Saddam and Chirac "close personal friends"

kid kool

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
http://www.stratfor.com/corporate/static_index.neo?page=usiraq

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_021903/content/truth_detector.guest.html

Explosive Report: Jacques Chirac & Saddam Hussein Are Longtime Friends & Allies

February 19, 2003

On Tuesday night, I came across some explosive news about Jacques Chirac and Saddam Hussein on Stratfor.com. The news comes from the days when Chirac was mayor of Paris and the French premier, when he cultivated this outrageous personal relationship with Saddam Hussein. Three stories on this have come out, now. As the New York Times put it in 1986: "Chirac has said many times that he is a personal friend of Saddam Hussein."

It's almost as if someone is angry with Chirac, so they're releasing the truth about the French PM and the man in Baghdad he calls "my dear friend." It may well be one of these European countries that he scolded, insulted and threatened in his tantrum the other day. Bulgaria has compared France's "bully tactics" to those of the USSR. Chirac is acting irrationally, and there has to be more about this here than geopolitics or Bush hate.

These stories back up what I've been telling you lately: Chirac is blocking the liberation of Iraq because he doesn't want us to find out how much he personally - not France, but he - helped Hussein build WMDs. We already knew that they helped Saddam build that nuclear reactor which the Israelis took out in 1981. Now we have this letter from 1987, in which Chirac speaks in clouded language about helping Saddam rebuild that reactor and get weapons-grade uranium. You have to hear me read the details of all this in the audio link below.

There's More to It Than France Violating the Arms & Trade Embargos

Stratfor.com reports that what Chirac called his "close, personal relationship" with Saddam dates back to late 1974, when Chirac traveled to Baghdad and met the #2 man in Iraq: Vice President Hussein. During that visit, their main negotiation issue was Iraq's purchasing of nuclear reactors. In September 1975, Chirac personally took Saddam on a tour of a French nuclear plant. He expressed his desire to help Iraq with its nuclear program, and "the Iraqis bought a 70-megawatt reactor along with six charges of 26 points of uranium enriched to 93%." That's enough weapons-grade uranium to produce three to four nuclear devices.

Baghdad also purchased a one-megawatt "research reactor," and France agreed to train 600 Iraqi nuclear technicians and scientists. France also agreed to sell $1.5 billion worth of weapons to Iraq - for which they got a lucrative oil contract. In 1987, the Manchester Guardian Weekly quoted Chirac as saying that he was "truly fascinated" by Hussein.

This was Chirac's doing, on his own and separate from France's government. Former French President Valerie Giscard D'Estaing said exactly that in 1994. When President D'Estaing found out about this deal, he kyboshed it. In preparation for the 1988 presidential campaign, Chirac claimed he had nothing to do with that reactor destroyed in 1981. This gets Clintonesque! In August of 1987, French magazine Le Canard en Chain published excerpts of a letter from Chirac to Hussein. The magazine writes that the letter "speaks of the cooperation launched more than 12 years ago...for the sovereignty, independence and security of your country." This is amazing stuff - and it may just be the tip of the iceberg.

It's almost as though Iraq is France's #1 trading partner for oil and weapons. Chirac knows these Inspector Clouseaus will never uncover any evidence of his personal hand in arming Saddam, which is why he wants them given endless amounts of time. If Chirac was involved with that reactor and trying to get 93% enriched uranium to Saddam, then there's evidence to prove it, which we'll find if we invade. This is one of the things he's obviously trying to hide. The so-called idea that "it's just the French and they're pacifists" or trying to seek power at the EU may be true, but it doesn't explain this irrational behavior and the temper tantrums by Chirac - this news does

Reaction score
rushlimbaugh.com? I"m not an expert on US political commentators, but I don't think Mr. Limbaugh is highly respected as an objective source of information. :hmmm:

If France has political ties to Iraq, then that just makes them no different from any other world power. They've all supported totalitarian regimes at some point or another. France isn't an exception, nor is the USA an exception.

kid kool

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Martin Schenkel
rushlimbaugh.com? I"m not an expert on US political commentators, but I don't think Mr. Limbaugh is highly respected as an objective source of information. :hmmm:

If France has political ties to Iraq, then that just makes them no different from any other world power. They've all supported totalitarian regimes at some point or another. France isn't an exception, nor is the USA an exception.
The original source was stratfor.com, but i could not post that because you have to subscribe to read their articles. The real story is not whether France had political ties to Iraq, but Chirac's involvement with Iraq's nuclear reactor and personal friendship with Hussein.

Kraut

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I don't think that the fact that Chirac called Saddam a friend back in the 80's is that important, politics are quick at calling somebody their friend to demonstrate the good relationships. And back in the 80's Saddam was still the 'good guy' he was also USAs friend. I remember seeing a photo with Rumsfeld and Saddam were they had some relaxed talk back in the 80's. Things change.

Rooster

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I seem to remember Saddam shaking hands with Rumsfeld in the 80's as well as Ronald Regan accpeting a gift... Our backyard not that clean either..

Same type of thing in Afghanistan too during Afghan war against USSR... Once again got bit...

I do not condone Saddam for that matter I do not care him and his regime, at the same time I do not agree with the Saudi's regime either... I believe that war will happen and is deserved, and a democratic government in this area will be a huge thorn in the region.

Deltapooh

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Saddam made himself quite appealing to the early on in his dictatorship. He adopted a more moderate approach to Islam. The US and many other countries who were concerned with the growing Islamic fundamentalism were quick to rally behind Saddam. Most countries quickly realized he was a brute and withdrew.

Up until 9/11, the US had a very confusing policy toward Iraq. We wanted to see a regime change, but were reluctant to do so directly. No one wanted to risk becoming entangled in the Post Saddam political chaos.

At the same rate, I think the reluctance had something to do with stability. No matter how horrible Saddam is, he has brought decades of relative stability to the country of Iraq. The United States fears instability in the Middle East, and more often than not will tolerate government behavior we probably would not elsewhere.

I believe the Clinton Administration was the first to decide Saddam might need to go even if it required a more unilateral military action. The US began building military bases in several areas in the region a few years back. In fact, the first sign that Bush was planning something big came when base construction accelerated as early as January 2002.

So Bush Jr, is the first President to actually commit to removing Saddam. However, I think the US and UK probably viewed regime change by force as almost inevitable.

Marko

Reaction score
Country
ll
I have also read of the various high ranking government officials in the US and their respective freinds in rogue states. I do not think anyone is exempt from have bad friends when it comes to politics.

Tzar

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
kidkool,

Chirac's "friendship" with Hussein was interrupted in 1990 with the invasion of Kuwait. This is 13 years old, and it is irrelevant to France's position in the current crisis. France's economic interests in Iraq explain a lot better France's position than a supposed secret friendship of Chirac with Hussein.

A lot of people used to be close to Saddam Hussein, and that includes quite a few American senior government officials.

As other people say, Rumsfeld used to be a happy friend of Saddam when Washington was providing the Iraqi dictator with the necessary equipment to produce and develop WMDs during the Iran-Iraq war. There's quite a few photos to prove that. If you want to find "dirty secrets", you might want to look this way also. In truth, there is not many Western countries that did not have, at one point or another, a cozy relationship with Bagdad's tyran.

In any case, Rumsfeld's relation with Saddam is as irrelevant to today's situation than Chirac's relation to Saddam. The 70s and 80s were a completely different era.

Marko

Reaction score
Country
ll
Originally posted by Tzar
kidkool,

Chirac's "friendship" with Hussein was interrupted in 1990 with the invasion of Kuwait. This is 13 years old, and it is irrelevant to France's position in the current crisis. France's economic interests in Iraq explain a lot better France's position than a supposed secret friendship of Chirac with Hussein.

A lot of people used to be close to Saddam Hussein, and that includes quite a few American senior government officials.

As other people say, Rumsfeld used to be a happy friend of Saddam when Washington was providing the Iraqi dictator with the necessary equipment to produce and develop WMDs during the Iran-Iraq war. There's quite a few photos to prove that. If you want to find "dirty secrets", you might want to look this way also. In truth, there is not many Western countries that did not have, at one point or another, a cozy relationship with Bagdad's tyran.

In any case, Rumsfeld's relation with Saddam is as irrelevant to today's situation than Chirac's relation to Saddam. The 70s and 80s were a completely different era.
I reckon Rumsfeld is still on his payroll. Now that is irony isn't it....Rumsfeld the defence secretary...the very man who met with saddam and sorted out the US aid in the Iraq/Iran war...lol.

Headshot

Reaction score
there was a time when saddamns gassing of the kurds was ignored by the U.S. goverment, thats how close they were. chirac has many points that can be picked apart, and this is an argument that helps, but isnt the reason that he is holding out.

Marko

Reaction score
Country
ll
Originally posted by Headshot
there was a time when saddamns gassing of the kurds was ignored by the U.S. goverment, thats how close they were. chirac has many points that can be picked apart, and this is an argument that helps, but isnt the reason that he is holding out.
I think he is doing it simply to be awkward. I can't wait for the day when Chirac is ousted and is subsequently arrested for corruption and sent to do hard time in a French Prison. He is an embarrassment to the French people.

Headshot

Reaction score
Bush is embarising to the American people, but due to the stratagamatics of democracy, it slightly illegal to just do that to a pres.

Marko

Reaction score
Country
ll
Originally posted by Headshot
Bush is embarising to the American people, but due to the stratagamatics of democracy, it slightly illegal to just do that to a pres.
Shame...as Bush would be first on my list to get a pistol whipping...LOL :p