Sam Belcher has passed away

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
I just saw on Facebook that Sam Belcher has passed away.

This is very sad, he was a true ambassador for the game and a great human being.

I will miss seeing him at this occasional ASLOK visit.

Rest in Peace Sam.

Peace

Roger

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
I just saw on Facebook that Sam Belcher has passed away.

This is very sad, he was a true ambassador for the game and a great human being.

I will miss seeing him at this occasional ASLOK visit.

Rest in Peace Sam.

Peace

Roger
Totally agree Roger, I had Sam as a subscriber early on and it was always a pleasure dealing with him.

This hits home as I am 66 now and know we will see more passings as time goes on.

I hope Sam is rolling Snake Eyes or designing scenarios wherever he may be now, he will be missed, for sure, Vic.😢

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I chatted with Sam at some of my early ASLOKs. He was always such a kind and friendly person. I didn't know him well, but he was someone you could start talking to like you knew him for years. His passing is a sober reminder to me to treat people with kindness and enjoy every day we have on this earth. My prayers and condolences to his family and friends.

dreenstra

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sad news... Sam was a pillar of the ASL community. I always enjoyed reading what he posted. My one chance to play him at WO one year brought back my appreciation for the game as his enthusiasm was always infectious. He lived the role of "everyman player", never really focused so much on winning as on having a good time over the board, and making sure his opponent enjoyed the experience as well. He will be missed by many, myself included.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I thought I recalled seeing Sam's name in one of my notebooks for Oktoberfest, specifically the theme tournament minis. I found the notebook but he wasn't listed there. It might have been in a box with a bunch of old PIS sheets but they are in the attic and it's sweltering in there.

Regardless it's sad to hear of his passing. The many kind thoughts expressed here and in the ASL Bell Tolls thread are a testament to what a fine person and gamer he was.

To his family and friends my most deepfelt condolences. I understand he made dice towers. For those fortunate enough to have one of his I'm sure he will be remembered fondly when it is used.

RIP Sam and say hello to Fish and the rest of our departed brethren up there. 😥

jtsjc1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I didn't know Sam but from what I read he was a good guy. Its a shame when anyone from the community passes on but he'd be glad to see all the good memories guys have of him. Rest In Peace Sam.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Always tried to get a game with Sam every time I was at Enfilade in Olympia every Memorial Day weekend. I will miss him.
The last time I saw him was 2019, he was having circulation problems in his foot, having to keep it elevated.
Play on Sam, Fish has an opening at his table.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sam was the sort of person you'd throw out as an example of why the ASL community was such a good gaming community. I can't think of a single bad word to say of him. I met him within months of getting into ASL and it was always a pleasure to see or play him. I will miss him an awful lot.