SASL question, S? Activation & Actions, S3.321 & S5.5

John Fowler

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello,

Question from a newbie, regarding actions taken by an S? in Advance-Attitude after Activation in its MPh.

I see that in S5.5, if the ENEMY was activated by FRIENDLY Defensive Fire, it will use its AFPh to fire.

However, what about if it is activated by movement, case S3.32 a) ? Will it fire in the AFPh? Should it advance in the APh according to S11? My reading of the S3.321 rules, the last sentence, seems to imply that it may do nothing until the next player turn, when it determines its action normally.

I could not find any errata or Q&A to address this, sorry if it is an easy question.

many thanks,
John

pryoung

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You're right, John, it's not an easy question. :)

The rules don't seem to directly address this situation. While I agree that 3.321 implies that they perform actions starting only with the next turn, it wouldn't make sense to me to have an activated unit not participate in the AFPh or APh just because they were activated during that turn. Activation means only that those units were identified, not that they just appeared on the map. Presumably, they'd been functional units up to that point, just not visible to the player.

So, without a rules citation to back it up, I'd play it (and think I have in the past) that they function normally as soon as they are activated, and would be eligible to participate in all phases just as if they'd been activated all along. What I don't know is whether you'd need to make an Action DR for them to fire in the AFPh (as S5.5 requires). My guess would be no; since they were activated because they were already moving during that turn, it'd seem contrary to the usual flow of SASL to have them possibly panic just because you spotted them.

Again, no rules citations to back this up (and I'm trying to solve the question using logic, always a dangerous thing in ASL), but that's how I play it.

Pete

peterk1

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'm playing Patrol right now and that's how I'm doing it as well.

? stops its movement in the hex in which it is spotted (a pretty nasty penalty all by itself...it's usually open ground) and may not move further.

? Can shoot in the AfPh just like any other activated unit and does not make a Panic check.

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I play the same as the way Pete described and treat the newly activated units as any other units that moved during the MPh and fire in the AFPh.

Designing a solitaire game system is complicated enough that sometimes things like this slip through the cracks, IMO. Sometimes using logic and common sense is the best way forward to solve a SASL rules problem.

John Fowler

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks to all for their comments, which make a lot of sense. My reason for posting, other than the fact that the rules seem to imply the opposite of what would "make sense", was that this seems like an obvious question, for a situation that happens a lot. I thought there might be something in an FAQ or Errata or Q&A somewhere that I was missing. (i.e., something 'official') It seems that this is not the case, but that the consensus is the do the thing that makes sense.

Now, the next question is, what to do with these units. It seems that there will be two types of 'just-Activated' units in an APh - a) ones Activated by their Movement, and b) ones Activated by Defensive Fire. Units of type (b) are covered by S5.5, and need an Action Roll (ie, Panic is possible) to get the Fire Command. Type (a) units are the ones that my question was directed at - it seems that the answers so far indicate that these units should not have to roll for Panic, but should get an Automatic Fire Command. Does this 'make sense' - in effect, if Activated by Fire, there is a penalty of sorts in that the unit might Panic? I can see it either way, but I'd like to hear the thoughts of more experienced players.

Again, thanks for the quick replies!!

John

John Fowler

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Topic: SASL FOCUSED WEBSITE?

Another quick question, for SASLers - is there any other website concentrating primarily on SASL, with a forum for rules questions? I'd be interested to hear other replies ( on my second question above).

Thanks!
John