Sad and angry About VASL 6.5.0

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yikes. That's way more integral than I would have expected. Is that because wrecks have to be associated to source vehicles via their menu location?
Wrecks use the "replace counter" trait. VASL, well VASSAL actually, records this starting at the Allied/Axis tab level. Change the name, and all vehicles will be replaced with the first counter under that tab. For the Allies that would be a Russian concealment counter. But you don't have to check me on this, VASSAL will do what it wants. Sometimes what I want agrees :)

Last edited:

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Flavius Magnus Maximus Augustus II
Country
llSweden
I still say leave the VASL tabs as they are, it makes no difference.
Although I am very confused in regards to the SAN warnings when I play Korea, and although I find it historically incorrect seeing the Swedish Volunteers being "Axis", I totally agree. It is a game, leave it a game.

Moreover, and to be a little less politically correct than von Marwitz, if the request comes from one of the least liberal and worst dictatorships in the world, "screw them". And this has nothing to do with the present times, I will be politically incorrect against any dictatorial countries/individuals at any time, thank you very much.

I just remembered that all postings on Gamesquad have to be relevant to ASL. Therefore I think it is important to point out that Communist Russian Commissars REDUCE squads that do not listen to them, as do the ones from Communist North Korea. However, in a kind Nixon'esk gesture towards Communist China, CPVA Politically Officers do NOT REDUCE squads that do not listen to them. On the other hand, they were not very effective either (only a +2 instead of a +4).

Phillip

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd like to add one more vote for separating non-WWII forces into a third tab. It seems to be worth it in order to NOT cause someone personal distress (whether the rest of us understand/agree with the reasoning behind it is irrelevant) and I'm all in favor of this game being as inclusive as possible.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I'd like to add one more vote for separating non-WWII forces into a third tab. It seems to be worth it in order to NOT cause someone personal distress (whether the rest of us understand/agree with the reasoning behind it is irrelevant) and I'm all in favor of this game being as inclusive as possible.
Seems odd to suggest the second least accessible game in history lacks inclusivity. Once you make it through the rule book, find your way onto VASL, and get involved to the point you're playing Forgotten War, the legacy naming of the tabs is not going to suddenly make you put the brakes on your commitment to date.

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I still would like to know what´s funny and/ or stupid about the FW rules...
I didn´t laugh whilst reading them.... so it seems to me they are not funny :(
Now i´m looking for the stupid part. Maybe Mr. Wang can help me on that, if he is still with us?

T34

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Country
llFrance
Would it be impossible to have three tabs? Axis, Allies, Comintern? I get confused when playing Winter War scenarios. Better yet, make a whole new VASL file for FW so you don't clutter up stuff for those of us who like to play real ASL. /snark

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Not being a VASL user, what do you do in a 3 sided fight?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Could be, Peter.

But the guy to the right is supposedly Conny Andersson, a Swede who fought in Finland and later was a driving force behind establishing the "Norgebataljonen", a force established in 1945. Norgebataljonen never saw any action as the Germans in Norway managed to surrender first.
View attachment 12885

Here is another picture of Conny. Same man? I cannot tell.

View attachment 12884
If you ask me the guy on the bottom looks like Pee Wee Herman. (Just say'n):giggle::giggle:

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Speaking of, WTF is up with Russian vehicles in VASL? No T26s, BTs... How do you play early war Russians without these?
They are there. Sometimes, you have to move the vertical bars to see the types. The BT's and T26 are on the Lt tab. -- jim

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Everybody uses the same, "password" I thought!
I didn't use any for the longest time. Then I ran into someone else who didn't use one and I could see all his HIP units. HIP and Concealment are tied to your password, not your username. -- jim

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
I didn't use any for the longest time. Then I ran into someone else who didn't use one and I could see all his HIP units. HIP and Concealment are tied to your password, not your username. -- jim
Strange but true. I discovered this when I changed my password for some reason and lost everything in my in-progress games.