not to mess too much with the system, afterall, the designers had their reasons for the way the game plays.

Last edited:

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
thanks for the tips/feed-back guys.

with the advent of VASL and its PBeM opportunities, I actually haven't done any SASL'ing in quite some time.

Oh, and forgot to mention the 'peasant girl' :devious:
Seabee Mark and I put her picture in any VC location (as a 'reminder') ;)

Alan