Sad and angry About VASL 6.5.0

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hm, I have found a reference from the Swedish military historian Lars Gyllenhaal who claims that around 300 Swedes fought on the side of Norway/Britain in Norway in May 1940. The same author claims that the number of Swedes later fighting in Waffen SS was around 200, compared to the 8'000 in Finland 1939.

The picture is from Finland, where some Swedes pose on a Russian tank.

View attachment 12883
Why is there caulk/paint on the photo around the guy on the left? Looks like it’s obscuring some kinda weapon. Maybe he is saying. ‘Here’s a picture of us in Finland but can’t show you the guns because we sure (nudge/wink) ain’t fighting the Russians.’ Looks like some kind of bazooka, maybe the one that blew up this tank. Military censors?

Last edited:

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Quite possible that the original photo stuck to the back of another and the surface tore when they were separated?

benj

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Strange but true. I discovered this when I changed my password for some reason and lost everything in my in-progress games.
I think that they are somewhat crypted using your password so that your opponent may not open the log file with a text editor and see hidden information. So if you change your password, you cannot uncrypt stuff.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
I think that they are somewhat crypted using your password so that your opponent may not open the log file with a text editor and see hidden information. So if you change your password, you cannot uncrypt stuff.
As opposed to your user ID, because that would be known? Interesting. That makes sense. Thanks!

It's pathetic to imagine someone cheating at ASL, but I get why you'd program it that way.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I think that is not only about cheating.
Being prevented from seeing the contents of the concealed stack of my opponent by hovering my mouse over it is really useful.
It would quite easy to have such involuntary accident, especially with a high density of opposing units.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Being prevented from seeing the contents of the concealed stack of my opponent by hovering my mouse over it is really useful.
It would quite easy to have such involuntary accident, especially with a high density of opposing units.
Sure, but that could be secured by User ID, not password. You're still logged in as you, not your opponent. The question is why password, not why some security.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Actually, there is no way to avoid it - for example if opposing stacks occupy different levels of the same hex in a multi-level building.

von Marwitz

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I think that the feature has existed for the beginning.
I don't know why it suddenly would become a problem now.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Sure, but that could be secured by User ID, not password. You're still logged in as you, not your opponent. The question is why password, not why some security.
Well, we log in here with an ID and PW.
It seems rather current a way to log in.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
There is another reason to do it by password. If you're playing team ASL, you coordinate passwords and each side can see all thrir units concealed and hidden.
Oh, that's clever.

And guys I wasn't suggesting changing anything or that it was a problem, just pondering a curiosity.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
It had to be some secret. They could have implemented some fancy PKI or PGP type thingy which would be super secure. Or they could use your password which is easy to implement.

If you lose your password: There is a file on your PC. For me it is in C:\Users\jim\AppData\Roaming\VASSAL\prefs. The file is called VASL. It is a text file you can open with Notepad. Inside there, there is a key called SecretName. After the "=" is your password. This must be somehow encoded into the save file but I have never looked. I am sure it is there based on the way VASL works. Even if I knew how, I wouldn't post it publicly as everyone would think I were cheating :) -- jim

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
It had to be some secret. They could have implemented some fancy PKI or PGP type thingy which would be super secure. Or they could use your password which is easy to implement.

If you lose your password: There is a file on your PC. For me it is in C:\Users\jim\AppData\Roaming\VASSAL\prefs. The file is called VASL. It is a text file you can open with Notepad. Inside there, there is a key called SecretName. After the "=" is your password. This must be somehow encoded into the save file but I have never looked. I am sure it is there based on the way VASL works. Even if I knew how, I wouldn't post it publicly as everyone would think I were cheating :) -- jim
Poppycock. No one who's seen how you roll would ever think you were cheating.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Poppycock. No one who's seen how you roll would ever think you were cheating.
Here's the thing: when everyone was so uptight about the VASL dicebot and went to random.org thing, I sent a proof of concept to show I could manipulate the whole thing to get any DR I wanted, at any time. I also intercepted the statistics and made sure I output information consistent with what I rolled. I could have gone further and made sure that if I was rolling a Weather Check, a PTC, or non-substantive things like that, I could use those DR's to flatten out my perceived biases. As long as the code is freely available, anyone could do this with a little know how. You either trust your opponent is playing fair, or you don't. :) -- jim

PS: clearly, given the losses I have taken over the years, I never used this :) I don't even have the code anymore.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It's dead easy to influence the VASL dicebot. Just open upa second life acount, take her out for a little dinner, dancing, nice wine...then watch your opponents suffer as she relentlessly favours you and destroys them!

Hovned31

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If one is playing a Chinese Civil War scenario who are the Axis and who are the Allies?