S48 Converging Assaults

Nineteen Kilo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Three of us got together this last weekend and had a short amount of time to squeeze in a game of 2 1/2 hours. I had selected starter kit scenario S48 Converging Assaults due to it having three clear forces, with no special rules, a couple of days prior to us getting together.

When we laid out Board "r" and looked at the setups and the VC, we quickly came to the conclusion the Americans had no chance as all the Italians had to do was have "one Good Order squad in any building hex".

The above meant that the Italian infantry had to advance a grand total of 3 hexes to get to an unoccupied stone building hex and then stop their "assault" on the American positions, who were on/east of hexrow M - some 13 hexes in the distance. Effectively the American Defense is turned into an American Offense by necessity.

Was there something we weren't seeing or understanding? I kept thinking "There must be an errata that the building hex needed for the VC needs to be in the American set up area." Has anyone played this scenario? Was it balanced?

BTW after arguing over the scenario VC for about 15 minutes we just decided to give up on the whole idea and went to lunch instead.

Kev

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
A 10-3 leader makes a world of difference. Although the Italians move first, they are not really attacking. They are fighting for honor, and are already boxed into a corner. The 37LL keeps the Italian tanks from getting into good positions for defense while the American devil squads punch 3-4-6s with devastating firepower. As much as possible the Americans should use their range advantage. The 37LL will probably have probably have to be pushed at some point. Once Italian squads break they are going to be difficult to bring back, especially once the Americans are able to fire on hexes further back. If the defender is not careful, the Italian tanks once killed can be more useful to the Americans as cover/hindrances than they are to the Italians while alive. The Italians need to be very careful with how they position the tanks.

JR

Last edited:

Nineteen Kilo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"All in all, I would say this scenario is pretty balanced despite looking really unfair on first glance, but it is also really really frustrating to play for both sides. The US player is confronted with a victory condition that’ demands of him to be everywhere at once, and that can be prevented by a single bad die roll on the last turn. On the other hand, the Italian player can’t do much except hoping for some good morale rolls buying him time, because of his low firepower and lack of leadership on the infantry side and the completely useless tanks..."

Well between that and Perry's comment I guess it really is an American Counterattack despite appearing to be an Italian attack.

Sorry for the delayed response I've had computer issues over the last three days. My thanks to you both for your replies.

Kev