SASL Enemy Activation

mburskey

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am confused with Table 1 Activation Check on each nationality chart in SASL.

German table states something like this "Friendly Infantry is in LOS within 12 hexes with a final drm < or = -2"

An example...an American 6-6-6 squad normal moves into a wood building (+2 TEM) within LOS 12 hexes
of a Suspect German enemy counter. (I assume no AC check.) This same squad continues normal move in open terrain for two
more hexes...now within 10 hexes of the same Suspect enemy counter (drm = -2).

Would the Suspect counter have to undergo an activation check?

If I read SASL rule 3.31 asterisk note...FFMO and FFNAM do not count towards this advancing unit's net IFT drm.

Thank you for any help!

Mike Burskey

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am confused with Table 1 Activation Check on each nationality chart in SASL.

German table states something like this "Friendly Infantry is in LOS within 12 hexes with a final drm < or = -2"

An example...an American 6-6-6 squad normal moves into a wood building (+2 TEM) within LOS 12 hexes
of a Suspect German enemy counter. (I assume no AC check.) This same squad continues normal move in open terrain for two
more hexes...now within 10 hexes of the same Suspect enemy counter (drm = -2).

Would the Suspect counter have to undergo an activation check?

If I read SASL rule 3.31 asterisk note...FFMO and FFNAM do not count towards this advancing unit's net IFT drm.

Thank you for any help!

Mike Burskey
Hi Mike,
That one confused me for a while too. What they are saying, is during the MPh, FFMO and FFNAM count toward the activation. During the APh they do not count.

mburskey

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you for clearing this up! The wording on the chart and in the rules is confusing.

In my example, the American 6-6-6 in MPh moved into open terrain
within 10 hexes of a german suspect counter (drm = -2). I would think the german suspect
counter would undergo an activation check based on G1 table A). Am I wrong?

Last edited:

Steed

Reaction score
First name
Walter
Country
llUnited States
At 12 hexes you would have an IFT mod of +1 ( +2 Wood Building, -1 Non-Assault Movement), No Activation Roll
At 11 hexes you would have an IFT mod of -2 (-1 Non-Assault, -1 Movement in Open ), Yes Activation Roll.
At 10 hexes you also have -2 so you would have to roll. Although at 10 hex range the modifier might less for the activation ( <=-1 ) - I don't have the rules with me at the moment.

I'm also assuming there are no LOS hindrances.

Basically the final ITF modifier ( movement, terrain, LOS hindrances ) has to be equal to or less then what is on the chart for that particular range. And ofcourse a LOS.

For the Russians
@ 8 hexes mod <= -2
@ 6 hexes mod <=-1
@ 4 hexes mod <=0

So at 7 hexes the modifier has to <=-2, at 5 hexes <= -1.

Hope it helps.

Steed

Reaction score
First name
Walter
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Steed! This is a big help. These rules can be confusing.

This may help you. Recently I've been playing SASL with a friend on VASL - yes 2 players playing Solitaire ASL. I have part of the company and he has the other part. It allows us to learn the rules and tactics quicker and I think better. I've been playing SASL for 3-4 years ( mostly during winter months ) and thought I was pretty good with the rules but I've been corrected several times by my friend who is just getting into SASL ( we've both had ASL for decades ). It's certainly not as competitive as head to head but it's been fun so far. Hopefully you can find someone else who's interested enough to give it a try.