SASL VotG CG1 Playtest

Tom Morin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm putting the SASL VotG stuff through its final paces and was having fun with it and decided to share with the list.

I will try to be somewhat in character with the posts.

Overview- the SASL VotG CG rules use the VotG CG OB and purchase mechanics for the Friendly forces and the SASL rules (modified) to generate Enemy forces.

The Friendly side has the option to purchase Random Event capability for each scenario during the RePh; the player may opt to play 'straight-up' by not purchasing REs, just as he would in a 'normal' VotG CG, or take a chance by spending the requisite CPPs for REs. For this CG1 test, I have decided to play 'straight-up', thus what I've purchased is all I'm going to get. The Enemy gets REs, but at an enhanced level, that is, the Enemy REs are a series of three numbers instead of two numbers (e.g.- 5/6/7 instead of 6/7).

In this CG I will be playing the German side. I will now get in character as the German commander.

Sitrep: 15 Sept 1942, HQ 71st Division has ordered our 191st Infanterie Regiment (IR191) to attack the Stalingrad-1 rail station. The Soviets have turned this in to a strongpoint and are hindering the Division's advance to the Volga. For the attack we have available Bataillon I. and III., with the II. Bataillon currently detached and operating with IR211. We will have support from Stukas and Sturmgeschutz along with divisional pionier and assault detachments.

All OB purchases were made prior to S? setup. Here is the Enemy setup (S? key: green are Reserve, black are ground-level, gray are level one, blue are cellar) :
View attachment 35058
The original plan was to avoid the station and hit the flanks, but after viewing the Enemy setup, the station defenses appear weak to the northwest, and as a result the Regiment will employ an assault kompanie there to take advantage of this flaw, in addition to the planned attacks from the north and southwest.

The attack order for IR191 is as follows:

I./IR191 (CO Colonel Schmidt) will attack south along Kommunisticheskaya with a reinforced Rifle Kompanie, with the objective of reaching a line extending from the station square to Volgogradskaya and threaten the station position from the rear:
467 x8.5, 548 x2, 10-2, 8-1, 7-0, HMG, MMG, LMG, DC, ATR, StuGIIIG
This attack will be preceded by an aerial bombardment centered on J31.

III./IR191 (CO Maj Von Holtey) will attack east towards the rail crossing with a reinforced Rifle Kompanie, with the objective of controlling the area south of Kubanskaya (hexes numbered >45/46) and thus block any Enemy reinforcements from the south:
467 x8.5, 548 x2, 9-2, 8-1, 7-0, HMG, MMG, LMG, DC, ATR, MTR, StuGIIIG
Battalion mortar support will be available for this attack.

171 Sturm Kompanie (CO Capt Dobberkau) will exploit the weak station defenses and strike the northwest corner of the station building:
838 x3, 548 x3, 467 x3, 9-2, 8-1, 8-0, LMG x3, DC x3, FT

Stosstruppe Schulze (CO Lt. Schulze) is the tactical reserve for IR191, to be committed at the discretion of Regimental HQ:
548 x2, 467, 8-1, LMG, StuGIIIG

Stuka support has been promised by LI Corps.

Here are the start lines with IR191 in position for the attack:
View attachment 35060
The starting values for the Enemy are:
AC#4 (yikes- this makes up for any scarcity of S? !!!)
BTC: Level C
Soviet SAN: 5 German SAN: 3
Soviet RE: 5/6/7

I will update after play gets underway.

Regards,

Tom

Last edited:

peterk1

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
No suspects above ground level or cellars anywhere??? Lucky guy!
Brings back memories of my game last year. Good luck.

JG53_Jaguar

Reaction score
Country
llSlovakia
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the ARR, interesting concept buying REs...sounds intriguing!

peterk1

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Maybe, Maybe not....do the tables look something like this?

GERMAN RANDOM EVENT TABLE

DR
11-16 Der Fuhrer demands immediate victory. Go all out to end the fight now! The length of the campaign is shortened and will end on the current campaign day. No further reinforcements will be received.

:)

Paullus

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
No suspects above ground level or cellars anywhere??? Lucky guy!
Brings back memories of my game last year. Good luck.
Hi Peter

Tom is using coloured S? counters to represent the different levels; blue S? for cellar placed, black ground level and gray 1st level.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Tom is using coloured S? counters to represent the different levels; blue S? for cellar placed, black ground level and gray 1st level. "

I like that idea. I think I'll start using that whenever I have a village or city board in my setup, then just use levels after activation. Kudos!

Tom Morin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Of course yellow S? for 2nd level, but haven't placed any yet in this CG. I'm sure in the 2nd scenario we'll see some.

Tom

Tom Morin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
15 Sept 1942, end 1st scenario
German victory 47 stone hexes including rail station building. German amasses 88 CVP , Russian 46 CVP. Total S? activations- 49 yes, 25 no.
Soviets activated- 628AE, 628 NKVD x9.5, 527 x8, 447 x7, 426 x22, 10-0, 9-0, 8+1 x3, MMG x3, LMG x3, ATR x6, MTR, FT, T-70 x2, T-34 x2, KV-1, 76INF.
View attachment 35082
Sitrep to 71 ID HQ
IR191 was involved in heavy combat in and near the Stalingrad-I rail station. Sturmkompanie 171 (Cpt. Dobberkau) was successful in seizing the rail station building, defended stubbornly by a NKVD Militia company. Intelligence reported the NKVD troops defending the station were led by two (8+1) Commissars, J.Gochinsky and R.Waldensky, both died during the fighting. Of note was the attempted employment of a flamethrower in an aborted Soviet counterattack (RE24-25); the weapon and it's manning infantry were eliminated by pointblank SMG fire. The Sturmkompanie suffered 25% casualties in the assault, including total loss of the lone flamethrower. Cpt Dobberkau will be recommended for commendation for his leadership.
View attachment 35079
The right platoon of I./IR191 (Kompanie Schmidt) met initial success in the rail yards due to devastatingly accurate bombardment by HE111s and Stukas that shattered buildings along the west side of Kommunisticheskaya, burying Soviets in the rubble. This allowed the platoon to make a rapid advance up to the edge of the station square. They were held up briefly by a dug-in T-70 and a platoon of NKVD defending building H33. The main body of Kompanie Schmidt did not fare as well, first meeting heavy resistance from NKVD troops and a T-70 in building K31; this included Soviet heavy artillery (150OBA) that knocked out the supporting STuGIIIG; the artillery would later hit the railyards, smashing buildings and railcars and starting fires. Cpt. Schmidt was wounded by sniper fire, and then went berserk. His platoon followed his example and charged the K31 building; a (628) squad of NKVD in turn also went berserk and charged into the street to meet the berserk Landsers (resulting in that rare ASL event of dueling berserkers). The berserk Soviets died in a hail of fire. In an interesting twist, two of the berserk German squads (467s) charged into the hex with the T-70; one died in DFF, the other suffered casualties; this hex would draw in squads of both sides for several turns of close combat and heavy losses before the T-70 and NKVD would finally succumb. Kompanie Schmidt then ran into the 'Panzernest'just south of Blagoevskaya, where a dug-in KV-1 and a T-34 barred the way, supported by a platoon of NKVD Militia led by two commissars (10-0, 9-0). I./IR191 had seized the Soviet strongpoint in K33, and the T-34 charged right at them, crashing into the building, and then into the cellar! The kompanie could not advance further faced with the 'Panzernest'. Of note, another sniper's bullet found (10-2) Cpt Schmidt, mortally wounding him. Lt. Lindau (8-1) took command of the Kompanie. The kompanie suffered 50% casualties in the fighting.
View attachment 35080
III./IR191 (Kompanie Von Holtey) also met heavy resistance attempting to seize the rail crossing. They were held up for several turns by a Soviet strongpoint (D47), and intelligence reported these were elements of the 6th Tank Brigade, led by a Major Khopka (9-2) and supported by an immobilized T-34 in building G47. The supporting STuG was knocked out by flanking ATR fire. This forced Regiment to commit the tactical reserve Stosstruppe Schulze (8-1 Lt Schulze) with the remaining STuGIIIG. The STuG engaged the T-34 in a duel, with shots going back and forth for several turns. Finally, a round from the T-34 knocked out the last STuG. Lt Schulze's platoon pressed the attack and were hit by heavy fire, wounding Schulze, routing the platoon. Instrumental in the Soviet defense was the valor displayed by a SMG squad (527) of the tank brigade. This squad battle-hardened twice (fanatic 628) and created no less than three (!) heroes. In spite of Stuka attacks, this heroic bunch of troops continued to support the T-34, keeping the Landsers of III./IR191 from approaching the tank with demolition charges. The attack here was stalled except for a foray up the gully that grabbed some of the south map edge. The III./IR191 and Stosstruppe Schulze suffered 33% casualties, including two 8-1 leaders (Schulze one of them), without much to show for it.
View attachment 35081
Summary: While the attack on the station was successful, the attacks by the I. and III. /IR191 both fell short of their objectives, and the Regiment suffered 30% casualties. Furthermore, the supporting STuG battery was entirely knocked out, leaving only hand-held anti-tank weapons to deal with Soviet armor. One bright spot- the battalion mortar OBA was never used, and so will be available in the next scenario. Intelligence is now reporting the Soviets are massing to counterattack, and elements of the 13th Guards are rumored to be approaching the station. IR191 would be hard pressed to repel a heavy night attack, yet the overly eager Soviets throw away this advantage by counterattacking while it is still daylight....fools! We must now prepare to smash the counterattack. To help in this regard Division HQ has sent a heavy weapons platoon for support- heavy mortars and MG42s, tonic for the soul!

Signed, Lt von Morin, Adjutant IR191.

Merry Christmas to all my ASL comrades.

Tom

Last edited:

Tom Morin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It has definitely been fun, and has been helpful in smoothing out the final 'bugs' in the rules.

I was surprised the Soviet counterattack was not a night attack (1/6 chance), I would have been in trouble had it been a night attack.

The fun things that happen (like the Soviet 527 that HOB 5x and ended up fanatic 628 with 3x heroes!) along with the random Enemy OB units that get generated are what contribute to the high fun factor. Getting into character also makes it fun, and the AAR writeups are part of this.

Tom

Tom Morin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tom,

Speaking of a final products, is there any idea when this might be published?
I hope to submit this to Chas/MMP sometime early to mid 2012. My guess is that it would appear in a Journal.

Tom

Tom Morin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
15 Sept 1942, end 2nd scenario (Soviet Counterattack)
Soviet victory, German Controls 38 stone hexes (Soviet counterattack seized 9 Stone hexes) including all but one hex of the rail station building. German amasses 39 CVP , Russian 19 CVP. Total S? activations- 39 yes, 23 no.
Soviets activated- 628 x2, 458 x17, 527, 447 x7, 628 NKVD, 426 x7, 228 x2, 127, 10-2, 9-1 x2, 9-0, 8-1, 7-0 x2, HMG, MMG x2, LMG x3, ATR x2, MOL-P, T-70, T-34 x2, 45LAT x2. The 76INF in G40 (fort) was retained from the last scenario, as was the immobile T34 in G47.

Sitrep to 71 ID HQ
IR191 was deployed as follows to meet the expected Soviet counterattack: I./191 with one weak kompanie (supported by heavy mortars and a MG platoon) was to hold the K31 building, K33 strongpoint and the crucial I35 building.
III./191 (Kompanie Von Holtey) was to hold the area south of the rail crossing as well as the line along Krasnovolhzskaya between the station and the crossing. One assault team (fanatic 238 w/ DC) was planning to attack from the gully in the park and kill the immobile T34 in G47. Two MG platoons were attached to III./191.
Sturmkompanie 171 (Cpt Dobberkau) was to hold the station building, supported by one MG platoon.

Map key: Green S? are Advance Attitude, Hold Attitude S? are black = ground level, blue = cellar, gray = 1st level, yellow = 2nd level.
View attachment 35158

As the Soviet counterattack opened, the main weight of the attack seemed to be between the station and the crossing.

This was deceptive, as this attack was easily repulsed by III./191 along Krasnovolhzskaya. Of note in this particular attack, a high (10-2)ranking Soviet leader went berserk, foolishly charging the MG position with his men; the MG42s made short work of them. However, intelligence reported as feared that the 13th Guards Division was identified as the unit behind these attacks; no longer would we be facing inept NKVD militia, the 13th Guards was an elite division.

The heavier attacks hit both flanks of IR191. The hammer stroke hit hardest in the NE sector held by I./191. The attack started with a mine explosion (RE 66- set DC) which rubbled hex L31, eliminating a heavy mortar and the covering infantry squad (548). Enemy reinforcements entered and attacked the K33 strongpoint and the K31 building. Heavy losses caused the remnants of I/191 to fall back, resulting in the loss of these crucial VPOs. The tactical reserve was committed here (Lt Markmann and a platoon of 548s), but they were unable to retake building K31from the guardsmen. In addition to the loss of a heavy mortar, the attached MG platoon (HMG, MMG) was also lost.
View attachment 35159

South of the crossing another attack also struck hard. Here the 13th Guards were supported by T-34s. The attempt by the assault team to eliminate the immobile T-34 failed as the HS ran into a minefield that was protecting the flank of the T-34, very cunning placement of the minefield. The assault team (fanatic 238/DC) was routed, and the Soviet attack soon engulfed this flank, pushing back III./191. They soon ran into a stout defense, led by Maj. Von Holtey (9-2) and a MG platoon in the D47 strongpoint. In the face of heavy fire from three T-34s and supporting infantry, Von Holtey displayed courage and great leadership, and the position was held. Von Holtey will be recommended to receive the Knight's Cross for his exemplary actions in stemming the Soviet attack.
View attachment 35160
At the station, Sturmkompanie 171 (Cpt Dobberkau) was initially pushed back toward the north end of the building. A T-70 light tank was positioned near the NE corner of the station, and proved to be a thorn in the side, repelling repeated attempts to dislodge it; finally it was taken out in close combat by an assault squad. Dobberkau's sturmkompanie, supported by a MG platoon, were finally able to stop the attack on the station and retake all but one hex (F39).
View attachment 35161

IR191 losses were as follows: 338, 548 x3, 467 x1.5, 447 x1.5, 228, 8-1, 149 x2, 81MTR, HMG, MMG.

Intelligence reports Enemy losses were: 458 x6.5, 447, 227, 628NKVD, 426 x3.5, 10-2, 9-1, 9-0, 45LAT, T-70.

Summary: The Regiment was able to weather the enemy counterattack, with the biggest loss being the K31 block in the sector held by I./191. The heaviest casualties also occurred in this sector, and this will necessitate reforming the frontline kompanies as I./191 was hit hard. Some ground was lost in the III./191 sector, but given the heavy attacks here it could have been much worse had kompanie Von Holtey not performed so well. The action in the station sector ended well in our favor as StKp.171 stopped the Soviets cold and almost retook the entire station, which would have resulted in a victory.
View attachment 35162

Division HQ has issued orders for 16 Sept, IR191 is to reorganize to resume the attack. The regiment is to be reinforced by two platoons from Pionier Kommando 171 (the divisional Pionier Kompanie) as well as two full batteries of sturmgeschutz (STuG Abt 244) along with a STuG G that was salvaged from the battlefield. Another STuG G is in the repair shop, whilst another was deemed a total loss and scrapped. LI Corps has also promised Stuka support, and Regiment still is earmarked for support from the divisional mortar kompanie (81MTR onboard and 80MM OBA). Battle orders are to follow.

Signed, Lt von Morin, Adjutant IR191.

Last edited: