SASL only players?

DQuin

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does anybody here play SASL exclusively when playing ASL solo? If so, what is it you like better about SASL than simply playing both sides of a scenario?

I’ve been toying around with both and can’t quite decide which I like better. I love the balance of a standard scenario, but for a solo experience, I think SASL provides another very important layer of suspense and “realism” with fog of war and command & control. So many charts and dice rolls though!

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
What i like about SASL
  1. no pressure to do 2, 3 or 4 logs per week. I play when i want, and can stop mid turn
  2. i actually really like the SASL system
  3. I like running "my guys" through multiple scenarios. i feel like each game is a "band of brothers" like chapter
  4. i like tweeting something against me or in my favour, when i want to try something different or play against a particular thing (like i'll randomly give my side or theirs a flamethrower, or air support, to try those rules)
  5. depending on my mood, i can play any sort of game i feel like playing
  6. i don't mind all the charts and die rolls. Once you've done it a few times, you can get through it pretty quickly. Quicker than waiting for an opponent to complete his turns most times
What i like about ASL play by email
  1. playing alone most of the time, i've developed some bad rules habits (playing the game in the wrong order or playing a common rule just plain wrong through ignorance. I like when my opponent pulls me up and straitens me out
  2. i like feeling like i am playing against another person, are they a stronger player than me? Will they fall for this fake edge board run?
  3. i like the wity banter that comes with most games

DQuin

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What i like about SASL
  1. no pressure to do 2, 3 or 4 logs per week. I play when i want, and can stop mid turn
  2. i actually really like the SASL system
  3. I like running "my guys" through multiple scenarios. i feel like each game is a "band of brothers" like chapter
  4. i like tweeting something against me or in my favour, when i want to try something different or play against a particular thing (like i'll randomly give my side or theirs a flamethrower, or air support, to try those rules)
  5. depending on my mood, i can play any sort of game i feel like playing
  6. i don't mind all the charts and die rolls. Once you've done it a few times, you can get through it pretty quickly. Quicker than waiting for an opponent to complete his turns most times
What i like about ASL play by email
  1. playing alone most of the time, i've developed some bad rules habits (playing the game in the wrong order or playing a common rule just plain wrong through ignorance. I like when my opponent pulls me up and straitens me out
  2. i like feeling like i am playing against another person, are they a stronger player than me? Will they fall for this fake edge board run?
  3. i like the wity banter that comes with most games
A nice breakdown. I’ve really enjoyed how the SASL system can create a unique narrative with the random events that’s rarely duplicated in a standard scenario.