S9 - Ambitious Assault as the Allies

GerryM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi: Not sure how to win this. The Amis and Brits have to ensure there are no unbroken Italian MMCs within 7 hexes of a hex in the middle of the board. Brits enter only on Turn 4 of 6. If the Italians spread out, how can they be rounded up so to say in 6 turns? Thanks.

trailrunner

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's been a while since I played that one, but according to the ROAR database, that's an imbalanced scenario. Italians have won 66 times, and allies have won only 17 times.

kempenfelter

Motivational Speaker
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The scenario certainly seemed unbalanced the last time I tried it. As the Allies I managed to lose 1 1/2 squads and malfunction and then eliminate the MMG by Turn 2. The Italians on the other hand passed every Morale Check thrown their way. When you look at the scenario card, it doesn't look like that can happen. The Italians are in Stone Buildings, sure, but their morale is 6 and ELR is 1. They should all be Broken Conscript Half Squads by Turn 3.

We played it to the end though we could have called it before the 50th Infantry Division entered. Eventually the 206th Coastal Defense Division started to crumble as expected but the outcome was never in doubt. The next time I play this the Allies get the Balance.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I've played this 2x....
  1. My first blowout loss as the Allies was because I didn't keep everyone together systematically.
  2. The allies need to come in on Turn 3...otherwise they can't even reach most of the Italians if they "got lucky" with the Americans.
3. I don't do this much..but you HAVE to stack the 9-2 with full load of 747s and the MMG...TO break the HMG and MMG of the Italians...

Singular minded approach...You can fire at max range and maintain position in a stone building having the "upper Hand" on the Italians...They move or they break soon...

Try that first and pressure the Italians. Once the "big guns" are down...its a cleanup situation for the most part...
GOOD LUCK

TheSQLGuru

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree with Stewart on all counts. The Allies have basically ZERO chance in this one if the reinforcements don't enter on turn 3. And you sadly MUST get that long-range 9-2 led 12 shot with 3X 747s and MMG and hope for an ROF or two in the first couple of turns to help you take down the Italian HMG and MMG. I would also keep the 8-0 back behind the 9-2 to rally any units that break in the mini-kill stack. Stick-and-move carefully with the 9-1 and 3 other MMC, always trying for a 8FP advance fire shot on stone or a 4+1 and 4+2 on wood buildings (and hope that the 337 holds up as he plays "shot magnet"). :)