Sad and angry About VASL 6.5.0

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't think that's true. With Italians vs Italians, it's pretty easy to say which side is aligned with the Axis powers and which side is aligned against them. With Chinese Civil War, that isn't the case, since both sides were fighting the Japanese (and we have the scenarios to prove it!).

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
I don't think that's true. With Italians vs Italians, it's pretty easy to say which side is aligned with the Axis powers and which side is aligned against them. With Chinese Civil War, that isn't the case, since both sides were fighting the Japanese (and we have the scenarios to prove it!).
No, it's definitely the same answer: "Pick, shut up and play."

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I don't think that's true. With Italians vs Italians, it's pretty easy to say which side is aligned with the Axis powers and which side is aligned against them.
Mostly correct. Though there were also a number of unaffiliated partisan groups in the north fighting for their own purposes, I just don't know if it ever turned into open warfare of the kind you could simulate in ASL. There were communists, monarchists, republicans, fascists etc.

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Will the counters for FW be implemented via an (optional) extension? A third tab sounds like a reasonable solution to me, but since I don't intend to play FW, I'll probably just not download the relevant extension and have a bit less clutter...

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Will the counters for FW be implemented via an (optional) extension? A third tab sounds like a reasonable solution to me, but since I don't intend to play FW, I'll probably just not download the relevant extension and have a bit less clutter...
Nice idea, but they're already in base VASL.

Brave Lion

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Many years ago (when my VASSAL/VASL worked), I tried to reorganize the country tray in order to account for this very problem. What I did was to separate the OoB tabs from the system counter tabs by a scrollable list. The WW2 forces were in Axis and Allied tabs under WWII OB. Non-WWII conflicts could then be added to the scrollable lists via extensions with their own appropriately named tabs for the opposing forces. I called it dial-a-war. The WWII OB would always be on top of the list since it was included in the base module. Players could add, or subtract, Conflict OB's as they saw fit for non-WWII conflicts. For example, the KW Conflict OB would have tabs for Communist and UN forces. A Spanish Civil War Conflict OB would have tabs for Nationalist and Republican forces. The various Arab-Isreali Wars would have tabs for the Arabs and Isreali forces, and additionally they can be time specific for the '48, '56, '67, '73, '82, etc. conflicts. No matter which war was selected the basic system counters would always be available. I would suggest renaming the Axis/Allied Sniper/ELR/etc boxes to Attacker/Defender instead. This way all forces are named correctly regardless of conflict. Just my $.02.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Separating the flyshit from the pepper has always been a challenge to me.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just merge the two tabs and call it nationalities. Then scroll down an alpha list.

Some who changed sides:
  1. Russians allied with the Germans in '39 and did not break treaty with Japan until '45.
  2. Finns fought the German ally (see #1), then fought with Germany, and then fought against Germany.
  3. French
  4. Italians
  5. Bulgarians
  6. Romanians
Other than the Germans, Brits, US, and Japan, the rest have at least some fluidity .