SASL Question

AA_AllAmerican2

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am currently reading the SASL rules in preparation for my first game and I came up with a question on something that just wasn't clear to me. Can an enemy S? be activated by the PREP fire of a FRIENDLY unit. If so, I presume it would be area fire . . . and when would the activated S? (assuming it activated a an enemy unit) fire back? During First Fire or would have to wait until Final Fire?

I sure wish the rules for SASL also provided an example of one complete turn of both the FRIENDLY and ENEMY sides.

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
AA_AllAmerican2 said:
Can an enemy S? be activated by the PREP fire of a FRIENDLY unit.
Yes, as long as a concealment loss result is achieved.

AA_AllAmerican2 said:
If so, I presume it would be area fire
Yes; see the second bullet point under S3.1

AA_AllAmerican2 said:
. . . and when would the activated S? (assuming it activated a an enemy unit) fire back? During First Fire or would have to wait until Final Fire?
First fire; see S8.61

AA_AllAmerican2 said:
I sure wish the rules for SASL also provided an example of one complete turn of both the FRIENDLY and ENEMY sides.
Hmm. I sense a potential project :)

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Chris! That helps :D Unfortunately, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer and it leads me to another question. If an S? is activated by a FRIENDLY unit in the FRIENDLY PREP Fire phase, and the ENEMY unit resulting from that activation survives the result of that fire in GOOD ORDER, when does/can it fire back? 8.61 seems to make reference to FIRST FIRE against a moving target.

Does it FIRST FIRE at the target that activated it regardless of whether or not that target was a moving unit?

If it is supposed to wait until the FINAL FIRE phase of the turn, is it compelled to fire at the unit that activated it? Or, does a moving unit in its LOS take priority and hence the moving unit become a FIRST FIRE TARGET?

Again, thanks for your help and please bear with me if these questions have been asked in the past; or more likely, if I'm making this more complicated than it needs to be.

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
Anonymous said:
If it is supposed to wait until the FINAL FIRE phase of the turn, is it compelled to fire at the unit that activated it? Or, does a moving unit in its LOS take priority and hence the moving unit become a FIRST FIRE TARGET?
It's not compelled to fire at any particular target. Treat it as you would any other activated Enemy unit; if a moving target is eligible to be fired on through range/TEM, then it will. Otherwise, it might fire back at the unit that activated it during the DFPh, or it might fire elsewhere. Or it'll just panic and do nothing at all :)

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
About an example of play, there has been one in a "General" issue, some years ago - I unfortunately don't remember the issue number (it must be in vol 30-32)...