Sandbox AAR: #002

Reaction score
In the second of a mirrored set of games, Scott took the role of defender. In our first game, Scott trounced me, as is expected in most games against him. In the second game I had hoped I could replicate the romp. It was not to be. However, I did save face and forced a 50/50 draw. I was quite please considering I have yet to defeat him.

We played on a small map of small but built up town. Scott likened it to an American assault on the Germans in Berlin. The Americans/Allies start on two adjoining sides of the map, with a height advantage. The Germans have a lot of buildings to defend, so critical choices need to be made early on how you will defend.

I loaded myself up with M-7s Priests and all the FOs I could afford. I proceeded to pummel the town, reducing one building at a time. What i hadn;y counted on was Scott minimizing his placement of units inside the buildings. Unlike me, he purchase numerous trenches, and set them up around the town. The result, just when I thought I had rendered his forces semi-conscious from the shelling, I started to move in. That was when I was rudely surprised by the return fire. I took a pounding, but kept a slow and steady approach.

For awhile it looked like I would never gain a secur foothold. In the later turns past the variable threshold, I started to take prisoners. The clincher was a lone M-7 bolted the wrong way and stopped amid several trenches filled with enemy troops. For two or three turns it was not fired on. I figured his troops were either out of ammo, or broken or routed. I had a glimmer of hope that I might pull it out.

Both games were exciting to play, even when I was losing. The shere carnage and destruction was unlike anything I have ever experienced playing this game. Just to be witness was enjoyable.

More details to follow, when I get some of the screen shots formatted.

Now, Scott and I are on to some mini scenarios i created, which I call Sprints. 400mx400m maps, 1000 base points per side.