SASL S? Placement

Georgii2222

Really Groovy Frood
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi,

I've been trying to figure out S? placement in SASL. I'm playing mission 1 'cautious advance'.

I've got cases A and C of 4.1 figured out, but I'm having some issues with B. in reading the rules, the below seems right, but it just looks like waaaayy too many S? counters. I rolled for even.

Last edited:

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi Jeff,

You have it right, with one very small exception that H8 should be removed because it is within 3 hexes of the FBE (S4.11).

It is an unusually high number of S?, I agree. Partly that's because board 42 isn't classified as a woods board... if it had been, half of the woods S? would have disappeared on account of S4.13

On the other hand, there is no penalty to ignoring a whole bunch of S? in Cautious Advance. If you just focus on the Victory Point Objectives, you might be able to leave nearly all of the centrally-placed S? in the forest unactivated for the entire game.

Andrew

Georgii2222

Really Groovy Frood
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Reepicheep said:
Hi Jeff,

You have it right, with one very small exception that H8 should be removed because it is within 3 hexes of the FBE (S4.11).

It is an unusually high number of S?, I agree. Partly that's because board 42 isn't classified as a woods board... if it had been, half of the woods S? would have disappeared on account of S4.13

On the other hand, there is no penalty to ignoring a whole bunch of S? in Cautious Advance. If you just focus on the Victory Point Objectives, you might be able to leave nearly all of the centrally-placed S? in the forest unactivated for the entire game.

Andrew
Also, am I right in thinking that the cases are cumulative? Example, the VPO buildings, H5 and I3, each got a S? because of case A (bd 42 being built-up, I rolled on the A9e Chart for each building HEX, with a -1 DRM), then again for being VPO locations.

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Yes, the cases are cumulative. So any hexes designated as VPO locations have the best chance of being more heavily defended with S? than other locations.

Looking at the rules, you would only make one dr on the A9e Chart on account of S? Placement on a Built-Up Mapboard. So you would begin by placing two S? in each VPO building location (per cases a and c) and then roll on the chart to see which, if any, are to be removed (with the listed exception in S4.12 being that there must be at least one S? placed per VPO hex).

Georgii2222

Really Groovy Frood
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Reepicheep said:
Yes, the cases are cumulative. So any hexes designated as VPO locations have the best chance of being more heavily defended with S? than other locations.
Understood.

Reepicheep said:
Looking at the rules, you would only make one dr on the A9e Chart on account of S? Placement on a Built-Up Mapboard. So you would begin by placing two S? in each VPO building location (per cases a and c) and then roll on the chart to see which, if any, are to be removed (with the listed exception in S4.12 being that there must be at least one S? placed per VPO hex).
I rolled for each hex according to this:

ASLRB said:
S4.12..... S? counters placed in a rubble/building hex for any of cases 4.1 a, c, d or e are removed if none of the determined Location(s) (as determined by a dr {A9e} for each hex) exist in that hex (e.g., a Final dr of 3 ["none"] or 5 ["Second Level"] {A9e} would have no effect for a Single Story House) [EXC: if such a hex contains >= one VPO Location, reroll until >= one S? is placed in a VPO Location of that hex]....
Thanks,