SASL Question

peterk1

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Any SASLERs here?

I bought it when it first came out but never played it. I was bored tonight so I thought I'd try to start a little campaign. Lucky me I drew the scenario called The Fortress and then drew 2 city boards.

I'm pretty sure I did the ? placement properly (roll for each building/woods and then each location in the VPO automatically gets 1)...the thing is there's 118 of them on the board. WHich means the minimum scenario length is going to be 23 turns! Is this normal for SASL??? It sounds insane.

Just curious.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
For towns, you have to roll for each building hex on a special table, that tells you what levels are occupied (it can result in "none", e.g. if it says "2nd lvl" and the bdg is only ground lvl)...
That should reduce the number of "Suspect ?" counters...

See S4.12 :
S? Placement on Built-up Mapboards: Table A9e is used to determine S? setup (non-Rooftop/-Sewer) Locations of each building/rubble hex on a mapboard with 19 rubble-Locations/buildings (marked with the "v" and "c" prefixes on Table A9), even if the entire mapboard is not in play.
S? counters placed in a rubble/building hex for any of cases 4.1 a, c, d or e are removed if none of the determined Location(s) (as determined by a dr {A9e} for each hex) exist in that hex (e.g., a Final dr of 3 ["none"] or 5 ["Second Level"] {A9e} would have no effect for a Single Story House) [EXC: if such a hex contains one VPO Location, reroll until one S? is placed in a VPO Location of that hex]. For purposes of this rule, each rowhouse hex is considered a separate building.

Hope that helps... :rolleyes:

Peebs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
peterk1 said:
Any SASLERs here?

I bought it when it first came out but never played it. I was bored tonight so I thought I'd try to start a little campaign. Lucky me I drew the scenario called The Fortress and then drew 2 city boards.

I'm pretty sure I did the ? placement properly (roll for each building/woods and then each location in the VPO automatically gets 1)...the thing is there's 118 of them on the board. WHich means the minimum scenario length is going to be 23 turns! Is this normal for SASL??? It sounds insane.

Just curious.
Yea, as long as you did what Robin said that sounds about right. Just remember, each building hex needs a roll on A9e so its possible there might not be any in the hex depending on what you roll. Those scenarios take forever to set up..

Michael

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Heavywieght mission...

Peaberry said:
Those scenarios take forever to set up..
Once, I even had to draw oversized hexes of the "Fortress" on scratch paper, so I could place the numerous stacks that occupied it at all levels ! On the standard board, the three levels of stacks were as stable as a castle of cards...
That mission can offer some very "heavy" (RB style?) urban fighting... One appreciates the "Recon" mission, afterwards ! ;)

peterk1

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
OK, thanks guys...looks like I did it right. I rolled them and I must have rolled "badly"....118 ?'s!!!

So 23 turns for one of these SASL missions is not totally unheard of?

Yes, it is taking forever to setup! I thought I'd setup the thing and play a quick turn before going to bed last night, but I'm still setting up this morning.

Now to make things even more interesting, the City is devastated and I'm rolling up the barrage right now. Learning some new rules at least. Hopefully some big buildings will be totalled so I can remove some of the ?'s I placed earlier. Did things a bit out of order.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
... and rubble is usually not considered as a building. Is it the case here?
Does the bombardment occur after you placed the S?
I don't have the Mission card handy...

Hopalong

Reaction score
Country
ll
peterk1 said:
Any SASLERs here?

Just curious.
Hi Peter,

I'm currently on turn 12 out of 19 :) in this mission. By the way I don't believe every location in the VPO gets a ?, S4.12 over rides that. A4.12 requires that you re-roll for each hex until at least one location of that hex contains a ?

Good luck in this one. As I said I'm on turn 12 and only just starting to bring some fire to bear on the Fortress.

peterk1

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi Robin,

? can set up in Rubble in this one but what it did do is cancel any upper floor ?'s that I placed if the lower floors got rubbled...so I got to remove about 12 of them that way. We're down to 21 turns minimum on this.

Hi Paul,

I was wondering about how to handle that. Looks like I can cancel out a couple more of them.

==============================================================
Finally got to play a half turn in this one....turns out we're facing Elite SS (I generated a 658 on my first AC) with first line US. My best leader already got toasted crossing a road (on a measly 1(-2) residual). And I generated Motorized reinforcements for the first german wind change, so there's a company of 447's hightailing it over in Trucks. Pretty crazy after only a half turn and not looking good.

I'm trying to find the automatic action the rules covering the trucks, but aren't having much luck so I'm paused for now.

karl

Lost in my own mind.
Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Hi

After setting up the ? counters I look where they are and if it looks like I am going to have a division appear in one of the building :) I roll a dice and 50/50 the placements.

This seems to work better as I find a whole heap of enemy units in one building a little bit "unreal" for me. I try to play as if I was the enemy, would I stick my whole force in one building.

Cheers

Karl

peterk1

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Well depends....in a scenario called The Fortress it probably makes sense to have a huge mass in that building. I'm playing Tractor Works and The Commissar's House right now by e-mail and they're pretty much point defenses similar to this SASL mission.

I think the key is that even though there's tons of ?'s on the board, most of them before the fortress location can be reasonably bypassed without activation. That last building is going to be a monsterous scrap though, if I get that far.

peterk1

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
ARGH! Those motorized reinforcements that I generated for the enemy and then spent a half-hour going through the rules to see how to handle the trucks....

Anyone else ever do this?....generate the RE for the Enemy on the X9 chart instead of the A11 chart!?! ARGH! <Banging head against the wall>

Turned out to be a nice easy to resolve minefield instead...12 factors...HS dies and leader #2 breaks. Taking casualties and I've barely fired a shot so far. On to turn 2.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
peterk1 said:
Anyone else ever do this?...
I once had the same problem, not knowing what to do about unloading and evacuating Enemy trucks... until I realised I rolled on the bad chart...
So welcome to the "banging heads" club !:argh: :laugh:

peterk1

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
:) Glad I'm not the only one.

Well, I'm on turn 4 now, and I must say THIS IS A HECK OF A LOT OF FUN! Much less complicated than I thought it would be.