The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Hi all,
I am cross posting this from the rules folder, because there are more players who practice SASL over here and who can answer my question.
Trying a comeback to SASL after perhaps 15 years of being away from that system.
And I have a basic question about the 130 BPV of Infantry MMC.
S15.1 says that you use rules H1.2-26, H1.28 and H1.74-83.
Do you add the PF range to the German squads BPV after H1.211?
And do you multiply the BPV by two for Assault Engineers and/or by 1.5 for Sappers/Commandos?
I would say yes, but the fact that S15.1 speaks of BPV but chapter H speaks of MPV generates some doubts for me (but it also speaks of a modified BPV).
IOW when S15.1 says "BPV" does it mean "MPV"?

Kijug

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
Hi all,
I am cross posting this from the rules folder, because there are more players who practice SASL over here and who can answer my question.
Trying a comeback to SASL after perhaps 15 years of being away from that system.
And I have a basic question about the 130 BPV of Infantry MMC.
S15.1 says that you use rules H1.2-26, H1.28 and H1.74-83.
Do you add the PF range to the German squads BPV after H1.211? [Effectively, yes. Say you have a German 4-4-7 (2nd Line) with a 2-range PF capability; that would be a BPV of 7 +2 (PF range) = 9 (MPV); then only those two 4-4-7 have PF capability (note a side record); that's the way I've played it.]
And do you multiply the BPV by two for Assault Engineers and/or by 1.5 for Sappers/Commandos? [Yes; if the BPV for a German 5-4-8 is 13, make him an assault engineer and 13 (BPV) x2 (AE) = 20 (MPV)]
I would say yes, but the fact that S15.1 speaks of BPV but chapter H speaks of MPV generates some doubts for me (but it also speaks of a modified BPV).
IOW when S15.1 says "BPV" does it mean "MPV"? [BPV=Basic Point Value, see back of unit chit; MPV=Modified Point Value, after adding PF range, multiply for elite, etc.]
Have fun!

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Thanks.
S15.1 speaks of BPV and not MPV, thus my question.

Kijug

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
Thanks.
S15.1 speaks of BPV and not MPV, thus my question.
OK, I see. Guess I never thought too hard about it. It doesn't make sense to get 130 BPV, then modify/upgrade to your hearts content. So I guess I've always played as "MPV".

However, reading Chapter H1.204, I think is the clue, "...by recording in the "MPV ea" column the MMC's BPV (first adjusted as per 1.22-.24, if applicable)...." I think this clarifies the situation. You record the "modified BPV" as "MPV ea" on the Purchase Roster (but it's still considered "BPV", if modified due to 1.22-.24). So "modified BPV"=BPV but is recorded as "MPV ea".

For instance, if you have a German 5-8-3 (elite) for 13 BPV and you want to make him an Assault Engineer, then his BPV becomes 13 x2 = 26 [new] BPV and is recorded in the "MPV ea" column. This is the way I've played it. Hence, I usually go for a pile of 1st line units (quantity over quality) and seldom upgrade my unit selections.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I also have played the way you do.
It was only coming back to chapter S and having to re-read it after so many years that I had a doubt.
I think that the reasoning is that, say, a Sapper, has a BPV 1.5 times the "normal" BPV : that that BPV is called "MPV" is just because the base one is used to calculate the Sapper's one.
But the result actually is the Sapper's BPV...