SaF Manila CGIII.1 Japanese Reinforcements and CG21 "West edge"

Eric Shipley

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Reinforcements enter along the north/WEST edge(s)." The West edge is Manila Bay without any land hexes.

In a related issue CG12 Japanese Offboard Observers are in a WEST edge hex.

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can't answer the first question, but in general Offboard Observers can be in water Obstacles. They are likely on the other side of the bay.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Japanese RG's entering west edge set up along the Manila Bay shoreline and move inland from there, since units cannot enter a water obstacle except via conveyance. Japanese did have troops aboard the partially sunken ships in Manila Bay and allowing their observers to be on the west edge simulates this. US naval craft eventually eliminated those threats.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Japanese RG's entering west edge set up along the Manila Bay shoreline and move inland from there, since units cannot enter a water obstacle except via conveyance. Japanese did have troops aboard the partially sunken ships in Manila Bay and allowing their observers to be on the west edge simulates this. US naval craft eventually eliminated those threats.
Are the observers treated like the infantry? That is, they trace from the west shoreline. I mean, you are tracing 40+ hexes before you even hit the shore from the west edge...that's 8 potential blind hexes before you even get to a target hex on land. I've traced some and, for Phase-1, you can't see much of anything because you got 8-10 blind hexes before you even count the obstacle height.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are the observers treated like the infantry? That is, they trace from the west shoreline. I mean, you are tracing 40+ hexes before you even hit the shore from the west edge...that's 8 potential blind hexes before you even get to a target hex on land. I've traced some and, for Phase-1, you can't see much of anything because you got 8-10 blind hexes before you even count the obstacle height.
Yes, off board observers use the shoreline hexes just like the infantry. In reality they were onboard some of the sunken ships out in the bay, but for "game" sake they set up along the shore.