Sand Box AAR #001

Reaction score
I just finished my first round in the Sand Box. My opponent John (screen name unknown) and I played Finns vs Soviets, in an all infantry scenario. I crafted a small map in Central Russia, with a dirt road crossing the northeast corner. Just east of the road, there is a small rise, with a cluster of buildings, which acted as a Soviet HQ. Due west of it, at a bend in the road, that swung down into a small depression, and flanked by trees was a second objective. Along the north edge of the map, a small objective was set at the road's exit point, as well as where it exited the map along the east edge.

The purpose of the scenario was to examine small unit probing. John wanted to try something with Finns. My motti map did not pan, and neither did his, so we went with this scenario. The timeframe was set in '44, 800 pt probe.

I was abel to assemble 4 companies of infantry, plus a company of peioneers. Each was accompanied by a Lahti ATG, a Lahti LMG, a 3 man PZ team (9 rds vs 5 rds), and a 81mm FO team. I thought pretty formidable. My restrictions were infantry only, while the Soviet defenders could outift any way they chose. The pointto try to cretae a light, fast moving, and hard hitting infantry unit. The ATs slowed me down abit, but not too bad.

I sent one platoon along the north flank, toward the northern exit, while another platoon flanked south toward the eastern exit flag. The two other infantry platoons headed up the middle. The pioneers went between the most southern two platoons, to move where most needed.

Along the norhtern and central routes I had to maneuver through some thick woods. About halfway to where i expected to find the main line of resistance, my lead squads encountered some light resistance. SO it seemed, at first. John had one squad that just would not go away, despite the maount of firepower I laid down. He successfully broke one squad, reduced another, and pinned an HQ and LMG. We were both imperssed by the unit's grit. As a result, I had to commit my pioneers to support the right flank of this pair of platoons.

I actually split the platoon, and sent half of it south, to cover the left flank of the far right platoon. That platoon had to navigate marsh and soft ground to approach the east exit, as well as the southern approaches to the main objective, the HQ. ALong that front I did not encounter any resistance until I was right on top of the objective. There was little cover close to the objective, so John had is troops behind it. I was very cautious after my initial encounter with his troops in the center. I could nto be sure whetehr he would advance to meet me, and hope to forestall my advance by throwing out speed bumps.

On my left flank, I hugged the map edge, as the best cover was there. I leapfrogged my units in classic fire and maneuver. Two squads would provie overwatch, while the other two moved forward. I continued this until my units hit the treeline overlooking the objective. During this I kept the ATG, the LMG, and the FO well back, as well as the HQ. The HQ and LMG would occassionally offer supporting fire, if their positioning permitted.

With the OB arty and LMG, I was able to push his units away from the bjective, and occupy the small woods there. His counterattack proved to be fierce, but my units held.

My forces facing his center were slowly being eroded away. It worked out, as I was able to draw his attantion while my units to my right of center were able to slowly sweep to the road. Once in position, I called in smoke on the road line and opposite trees, to aid my advance. Unfortunately, my fire was not that good, so the smoke was not as effective as I had hoped, though I did gain the far side of the road, but at higher casualties than anticipated.

To bolster this move, my far right forces were able to consolidate, and swing the gate closed on my opponent's left flank. My units were able to advance fairly unopposed, until within view of the HQ. By that time, my central line had all but disappeared, allowing his forces to swing left, and block me.

As this was developing, two squads which broke early, finally came around, but were slow to respond. By the time I was able to get them back into the battle, it was too little too late.

It was a bit disconcerting to look at the line of grey uniformed bodies clearly outlining my front lines, as well as dotting the landscape behind. I was unable to find too many enemy bodies. As I was to surmise later, it is because I did not appear to have eleiminated too many units, though I reduced many.

I was able to take and hold the two exit flags, but was unable to do anything but contest the two central ones. I hoped I might eke out a minimal victory, but I knew I had taken many casualties. With Extreme FOW it was impossible to accurately guage my opponent's loses. However, judging by my ability to continually move his line back, along my main line of approach, I knew i must have done some damage.

When the bugle called, I had a slight edge in a draw, at 51% Axis to 49% Allied. I could not have hoped for a better result. It was only one playing of a brand new scenario, but this particular playing indicated a near perfect match of opponents for the given parameters.

Several goals were achieved here. To focus on play, I was able to experiment with maneuver, smoke, and some support weapons without risk to ladder positioning. I made some mistakes, and made some good moves. Along the broad map, I did very well in maneuvering my forces as a whole. However, when hard pressed, I was unable to master my opponent in a head to head fire fight. The body covered battle field will attest to that.

John Powderly

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Your AAR sounds quite interesting. Is it possible to post a picture of the bare map? It would help me follow the action.

Reaction score
This image shows the basic map, with setup areas, objectives, and the key obstacles: wetlands.

http://www.embrown.com/cmbb/Finnish Road Probe 001.jpg

This image shows the intended advances of the 4 Finnish platoons, plus Pioneer elements.

http://www.embrown.com/cmbb/Finnish Road Probe 002.jpg

These two images show different views of the battlefield. Please note that the tree setting is at the lowest display, to indicate where the trees are, yet still allow a view of the varying terrain.

http://www.embrown.com/cmbb/Russian Road 001.jpg
http://www.embrown.com/cmbb/Russian Road 002.jpg
http://www.embrown.com/cmbb/Finnish%20Road%20Probe%20001.jpg
I tried to get the images to display, but no luck.

Last edited:

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Nice

Good work on the AAR Mike...keep up the effort I love the reading.:smoke:

Reaction score
It's been a long time since I posted here. Mt Carmel Hill and I have just completed game 1 of a mirrored set.

This was another Sandbox scenario. I created a small town, all large heavy buildings, ringed by hills of varying heights. Scott and I are playing this mirrored.

This was probably my worst loss ever. It is possibly one of the most fun games I played. Scott ringed the town with arty, and commenced to pound me. I had elected to use all of my defensive points on units only, no defensive works. I wanted to make sure I could maximize my defensive forces. I knew the town would be way to big to adequately defend with the forces available with 3000 points, without spending anything on defenses.

It was quite a spectacle watching building after building get blown to pieces. A number of buildings were already set ablaze, and a few already as rubble. So, between collapsing buildings, rising dust, smoke, and smoke rounds, it was a wonder we could see each other. (Screen shots to follow.)

Scott used the terrain quite well to bring up some Priests and Shermans that were able to get an angle on blasting a few buildings, while staying out of view from my guns and armor.

Scott slowly whittled my forces down, particularly my guns and armor, and MGs. Eventually, under cover of dust and smoke shells, he began advancing his infantry and picking off what remained of my infantry.

When all was said and done, it was a lot of fun, despite having my morale chopped down to 5%, before a ceasefire was declared. All my armor was KOd, and all my guns. I had only 5 troops unijured, with 351 injured, 105 KIA, and 120 captured. Scott had maybe 45 injured troops, and less than 10 KIA.

Looking forward to completing the mirror game.

Last edited:

Nemesis Lead

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's been a long time since I posted here. Mt Carmel Hill and I have just completed game 1 of a mirrored set.

This was another Sandbox scenario. I created a small town, all large heavy buildings, ringed by hills of varying heights. Scott and I are playing this mirrored.

This was probably my worst loss ever. It is possibly one of the most fun games I played. Scott ringed the town with arty, and commenced to pound me. I had elected to use all of my defensive points on units only, no defensive works. I wanted to make sure I could maximize my defensive forces. I knew the town would be way to big to adequately defend with the forces available with 3000 points, without spending anything on defenses.

It was quite a spectacle watching building after building get blown to pieces. A number of buildings were already set ablaze, and a few already as rubble. So, between collapsing buildings, rising dust, smoke, and smoke rounds, it was a wonder we could see each other. (Screen shots to follow.)

Scott used the terrain quite well to bring up some Priests and Shermans that were able to get an angle on blasting a few buildings, while staying out of view from my guns and armor.

Scott slowly whittled my forces down, particularly my guns and armor, and MGs. Eventually, under cover of dust and smoke shells, he began advancing his infantry and picking off what remained of my infantry.

When all was said and done, it was a lot of fun, despite having my morale chopped down to 5%, before a ceasefire was declared. All my armor was KOd, and all my guns. I had only 5 troops unijured, with 351 injured, 105 KIA, and 120 captured. Scott had maybe 45 injured troops, and less than 10 KIA.

Looking forward to completing the mirror game.
Dont know if you defended the outside of the town or defended further in.

Unless I have serious fire superiority, I will defend the inside of the town.

It appears I have trained Scott well.....perhaps too well! :paperbag:

Reaction score
With some exceptions, most of my defenders were deep in the town, rather than around the outskirts. I had, what I thought were, good fire lanes. However, they weren't good enough. He didn't attack along the routes I expected him to.

mangus2000

Reaction score
Country
ll
With some exceptions, most of my defenders were deep in the town, rather than around the outskirts. I had, what I thought were, good fire lanes. However, they weren't good enough. He didn't attack along the routes I expected him to.
Aint that always the way, you spend ages on a great defense and then they bugger it up by doing something you didn't expect:rolleyes:

So whens the next Sand box going ahead? they make for good reading.

Reaction score
The point for the sandbox is to experiment. So, I tried a different kind of defense. If I were to play this scenario on the defensive, I would likely try something completely different.

The mirror is in process now. Taking a cue from Scott, I am trying a tack I have not used before. I can talk about it, because I think it is now clear to him what I have been doing. First, I realize rubble is the defenders friend. However, a building collapsing around one's ears is not conducive to unit integrity. I am leveling the town with arty. Once the dust settles, I will then determine how best to approach the town, depending on what I see, and where I see it.