rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Hello!

Been thinking to delving into SASL. My question is: is it fun? Or is it more or some sort of academic exercise? I am OK with chaos, I sort of like it.

I just want to have some fun playing a solo tactical game. In a way it would help with refreshing rules knowledge, though I realize its not ASL.

Or should I search out a copy of Ambush?

Peace

Roger

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Have only played 4 SASL scenarios, I and my friend played a Russian Coy starting 1941 Barbarossa each scenario for each month June, July, August, September. We stopped due to lack of time but enjoyed the time spent.

The AI ain't good that is why we decided to played the Russian side, would also suggest to not have a Commissar in your Coy if you play the Russians and retreat when neccessary.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello!

Been thinking to delving into SASL. My question is: is it fun? Or is it more or some sort of academic exercise? I am OK with chaos, I sort of like it.

I just want to have some fun playing a solo tactical game. In a way it would help with refreshing rules knowledge, though I realize its not ASL.

Peace

Roger
It can be quite fun (and is most of the time) but can be trying at times as well with the large amount of dr/DR one makes or exasperating at others when your guys fail their Cmd TC and you REALLY needed these exact units in the fight NOW! Certainly a different feel than ASL but no less exhilarating when you pull out a tough close win or dejecting when you get a close tough loss. As for sharpening your skills, it's your approach to the situation that determines the results. If you religiously look up rules you're unsure of it can dispel many misconceptions (subject to individual interpretation of course), but if you go with what you think a questionable rule might say to save playing time, you get what you were looking for - nothing more than your initial feeling on the matter. With a pretty regular opponent now I don't play a lot of SASL but I'll always have a Mission going (if for nothing else as an escape route when I've been taken to the cleaners by my FtF opponent recently).

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello!

Peace

Roger
If you like chaos, give it a try. Every game is unique, especially because the enemy forces are completely unknown before the beginning of the scenario. Alternatively, if you want to play the regular scenarios solo, give these rules a try.... https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ira4fpWyHw6OdaBl9cG2op_hlAA12Zrx/view?usp=sharing

David Murray

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I have enjoyed it - the fog of war is its particular strength. Depending on the rolls a mission can be quite simple or fiendishly difficult - but the challenge is usually interesting. I think of it as a separate game that uses the same rules as ASL, if you take that approach I think you might enjoy it.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I’ve enjoyed it over the years. You can manipulate the system to keep things in control but there’s enough variability that sooner or later you’re playing a Kobayashi Maru scenario. The trick is when to recognize that and then how to deal with it. That’s what I enjoy most.

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
After gathering dust on the shelf for 20ish years I finally gave my copy a try five or so years ago and I've been playing it constantly ever since. The missions are, imo, written for campaign play and this is where the game shines. If you play the missions as one-off games (with your force assembled DYO style) they lose a lot of play value. When I want a one-off game of SASL I run a standard scenario that I've adapted for SASL play (only a fraction of published scenarios lend themselves to this, but it can be quite fun when it works and gives a change of pace from campaign play.)

If you can track down the July 1996 ASL Digest (I found it some time back on the web someplace, it was issue 6.4 if that helps) it has an article on using Personal Leaders a la original Squad Leader in ASL. I tend to use these in my campaign games in place of one of the campaign company leaders for extra flavor.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Thanks to all who chimed in........... Seems like a lot of dice rolling overhead, but also sounds like chaotic ASL fun.........

again thanks!