SASL - Coming Back to ASL

Squinch

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi All,
What a great community of ASL'ers! I've enjoyed the last few weeks reviewing countless threads.

I'm a 40 something coming back to ASL after a 25 year (jeez, has it been that long) hiatus. I've been captivated by WW2 tactical combat since a child and spent much of my past gaming with miniatures. I picked up the v1 binder a month or so ago and Santa delivered the v2 handbook, perfectly sized to read anywhere, a feature my wife absolutely loves...

I've played a few small scenarios with my sons (9 and 11) and tried a couple solo (not SASL). I'm a reasonably proficient 'gamer' and could create enough unknowns to make it interesting. Then I 'discovered' SASL and realized this might be what I'm missing. I eventually found a copy on E-Bay. Well, it was a partial copy of v1. I understood from the title that it was incomplete but couldn't tell exactly what it might be missing. Turns out it's missing all of chapter S. The charts and (enough) counters and missions are there though.

I've since played mission one three times. I had to search through the various threads to figure out the S? placement (have that mostly down) but there are a few nuances in other areas I'm missing. For example, the RE's are shown as 2/3, 3/4 and 5/6. I think I've pieced together this is the weather (DR) roll (each RPh). Am I correct here- a DR of 5 with the ER currently at 5/6 would result in the respective event? BTW, the BEST part of the SASL missions has been the events. Well maybe not for my German SPW crews who arrived by ER and four minutes later found themselves facing a T-34/85. Easy come, easy go...

The last mission I played was a Co'op with one of my boys. A great way to play without the competitive slant. I've been using SALSA to generate activations and actions.

I have VASL set up but am still a touchy feely gamer. Interested in FtF but live in NE California, Sonora is closest. Sacramento is a couple hours away, I'll post something in the opponent finder area.

Hope to be a regular participant although I'm sure I'll be 'withdrawing' for the near future as I re-learn this great system and have questions.

Pete

rykirk

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hey Pete,

I'm not in the same area as you, but I too am going down the SASL route for the first time right now. I've got a complete copy of the second edition of SASL if there was anything you needed help with let me know. I'm currently generating a campaign for a Hungarian company, probably in 1942 sometime. The historical research potential in SASL and the chance to play campaign games is a big draw for me.

Ryan

Squinch

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the offer Ryan,
Another member is currently providing me some assistance. I do have a quick question about RE though. As per my OP, is the RE a weather check DR and on the 2 or 3 for '2/3 RE' an event occurs?

I have so many battles/periods in my bucket list I would like to play solo or SASL, it's hard to pick one. I'm currently working up a way to play the Singling fight as a SASL CG. That much armor might be over my expertise at this stage though.

The CG sounds interesting. Have you picked a specific unit to cover?
Pete

rykirk

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yes, the RE is based on the Wind Change DR and you get two RE Numbers. Note that the player rolls their RE on their on nationality chart while the enemy uses A11 (excluding Partisans).

Here is a partial reference:

2.2 "The Wind Change DR is also the RE DR for the current ATTACKER. If the Wind Change DR is equal to either of the ATTACKER's current RE Numbers (2.1) a subsequent DR is made on the pertinent RE Table to determine the specific RE."

Haven't picked a unit yet, still reading up on the major actions, seeing if I can identify a unit that was present at most or all of them.

Squinch

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Ryan!

BTW, curses to you :>) Now you have me looking at the Hungarians, if for nothing else a look at an army I've never researched. I do a lot of 15mm miniature gaming and frequently use the Battlefront (not the FOW Company) OOB's. The Hungarians have some interesting unit compositions if these are to be trusted.

Here's the link I was looking at:
http://www.fireandfury.com/orbats/hungarians.pdf

Neat stuff. Let me know what unit you settle on.
Pete

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Ryan!

BTW, curses to you :>) Now you have me looking at the Hungarians, if for nothing else a look at an army I've never researched. I do a lot of 15mm miniature gaming and frequently use the Battlefront (not the FOW Company) OOB's. The Hungarians have some interesting unit compositions if these are to be trusted.

Here's the link I was looking at:
http://www.fireandfury.com/orbats/hungarians.pdf

Neat stuff. Let me know what unit you settle on.
Pete

Pete
is their a 'key' any where that explains the symbols letters & number on the carts?

daniel

Squinch

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Daniel,
I'm having trouble getting the link to copy/paste but here is neat resource I found:

search for 'OOD Symbol Legend' in Google
Look for a PPT (PowerPoint) file called Briefing Graphics and Tactical Symbols from https://sg6rocks.files.wordpress.com....
I can select it from the google results but can't seem to capture the link to paste here.

Pete