Sad News about our friend Jim Mcleod

A/CSM Bird

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It with great sadness that I return to these forums after a long hiatus to report the passing of Jim Mcleod. Jim was found dead at work yesterday afternoon. Details are slim at this time and I'll report with more info as I receive it.

Funeral plans, for those who can attend, will be posted.

I'll return shortly after I make some calls to our local club and the Canadian ASLers I'm in contact with.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Sad News

It with great sadness that I return to these forums after a long hiatus to report the passing of Jim Mcleod. Jim was found dead at work yesterday afternoon. Details are slim at this time and I'll report with more info as I receive it.

I'll return shortly after I make some calls to our local club and the Canadian ASLers I'm in contact with.
Man, that sux.

Rest in Peace Jimmie Mac.

Doc P

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

That is just awful news.
I have fond memories of great conversations with Jim

Brien Martin

Panthera oncia
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Our thoughts and condolences go out to Jim's family and friends at his passing.

Brien, Donna, and Courtney Martin

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States

Condolences to Jim's family and friends. I have known Jim about 15 or so years and he was a good man. The South Dakota ASL community will miss him greatly.

aslbunker.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Hello Bill, Vic Provost here, just horrible, horrible news, the ASL
Community in Canada, and us ASLers world-wide world wide have
lost a dedicated player and good guy. My thoughts and prayers
go out to his family. Bummed out in Massachusetts, Vic.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States

One of the reasons to attend the Canadian Open last year was a chance to reconnect with you and others in Canada. I really hoped to see Jim there as it had been a long time.

Keep us posted, Bill. This plus the awful weather you've got really makes the whole thing depressing for his family and friends. RIP, Jim.

Ray

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada

Very sad!
I send my condolences to his family and friends, I didn't know Jim personally, but I know he'll be missed.

WBRP

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

He leaves a long trail of happy memories throughout the ASL community.

Damn...just..damn.

Last edited:

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

That is terrible news.

Jim was a great guy and will be greatly missed.

Brad Knoll

Eagerly awaiting UF 2000
Reaction score
Country
llCanada

Some of the best memories I have from CASLO tournaments in Winnipeg is hanging out with Jim including drinking too much on the Saturday nights after the day's games were finished. He was a really great person to know and I am very sad about his loss.

Last edited:

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada

Bill,

Just wanted to give you some quick thanks for the prompt, polite word you gave everyone on the CASLA mailing list. I really appreciate you letting us know.

Everyone,

All the best to the McLeod family and all of his friends, both in Winnipeg or otherwise, ASL-playing or otherwise. Jim was (and is) a true leader in the Canadian ASL scene for a long, long time and is much appreciated. A really great, committed guy who has done a lot for the game up here. He will be missed, and gives us all a strong example to follow.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada

Jim and Judy McLeod were a model of the perfect couple. I know it is common to speak well of those who have passed but in the case of Jim McLeod those who never knew him truly missed out. I had the privilege of staying with the McLeod’s on more than one visit to the CASLO over the years. Jim was the picture of the loving, patient and compassionate father. He absolutely adores his wife and his children and was having so much fun with them as they were growing into their teens.

Jim and Judy welcomed all to their home and practiced all those Christian virtues that we read so much about but so seldom see. Jim was a gentleman, a fine sportsman and my friend. Even after a hot discussion online over our game and the flames that sometimes occurred from others you would often see Jim shrug and smile, never holding a grudge or having harsh words, “Its just the game”, he would say. He would still drink a beer with his worst detractors.

I cannot imagine the pain that Judy and the kids are experiencing at this moment. Whenever I saw her at an event or before a game in Jim’s basement she would smile at us, pat Jim on the head, kiss him good-bye, “Have fun dear.” My heart is broken.

He was too young and too fine a man for such a fate.

Pardon.

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I am stunned and saddened by this news.

I had the absolute pleasure of playing Jim once at the ASL Open, in a tightly wound game of "Death at Carentan".

On my bucket list was to sit next to Jim on a cold Manitoba night and look at the stars after a hearty venison meal and a quality whiskey and some rousing ASL. Alas, a scene that will never take place...

Farewell and RIP to a great ASLer.

Please pass on the Taylor condolences to his family. They will be in our prayers.

JT

Last edited:

Tom Morin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

To all,

This is very shocking news indeed, my heart is heavy with sadness. What an absolutely classy guy Jim was. My condolences go out to his family and friends. He will be sorely missed.

Bill, if there is anything that we can do for his family, please let us know.

Such a shame that he'll never get to see his 'Ortona' HASL get published. I know he was so looking foward to seeing it after years of laboring on its playtest and development. Jim and I used to trade emails occasionally, chatting about the trials and tribulations of designing and playtesting a HASL. Jim would always send me a shout of encouragement when the going got tough trying to get VotG finished.

I fondly recall a fun time, circa 1995(?) down at Avaloncon in Hunt Valley, sitting in the bar after a late night of ASL. We were downing beers with Jim, Bill Bird and the gang, listening to many great stories. Shouts of beer soaked "Banzai!" were heard more than once (I think that was mostly Bill Bird and Ralph McDonald responsible for those). Got to see the Ortona map there, and it was beautiful to behold, and we were so excited about the future of our game designs.

We'll be sure to raise our glasses high at the Noreaster this coming March 2009, to salute the memory of our fallen ASL comrade. Gone but never forgotten.

Sigh.

Tom