SASL - cautious advance

tunixx

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Just before christmas I had 1 week off from work and I got my hands on a copy of SASL - a perfect combination. After trying to understand the rules I prepared myself to play the first mission - cautious advance.

IMG_20171225_063229.jpg

I decided to replay Barbarossa, so the time is July 1941. My company is part of Army Group South.
The victory hex is on the other side of the board. I got a 9-2 when I rolled for leaders. My thoughts about the initial situation were that not much can go wrong.

IMG_20171225_075439.jpg

Enemy units on wooden hilltops were quickly eliminated by my mortar crews. My company swiftly cut through the soviet lines and I made good progress.

IMG_20171225_082456.jpg

IMG_20171225_090812.jpg

During my advance I even created a hero. After 3 or 4 turns I was in position for the final assault on the objective. Suddenly a T-35 appeared to defend the victory hex. My ATRs were in the rear but still I was confident to knock out the tank.

IMG_20171225_092021.jpg

To make things worse the Russians counterattacked. A human wave was coming my way. At this point lack of command control really made itself felt. I was unable to create a good defensive line.

IMG_20171225_092933.jpg

IMG_20171225_104359.jpg

The sniper had been silent the entire game - until now. Among all the units the sniper picked my 9-2 and sent a bullet through its head.

IMG_20171225_110037.jpg

A few melees later and almost half of my company was annihilated. In the meantime I was able to create 3 heroes but that didn't help me much. At this time I decided to end the mission and admit defeat. It was a very interesting experience with lots of suprises for me.

Last edited:

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Very nice! I'm hoping to get my own sasl adventure going soon.

Kijug

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
Great write up! I like playing SASL but haven't in a long time. And...I think you made the same mistake I was making for years. For Mission 1, Cautious Advance, the MAPBOARD ACTIVATION section reads:

MAPBOARD ACTIVATION: A maximum of two additional mapboards may be activated (one at a time) during play [EXC: as per MSR 2], but only along the (current) EBE. Make a dr whenever a non-broken FRIENDLY unit(s) enters a Locations <= 5 hexes from any whole hex of the potential mapboard. If the Final dr is > the unit's range to the nearest whole hex of the potential mapboard an additional map is activated {A8a}. There is a + 1 drm for each level of elevation the unit is above level 0. If the Final dr is <= the range there is no effect.

So as you near the EBE you most likely will be adding another board with additional S? counters placed--unless you got lucky and didn't have to activate any additional mapboards. What I learned is that you need to keep advancing on and on and on and gaining VP.

tunixx

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Great write up! I like playing SASL but haven't in a long time. And...I think you made the same mistake I was making for years. For Mission 1, Cautious Advance, the MAPBOARD ACTIVATION section reads:

MAPBOARD ACTIVATION: A maximum of two additional mapboards may be activated (one at a time) during play [EXC: as per MSR 2], but only along the (current) EBE. Make a dr whenever a non-broken FRIENDLY unit(s) enters a Locations <= 5 hexes from any whole hex of the potential mapboard. If the Final dr is > the unit's range to the nearest whole hex of the potential mapboard an additional map is activated {A8a}. There is a + 1 drm for each level of elevation the unit is above level 0. If the Final dr is <= the range there is no effect.

So as you near the EBE you most likely will be adding another board with additional S? counters placed--unless you got lucky and didn't have to activate any additional mapboards. What I learned is that you need to keep advancing on and on and on and gaining VP.
You are right, I missed the activation of the next mapboard. I started another mission afterwards and noticed a few more mistakes I made.

One rule that doesn't make any sense to me (and which I ignored) is that enemy units with a hold attitude can start to move towards you. In that case it would have meant a Russian unit leaves a fortified stone building and non assault moves across a runway for a DRM of -3, ouch !

ross

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One rule that doesn't make any sense to me (and which I ignored) is that enemy units with a hold attitude can start to move towards you. In that case it would have meant a Russian unit leaves a fortified stone building and non assault moves across a runway for a DRM of -3, ouch !
Automatic Action S6.312 would apply to that Russian Enemy unit. So they Fire if they have a Target; otherwise they stay put and do nothing.