SASL VotG CG IV AAR

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hey there guys.

I'm going to give CG IV another whirl (take 3) and stream it live on Twitch (https://twitch.tv/ahriman667) starting tonight (30 Jan 2022). I'll also be uploading YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhIK8u_Tplnl1FDLYJM_yw) videos on the long series and will post here as well. I've just realized that I made some initial blunders in terms of setup area and entry of troops in my last two attempts, so I'm hoping to do a better job this time around.

I'm going to implement some tweaks to the SASL/campaign system to make it more challenging (the past two attempts were overall a little too easy):
  • If EN is Idle, at the beginning of the EN PFPh, as part of the potential Artillery Strike DR roll, if a 34-35, or a 44-45 occurs, conduct that Local Counterattack RE.
    • thinking now that I might just have a local counter-attack occur each time the EN gets an Artillery strike, but that might be too much. Thoughts?
  • When conducting an EN Artillery Strike, treat more like regular OBA, i.e. accuracy dr, correction, etc, basically less randomness to make it more effective. Continuation is still rolled for as normal and there will not be any battery access or chit draws. A maximum of two FFE's still apply.
  • When conducting EN Assault, place S? as per Idle Enemy (VOTG SASL 20.41). I.e. place 5 rows of Black S?, then conduct the Attacking Enemy rules on the first two rows only to see what units attack. This will give the RU some depth besides the Reserve S? if the attack is easily dealt with and the GE goes on the offensive. Reserves are placed as per Idle Attitude.
  • To increase the chances of a Nighttime counter-attack, when rolling 12.625 Initiative Determination, change the </= 1 to a 2 for Attack. >/= 3 means Idle. RU will automatically counterattack during 14N scenario.
  • EN will roll for PANIC as per normal before conducting an action, but I will ignore the Action Tables for particular actions. Rather I will play them for what is in their best interest.
Here is my OoB and plan of attack for 14N.

Follow along on Twitch or YouTube, and comments/corrections here are always welcome.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Just realized (before I start) that the Green and Blue code Infantry Coy I purchased also have a delayed entry, so KG 1 and 4 have a few turns to wait :(

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
First two parts of 14D have been uploaded to YouTube, covering up to the end of the German Turn 1 (Russian turn forthcoming tomorrow probably).

Steve Smith

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any chance you have your initial suspect placement saved as a .vsav? I am starting to follow along, and I'd like to have the suspect counters there if possible. Easy enough to just place the enemy units as activated, but would be great if I could have the actual initial setup from which to follow.

Either way, looking forward to it!
Thanks!
Steve

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yeah, no problem. Was thinking of linking the file in YouTube but I'll just slot it here.

Let me know if that works.

EDIT

This file has been superseded by another one further down the post.

Last edited:

Steve Smith

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is great, thanks! I realized following along with the first video it was tough trying to determine how exactly to place all the German units, so this is doubly helpful.

Thanks again!
Steve

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
SITREP #001 - 14(D) Sept 1942, GE Turn 4

Making slow progress on this CG, and just finished off the GE Turn 4 in the initial scenario (14D). My southern elements (KG3) are being whittled away courtesy of the .50 cal and HMG strongpoints, and all I have left of a pioneer platoon is a squad and a half...but at least I was able to recover the flamethrower. Videos are up on my YouTube if you guys wanted to follow along. Part VI (GE Turn 4) will be uploaded later today, with the Russian half of the turn to follow.

In the North, I've finally gained a toe hold in the buildings - remembered to use SMOKE on the assault this time - but face stiff opposition.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhIK8u_Tplnl1FDLYJM_yw

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Some of you may have seen my angry follow-on post, where I rage against the RNG I faced in the RU Turn 4. I deleted that post if you haven't seen it.

I'm going to restart the series from the GE Turn 1 because the way the last one 'ended' left a bad taste in my mouth...but I really love this SASL game so am giving it another shot. My basic plan has not changed overmuch, though I do reposition some of my forces so please follow along on my YouTube playlist if you are so inclined.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Just finished off the German Turn 5 of the initial scenario, and I realized that the Russians would not be able to generate any AT guns on 14 Sept (the date in question)...I had generated 7 of the bastards. Doh! I've removed them from play and adjusted the CVP, but left the other consequences (2 x leichte Flak HT's dead and one in flames) on board. I can't remember if any squads were broken/CR'd but likely. How could I miss this footnote???

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Finished off the Initial Scenario of CG IV yesterday, and will upload the final two part to my YouTube channel today and tomorrow. I'll post the AAR here shortly.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
SITREP #002

14(D) Sept 1942
CVP: GE
210 RU 74
VP (Stone Locations): GE - RU -
Hard-fought victory for the Germans who amassed 210 CVP compared to 74 CVP for the Russians. Russians roll a 1 for the counter-attack which means they will be attacking during the night of 14 Sept 1942.

Overall, most assaults went as planned, and objectives were reached, with the exception of KG2 and KG4. The latter was only saved from being overrun by the (literal) last-minute appearance of the 191st IR elements. They were able to stabilize the front in that sector, and covered for the beleaguered elements that were trying to push the Russian back. KG2 primarily ran into manpower shortages as they did not have enough troops to clear all the way to the main road and the three factories alongside it. Stubborn Russian defence saw to that. Several close-combats swung back and forth over the course of the game, with the Germans winning half of them. Others were lost, such as when a concealed 247 won ambush against a PINNED 328HS, but rolled a 12 on the CC roll, or ended in mutual destruction. Also noteworthy, was the sudden appearance of 2 x 76L ART guns that between them killed an 8-1 and 5 x 548's outright. Though eventually dealt with, the two guns, as well as the other guns that were generated, did manage to cause some havoc to the nearby German forces. Several fortified building locations are now firmly in German hands, including the battered Rail Station Stalingrad-1.

German losses to Kompanies 1 and 5 were so severe that they have been merged into one Kompanie, and the officers distributed around. Stosstruppe 1 and 3 were KIA, including their officers; one pioneer platoon also lost its leader in the combat. The other German units also suffered some attrition but to a slightly lesser degree. Two of three leichte Flak HT's were destroyed in combat, while two StuG B's are left immobilized on the battlefield as recovery attempts were halted in the face of the counter-attack. Overall, the German OoB is stable, but spread somewhat thin to oppose the Russians that are coming in the night.

Here is what the frontlines look leading into the dreaded Russian nighttime counter-attack.

Here is the summary of casualties inflicted and generated on both sides.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Started the second scenario, a nighttime counter-attack, last night. Took 2.5 hours to do the complete Russian MPh :)

I can see right off the bat that I'm going to have to implement my house rules and put down some black S? in depth, because once I deal with the current assault (a lot of 426's were generated), there is nothing stopping me from pushing forward and occupying empty locations. I wonder how this is dealt with in F-to-F play? Do you as a Russian player setup in defense, and only commit part of your forces to the assault?

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
First two videos (third on the way) covering the Russian Turn 1 and part of the German Turn 1 of the counter-attack scenario for 14N Sept 1942 have been uploaded to my YouTube. Please comment there if you notice anything I did wrong (likely :) ). Having a blast with the Russian over-powering ambush at night, decimating those pesky Germans.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Was a slog, but I finished the 14N scenario with a German victory (barely) on Turn 6. Videos are up, and I'll post a SITREP here today sometime.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
SITREP #003

14(N) Sept 1942 - German Victory
CVP
: GE: 181 RU: 56
VP: GE: 38 RU: 9

EN Parameters:
AC: 4
RE: 5/6/7
ELR: 3
Boobytrap Level: A

The 14N - night time counter-attack - scenario took me a while to finish but the Germans squeaked out a victory on the last turn by recovering captured stone locations from the Russians, thereby denying the Russians victory. They needed 10 or more stone locations and only had managed to take 9 by scenario end. Here is what the final frontline delineation looks like...

Russian forces setup as a General Attack, which meant that the first two (out of three) rows of S? switched from Hold Attitude to Advance Attitude. In addition, there were two subsequent rounds of reinforcements (one from the North, the other from the South, for a total of 22 S? counters) that entered play before I rolled high enough to stop further reinforcements. They were also able to generate some upper-floor units, including 2 x 458s with a HMG, MMG, and a 9-2 leader to support their assault; they would do an excellent job of breaking German units that attempted to setup across the road from them in the centre of the frontline.

My biggest strategic blunder during setup, was forgetting about the appearance of potential Russian reinforcements, notably in the South. This meant that my initial setup was not strong enough to repel the Russian assault in that sector which is why the German frontline was pushed back so far. By Turn 5, only broken Germans remained in the South, and some late-arriving Stosstruppe platoon was able to begin reclaiming terrain before the Russians could win.
Turn1...
Turn 5

Elsewhere, the Germans were able - despite heavy losses in AFV (2) and squads (~20) - to hold off the Russian assault and in fact gained new ground in preparation for the 15D German attack. Notably almost reaching the Milchaus and the Market Hall; though they did secure most of the city-block around the Market Hall. In the centre meantime, after being initially repulsed by enemy actions, GE squads were able to rally and reclaim lost territory restoring the frontline start-locations. Not suprising, one of the biggest cause of German casualties, was the Russian ability to decimate the German in close combat. I opted primarily for H-to-H, and frequently the Russian was able to gain ambush. For their part, the German proved incapable (at least twice) to defeat even Russian broken units in H-to-H.

Here is final tally of casualties inflicted on both sides, as well as what was generated on the Russian side.

So far in two scenarios worth of fighting, the Germans have lost over 50 squad-equivalents, several AFV, and many leaders. Luckily they have plenty of SW left to carry on the fight. Looking ahead to the 15D scenario, I'm thinking of two general axes of advance, in the South towards the Children's Home and 1st of May Square, and the North (9th of January Square (hopefully reach Pavlov's House)). I plan to augment the ~50 squads remaining with two more rifle coy's, a stosstruppe, and a pioneer platoon (to secure the Children's Home). The AFV platoons will be split between the North and South axes, with a flight of Stuka's on overwatch to deal with fortifications and Russian armour.

The centre will slowly probe their way forward, with secondary objectives to be the Nail Factory and the city-blocks to the South, and potentially reach Saratovskaya. At least that is what I'm thinking prior to EN setup and distribution of the remaining German forces.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
SITREP #004

15 (D) September 1942

MSN Parameters:
EN AC: 3
EN RE: 3/4/5
EN ELR: 3
Boobytrap Level: A
EN SAN: 5
FR SAN: 3
FR ELR: 4

Losing those ~30 467 squads is really hurting my setup. In order to complete some basic objectives and push the Russians back to the Volga, I'm focusing my OoB on North and South orientation; there are only two platoons that will be able to hold the centre, augmented by a single platoon of StuG G's - we can only hope there is no Russian local counter-attack. Reinforcements in the shape of a Green Code Rifle Coy (KG1) and a Purple Code Rifle Coy (KG2) will support their KG's in achieving control of 9th January Square and the Firehall/Children's Home respectively. A pioneer platoon will rush into the fortified building location North of the Children's Home to support the assault there, while a Stosstruppe will advance quickly down the centre towards the known roadblock to help support the defence in that sector.
Once the primary objectives of the two KG's have been secured, they will push down to the South and North (respectively) and try to clear out ENEMY strongpoints. Elements of KG1 will also push along the Northern map edge to secure control for future operations, while elements of KG2 will push into the 1st of May Square/South map edge. Success of both primary objectives must be obtained to secure lines against a potential night-time counter-attack.
KG1
Securing the Milchhaus and 9th January Square.

KG2
Close-up of the task facing KG2.

ChappyNS

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llCanada
Hey man! It has been awhile - I used to publish my RCR campaign (using your campaign design) on here a couple years back. It has been that long since I played SASL! I got into other games like Old School Tactical, Gloomhaven, and ASL face-to-face with some local guys. I do miss it though.

Wow this Russian/German campaign of yours is extremely cluttered! I can see why it takes so long to make a move. Did you manage to complete this one?

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Just finished the second day. Been playing other games and some ASL f-t-f, but I plan to finish it sometime.